Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing the exhaust (possibly all of it)

Views : 1792

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 11:12   #1
volvo2
Master Member

Default Replacing the exhaust (possibly all of it)

I have a 1994 petrol manual estate (210k miles) with a blowing exhaust. Can the exhaust be changed (thinking of purchasing a Volvo replacement) by a home DIYer with the car on axles stands or is there not going to be enough room underneath. Also, just how difficult is getting it all apart? Anyone done this?
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 12:06   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Where is it blowing from? These are stainless exhausts, so generally last extremely well, but the clamps (not a great design) are mild steel, and can rust to nothing, so the joint blows. It may well be that simply replacing the clamps (available from PFV online and others) will sort it.

This has been the case on mine every time I've had an exhaust blow, except once where it was simply a crack on the weld by the main silencer box, which I welded up again as the surrounding metal was sound. Taking the main aft section out was beyond me, as there was no way I could manouver it past the rear suspension, so replacement is not simple. It may be possible if you can get the car way up in the air on a 2-post lift, but no way was it coming out any other way.
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 18:21   #3
volvo2
Master Member

I am not sure. It can't be that bad though as it just passed the MOT. I can hear it, so I'll take a look when the weather is better. I am hoping it is just one of the clamps you mention. I did the whole exhaust on my 1981 Volvo 244DL many years ago - just with the car on ramps. As I remember it, the most difficult part was disconnecting from the manifold. I don't fancy doing all that again and from what you say it is not going to be possible anyway.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 19:05   #4
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
I have a 1994 petrol manual estate (210k miles) with a blowing exhaust. Can the exhaust be changed (thinking of purchasing a Volvo replacement) by a home DIYer with the car on axles stands or is there not going to be enough room underneath. Also, just how difficult is getting it all apart? Anyone done this?
hi im an old fart and a bit wheezie but i did the exhaust myself its not hard just heavy and might be easier with 2 people but combo of axle stands and jacks it took me 2 hours from the cat back and maybe add an hour if you need to change the front and cat section,though tbh you will never find another cat that is aftermarket work near as well or long as the original volvo cat they have masses of precious metals making very efficient cat,i bought the exhaust from a german seller on ebay and is very well made and makes a nice sound and only took 3 days to arrive in uk,make sure you get replacement exhaust mount esp the metal one at rear section it will be rotten and bendy,,,,good luck
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 19:07   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Not in a single session but I have replaced the entire exhaust system with the car on axle stands. It is doable but obviously would be a lot easier if you have a lift.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 10:03   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
It is doable but obviously would be a lot easier if you have a lift.
Ah.. suspect you've been sucked in...

For my two penneth, the factory item is so good, save it if you can. They don't generally fail, only the brackets etc. Failed brackets quickly damage the system joints etc - catch it quick. Fitting anything else will see you doing things again in 3-4 years.

If you have to get under there, for chrissakes don't get sucked into buying a Halfrosd 'comedy' trolley-jack and stands. Invest in a proper hi-lift jack and 'proper' jacks-stands. And forget those stupid ramps. Halfrods have a lot to answer to.

4 x AS3000 Sealey stands ( or similar) and a vintage Bradbury 586 would be good, if any jack you see won't do 700+mm run your angle-grinder thru' the thing. It'd be the kind thing to do - put it out of its misery. Shown in the pic, is not mine, but you get the idea. Then pull up a chair and do your exhaust... and whatever else you want under there, sitting down. A four-post lift in your drive.

Not quite high enough, but if you're near the seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125028918...cAAOSwW6Jhklg3

I'd have his hand off. Anything else will take you an hour of frightening bodges, just to get things high enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Non mincing Jack 01.jpg (392.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 4th, 2021 at 10:35.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 10:48   #7
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post

For my two penneth, the factory item is so good, save it if you can. They don't generally fail, only the brackets etc. Fitting anything else will see you doing things again in 3-4 years.
Have to agree with you, anything aftermarket will last a few weeks over the 12 month warranty then you're back to where you started. I gave my exhaust a coat of high temperature paint to help preserve it a bit longer. I'm going to have to get the rear hanger replaced at some point in time but that's an easy job as I have an exhaust manufacturer close by who does excellent work and he will replace the original with a new piece of metal so I won't have to use one of the clamps that are readily available

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post

If you have to get under there, for chrissakes don't get sucked into buying a Halfrosd 'comedy' trolley-jack and stands. Invest in a proper hi-lift jack and 'proper' jacks-stands. Or those stupid ramps. Halfrods have a lot to answer to.

I wouldn't touch any Sealey, Clarke, Halfords jacks they are all junk that will let you down. I have my fathers Epco 3 tonne trolley jack which is now around 55 years old and has never leaked and works as it should. 33" long with a 21" lift.

I would recommend looking for a proper old school trolley jack that is in good working order. It will cost a much as a modern equivalent but will outlast it by many years

The only problem with these old jacks is the weight, it's back breaking trying to lift it into the back of the XC90 so I bought an Arcan 2 tonne aluminium jack from Costco a number of years ago as they get great reviews and it's the perfect 'portable' trolley jack

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (145.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1040620.jpg (80.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1040621.jpg (79.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1040623.jpg (79.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P1040619.jpg (79.7 KB, 57 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:28   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I have my fathers Epco 3 tonne trolley jack which is now around 55 years old and has never leaked and works as it should. 33" long with a 21"

This man speaks my language! EPCO or if you can manage it, a BRADBURY. If you must, a Weber or a Compac. And don't mince about... go high. And when they go, you rebuild the things. Your EPCO or BRADBURY is a family heirloom.

The piccy... One of these is far bigger and heavier than it looks, but takes up no more space than a set of 'clown' ramps. A bit dear, you should be paying £150-200ish for it, but at £250 it's the King of trolley-jacks, ( I have one, and welded some tyres on it to make it more portable) you'll never regret it.

The Arcan is very fine, good for roadside stuff, and the odd pad change. Or a junker for £10 from eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bradbury.jpg (74.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 4th, 2021 at 11:42.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:45   #9
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Mine failed at the rear silencer joint. It got replaced with a ferrita system about 10 years ago which has no issues.

CNG - You'll argue anything you won't you. I've been using halfords trolley jacks for years with no issues, both a low level and a SUV high lift. While I agree that you get what you pay for I'm sure even you will agree that any trolley jack is better than the deathtrap jack which comes supplied with the car.

Obviously use axle stands/railway sleepers/your choice of solid lump when under the car and never rely on just a jack (no matter what make/model/age it is) to support the car. I'm not that daft.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 13:46   #10
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
...I've been using halfords trolley jacks for years with no issues, both a low level and a SUV high lift.
I think you might be one of the few who have had success/luck with Halford jacks. My son bought a 2 tonne Halford trolley jack and it sat in its case in a wardrobe for 3 years unused until he gave it to me. I brought it home and when I jacked up my car and the hydraulic fluid seeped out past the seal onto the garage floor. Sealey and Clarke which are made in the Far East aren't any more reliable and not worth wasting money on
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote