Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant leak when giving starting help/aid?

Views : 1441

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2020, 12:26   #11
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Might only leak when the part is cold and the crack is more open, it could close with the heat of a warm engine perhaps?
The thought certainly went through my head, but we've checked it out with a cold and warm engine, and when it did happen (when I was giving the starting aid) the engine was warm. Not cold.
Xariez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 14:51   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

The amount of condensate depends more on ambient temperature, how much the condenser has been cycling, humidity and even the slope of the road.
Warm, humid days in particular can see an alarming amount of water draining out.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 14:58   #13
Xariez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The amount of condensate depends more on ambient temperature, how much the condenser has been cycling, humidity and even the slope of the road.
Warm, humid days in particular can see an alarming amount of water draining out.
Okay, but say it is condense. Why did I, actively, see my coolant draining at a very similar rate, and losing 50% of my coolant before I was home (a 1km drive)?
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 17:16   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xariez View Post
Okay, but say it is condense. Why did I, actively, see my coolant draining at a very similar rate, and losing 50% of my coolant before I was home (a 1km drive)?
Like I said earlier, coolant level fluctuates so if the level is at maximum when the engine is cold, turned off and continues to read maximum when cold, you haven't lost any coolant.

If the coolant level rose above max during a journey which it can do, you wouldn't say that you have gained coolant.

Condensate and coolant are totally different and easy to tell apart so having the correct strength of coolant would have eliminated any confusion as to what the liquid was.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 17:30   #15
Xariez

Quote:
Like I said earlier, coolant level fluctuates so if the level is at maximum when the engine is cold, turned off and continues to read maximum when cold, you haven't lost any coolant.

If the coolant level rose above max during a journey which it can do, you wouldn't say that you have gained coolant.

Condensate and coolant are totally different and easy to tell apart so having the correct strength of coolant would have eliminated any confusion as to what the liquid was.
Fair enough, but it went down to half-way between MIN and Empty, and stayed there while the engine went from operating temperature to cold.

You are very right in that coolant and condensation are quite easy to tell apart (albeit I do have transparent coolant fluid), but since I've had some minor leaks previously this summer I decided to top it up with water instead of spend a lot of money on more coolant, while I were troubleshooting.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 18:00   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but it went down to half-way between MIN and Empty, and stayed there while the engine went from operating temperature to
In relation to coolant loss, if it's continually max when cold, what the level changes to during operation is irrelevant.

Quote:
since I've had some minor leaks previously this summer I decided to top it up with water instead of spend a lot of money on more coolant, while I were troubleshooting.
What you save in money you waste in time trying to work out what the liquid is leaking out.
What should be a 2 second job is now stretching to multiple pages on a forum and we still don't know for certain what the liquid was.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 18:09   #17
Xariez

Quote:
In relation to coolant loss, if it's continually max when cold, what the level changes to during operation is irrelevant.

What you save in money you waste in time trying to work out what the liquid is leaking out.
What should be a 2 second job is now stretching to multiple pages on a forum and we still don't know for certain what the liquid was.
Not going to argue and say you're wrong when the fact is the exact opposite. Since it haven't happened since I guess we'll write it down to condense (if it was a leak I reaaally feel like it should have leaked more since, right? It's been driven shorter and slightly longer trips, it's been dead cold and back to operating temparature, it's gone through it all), and if it comes back, I might come back here.

Just one final question: Does the AC produce condense even when off? It was never on during that day.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 09:48   #18
Welton
Premier Member

The A/C condensate varies depending on Humidity, sometimes you get lots and sometimes nothing. Once the car stops and is parked then condense will continue to drip underneath for a few minutes but it won't produce any more until the A/C is running again.

This 'mystery' water - remember that there are a few under-trays and wheel arch liners that can hold water after rainfall or car washing and sometimes this will pour out unexpectedly when moving the car uphill/downhill.

Oh and be careful 'topping up' with fresh water only as you'll begin diluting the coolant - this is not good for aluminium engine castings although I guess you've not put a few litres in.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, coolant leak, leak, t5engine, volvo