Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 69309

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 12:00   #11
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I’m not sure what the offset is but could have gander next time I’m over. There however is a spacer behind each wheel and it is about 10mm (3/8”) from memory but I didn’t measure it. I think the Evo has a 5stud 114mm stud pattern so maybe an alternative if looking for a modern design but I don’t know what the offsets are.

The tyre is I think 19” x 225 x 35. So not much of a sidewall but haven't noticed any clearance issues.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 12:10   #12
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

supposedly the B20F head - k jetronic fuel injection is the one to have or at least the b20e like you already have .IIRC , not a pushrod expert.

paul ivey at REC does some lovely oversize valves , if your thinking of upgrading .

dont touch the port floors and concentrate on the roof of the exhaust port , if you want to do something there .

im hoping to do pretty much what your doing with a LHD 142 .
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 14:03   #13
tdz840
VOC Member

I see you have the very special, only fitted to rudespeeds, twin crank B22. Understood it was an urban legend but there it is in the flesh!
Nice car and I too like the colour.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 14:10   #14
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

No definitely not an urban myth Russ. The twin crank system effectively doubles the output speed so it should be plenty fast when completed. ;-)
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 14:02   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A wee update. All the engine parts now ordered except for the lightened flywheel which KG is going to do for me. Just need to send a couple of pics on the weekend to ensure I get the correct one. This engine building lark is certainly buring a hole in my pocket. DJS has kindly given me a B20E exhaust manifold which will match the aluminium intake that I've sourced from Biggles24, so all slowly coming together. Darren has also dropped the block off at the machine shop yesterday and will drop off the head next week, so will know next week what needs doing and when it will be done.

I'll start on overhauling the twin carbs next week starting with an Ultrasonic bath clean. We have one at work so I will try it out first with one of the spare SUs that I have. It should clean the carbs very nicely. E-mailed the guys at SU to see what service kit I will need and asked them about the RN needle that Russ (tdz840) recommended. I also bought two SU carb books from Amazon so I will do some reading (as always) when they come.

Spoke to the guys at Trigger Wheels about a megajolt package, nice helpfull guy and he's doing me a deal on a package so a nice saving there and all the parts sorted. It seems pretty straight forward the install but I'll have a read up on the weekend. For those looking for some bedtime reading: http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4...allation_guide Once the engine is rebuilt I'll get it running on the single carb, then do the twin carb swap and then finally the megajolt swap.

Hopefully some nice pics next week as all this text is a bit boring. ;-)

Last edited by Burdekin; Apr 29th, 2011 at 14:06.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 19:28   #16
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I went and saw the restoration shop on Saturday. The guy has bought a house and set-up his workshop on 6 acres near our cottage, he had a business on the other side of Aberdeenshire and does good work so that was a stroke of luck. He had a look at the car when he was in Aberdeen and reckons it is in pretty good shape but with the paint cracking and the small amount of rust it needs attention. So will tow it up on the weekend and help him strip the car so he can start next week. I will help him with the donkey work to help keep costs downish.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 23:12   #17
pez
VOC Member

good stuff mitch,keep the pics coming!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:31   #18
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
good stuff mitch,keep the pics coming!
Yes please, want to see it all coming together Mitch!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:40   #19
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Will do. I've been learning up on tuning SU carbs. Planning on installing two lambda sensors in the exhaust and something like this: http://www.knfilters.com/airfuelmonitors.htm to get the carb/needle set-up good. Will be a learning experience.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 21:39   #20
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Some pics of the engine bay which was lovely and clean before the drive up and pics of the interior. Emailed VP about pricing new interior and just have to e-mail them the interior code tomorrow and they will send through the prices for me. I won't be buying the interior at the moment as I need to cover the resto guys costs, unless SXX takes off some time in the next few weeks and then I'll treat myself. :-)

Started painting the engine bit today but didn't go so well with the paint running. Anyone recommend a good for things like the sump and steel pipes? Anyone recommend a good place to buy new exterior bright work and lights etc? One thing I checked out today is that I have the mountings for proper seat belts in the rear so that is a result as I want to mount retractable seat belts front and rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (289.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (272.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (262.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.jpg (250.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (267.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (246.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0151.jpg (204.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.jpg (299.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.jpg (335.5 KB, 48 views)