Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior Fan Will Not Switch Off

Views : 6443

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 14:49   #1
JonLow
Spitfire44

Default Interior Fan Will Not Switch Off

I have a 2002 SE and am just experiencing that the interior fan will not shut off. There is only perceptible difference if the fan speed from the maximum, ie, auto, back down to 0 (off). Damned annoying with it rushing away all the time, have to turn the radio up.

The re-circulation and climate control buttons also occasionally will not function, LED does not light up either. O.K. next day or so. But fan is on constantly!!!

Anybody any ideas - HELP!
JonLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 20:26   #2
BulldogUK

Default RE: Interior Fan Will Not Switch Off

HI, i have just bought a V40DS and i am getting exactly the same problemn, my car is going back to the dealers on Thurs, so i'll let you know what they say about it,

regards Andy
BulldogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 20:35   #3
JonLow
Spitfire44

Andy,

Sounds great to me. At my wits end over this, can't imagine the dealership cost for rectification. I looked at the fusing to see if I could rig up a switching system but it also runs the aircon and heated rear screen/mirrors.

I await with eager anticipation for your update.

Much obliged.

Jon Low
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 20:40   #4
BulldogUK

I dont know if it's a coincidence but mine is a 02 model also, i still got 6 months warranty so im getting it done free hopefully

Andy
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 23:31   #5
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

this is becoming quite a common problem. there is a transistorised circuit which fails causing the heater to either constantly blow on full or not at all. this will be covered by your warranty. if not its not all that expensive. its a fairly easy job to replace
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:09   #6
SpeedyReedy
VOC Member

Not sure if i'm barking up the wrong tree but there was recall listed re a faulty diode in vent systems in 2001 cars.
Some of the 2002 spec cars could have been built in the time period specified.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...256BB900269258

Speedyreedy
S40 Gdi
SpeedyReedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 17:38   #7
JonLow
Spitfire44

Hi all, thanks for info so far. Unfortunately, I only had 2 years warranty on the V40 as it was a personal import from Belgium. It was a UK build spec, but you only get 2 years European warranty, but saved thousands! Typical, the first month it was out of warranty it blew a bloody great split in the turbo inlet hose! Bought the short hose - but £45 (Volvo ripoff prices).

Found the vehicle recall website of VOSA very interesting.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 15:35   #8
BulldogUK

Hi Jon,

Just got my car back from the dealers and it is indeed the heater resistor thats gone, unfortunately they can't fit it untill next Tues, so i won't know for sure until then.

Andy
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 20:31   #9
JonLow
Spitfire44

Hi Andy,

Any update/fix by the dealership. My interior fan has now gone the opposite way - packed up entirely now. With winter approaching I shall need to get to get it fixed, but being out of warranty I shall have to pay for it myself.

Regards,

Jon Low
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:47   #10
upv5
VOC Member

Jon / Andy
My wifes heater fan packed up completely last night on her series 2 V40. I hope it is the same problem as you have had because we replaced the climate control module 2 years ago and that was not cheap.
Any info on the part, part No, cost and labour time would be appreciated. I assume this is the module located close to the fan.
Thanks John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote