Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lock Barrel Removal/Replacement

Views : 1875

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 21:49   #1
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

Question Lock Barrel Removal/Replacement

Hi all

As the locks on my 1964 1800S all required a different key or had no key I decided to buy a replacement lock barrel set from Simon at Brookhouse Volvo.

I've replaced the boot/trunk and the filler flap barrels already as they came apart easily by inserting the relevant key.

My problem is that I do not have a key for the passenger doors and I need to remove these as well to accept new barrels.

Has anyone got any good tips for doing this?
PaulWphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 19:38   #2
asneddon
Master Member

Totally remove the handle and take it to a locksmith. Either that, or remove it anyway, and try forcing it with a screwdriver. If you break it, then take it to a locksmith
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 20:00   #3
D19VDM
VOC Member

I have the same problem with mine. Drivers door, boot lid and fuel filler cap use the same key but I don't have a key for the passenger door. I have an offer of 2 brand new door locks and 2 keys from a guy on eBay. He wants £32 for the 2 of them. Can I ask what you paid for the set from Brookhouse? I have just bought my 1800, its a 1967 and needs a fair bit of work. Its complete and roadworthy and my first issue is to find out what is draining the battery. According to my meter the alternator is charging, therefore i think it must be while the car is stopped that something is draining the battery.
D19VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 21:45   #4
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

I think the lock set (x4 no ignition * 2 keys) was about 40 +vat I think thats the way to go having all of the external locks on the same key is really convenient and worth the small extra cost

As to your electrical problem i would check the condition of the battery first as so often they suddenly go due to the cold weather and no longer accept/hold a charge.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 22:20   #5
D19VDM
VOC Member

The Battery condition is ok. I used the car for a few days and everything seemed ok. Then I came out of work to it one morning and it was completely dead. It starts as soon as it has the jump leads on. There is no warning of the battery going down. The engine turns over normal and the next time you go to it, it has nothing.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 22:56   #6
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

Angry

who is this hijacking the forum? ^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 19:03   #7
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWphoto View Post
who is this hijacking the forum? ^^^^^^^^
Just to clear things up this ^^^^ refers to a spam entry which has since been removed.

I managed to replace my passenger door locks eventually. Unfortunately i could find no other way of removing the door handles other than dismantling most of the door as i had to take the winding window out to get to the nuts on the inside.

Once this was done i discovered that the locks do not require a key to remove the barrel like the others - they are held by a 1/2" circlip at the bottom end inside a sprung housing. Once this is removed they simply pull out.

Quite an easy job once you can get to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulWphoto For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 00:40   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWphoto View Post
I managed to replace my passenger door locks eventually. Unfortunately i could find no other way of removing the door handles other than dismantling most of the door as i had to take the winding window out to get to the nuts on the inside.
I would seem that the Amazon locks are different to the 1800's? Anyway, I recently took off my door locks and found that I couldnt get to the screws at the back inside the door because the glass was in the way. Even though holes have been provided so that you can get in a screw driver. I noticed that there is a bump stop at the bottom which stops the glass from going down too far. I bent this back a small bit with a vice grips. This allowed the glass to drop down further allowing access to the screws. Later on I can just bend the bump stop back and it will be fine. Not sure if this will work with the 1800's though. Hugh.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 18:53   #9
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

That's good to know about not needing the key. The keys I have do not seem to work in the passenger door, so I'm probably going to buy a new set of locks at some point. I was having nightmares about sourcing another lock handle just so I could fit a new lock to it.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 19:41   #10
D19VDM
VOC Member

Default Hijacking the thread

If you were referring to me, I wasn't hijacking the thread. Or didn't intend to anyway, so apologies if I did. Perhaps as a classic car owner you should start behaving like one and help fellow owners, as that's what you are expecting of others.

Regards,

David