Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Freebie Amazon project

Views : 19715

Replies : 164

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2011, 23:39   #21
Poopy

Wow what a lucky, lucky car.....that would have most certainly been destined for the scrap heap in anyone elses hands!
Poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poopy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 11:46   #22
222s
Amazoniste

Really enjoying reading this write-up - your thoroughness is really impressive & informative. Can't wait to see more!!!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 20:51   #23
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Despite the busy season up to the holidays, I've managed to eek out a couple more hours in the workshop. I've also managed to disguise some purchasing as 'early Christmas presents' which have so far gone un-noticed...

I decided there was plenty of 'meat' left on the original trailing arm bracket, so I am going to re-use this. Here I've straightened out the separated parts using heat, 15mm plate, a HUGE ball pein hammer and a box and pan folder...

004.jpg

Now it's pretty much it's original shape, I'm going to make up a pattern from the original using some brown masking paper...

005.jpg

006.jpg
Now the information is accurately recorded, I'm going to transfer it onto some 'Zintec' steel to make the blank for cutting...

007.jpg

I'll tidy it up now ready for cutting...

008.jpg
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 21:00   #24
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

While I'm still faffing about making up the new panels and repairing the floor section, I've ordered a spot weld gun. Rather than cut a big access hole in the wheel well for the big spot welder and extension arms, I'm hoping this single electrode unit will be man enough for the job of stitching it all back together. Hopefully it will arrive in time..

Spot weld gun.jpg

I also ordered an imperial 11/16th hole cutter so I can mount the original captive nuts...

Hole cutter.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist these eBay gems at £50 each. I'll digsuise them in the meantime as serving platters?...

002.jpg
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:54   #25
Poopy

Ooooo I like that spot welder!
Poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 20:29   #26
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy View Post
Ooooo I like that spot welder!
I just took delivery of it today and have yet to try it out, but in the meantime there is more info about it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spot-Weld-...item2317b6ba43

Regards,

Gordon
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 20:54   #27
asneddon
Master Member

That looks cool. How hard is it to get replacement sticks for it? It says they are special formula carbon arc 'pencils'.

I would love to hear how it goes, because I can think of a heap of jobs where that would be handy.

Edit:
Found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn2LLrNvBZI

They seem to be called 'Poke Welders'. I like the idea that it can plug into your existing arc welder.

Last edited by asneddon; Dec 22nd, 2011 at 20:59.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 22:22   #28
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

OK, a couple of little shortcomings already, but nothing that can't be sorted...

1.) The unit comes without a 'Dinse' type connector, but you can get these from eBay for about £5. I've borrowed one from an old stick welder for the time being which should be enough to test the units effectiveness. You should get a 35 - 50 watt one otherwise on the larger rated ones the grub screw won't be long enough to grip the terminal. I've packed mine out with some crushed copper tube in the meantime.

2.) There is only 3ft of cable with the unit. This will be enough to test it out, but really pants of you are hoping to get in to a tight spot under a dashboard! I'm going to have to replace / upgrade this as I think th e original might get quite hot with the kind of use I'm hoping to get out of it.

I'm using my AC/DC TIG unit as a power supply. I'll have to be very careful to remember to reverse the polarity on the terminals (TIG uses +ve earth) and keep the amp setting strictly to within the guidlines...

002.jpg

I'm going to test it tomorrow as I'm really bushed now.
I've got the boys all day tomorrow so this is subect to if I can get them occupied long enough to get into the workshop....
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 19:20   #29
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Well, I'm going to need a bit more practice as I'd like to make sure that everything is solid around this area where the link rods mount. I've managed to get a decent penetration welding 1mm mild steel to 1.4 mm Zintec. I'll try the other way around, but at least there is potential. It's all a matter of adjusting the timing and releasing of the electrode and therefore the time of exposure to the arc...

Weld from the 1mm side...

008.jpg

The penetration visible from the Zintec side...

007.jpg
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 19:27   #30
940_Turbo

How does it compare to plug welding?
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote