Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 70700

Replies : 1330

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 08:22   #1061
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1950 View Post
Just seen a Volvo electric in the local supermarket car park. It actually reminded me of a Hillman Imp but not as nice looking and totally soulless and uninspiring in design.
To be fair, that's nothing to do with it being an EV and 100% because it is an SUV.

There's a good reason mental health problems are increasing, and that reason is SUV's. They consume souls, at a similar rate as some diseasal cars use Adblue - not as quickly as the electrons, diseasal or petrol you put in them BUT they must feast on human souls to exist. This is why anyone you ever see operating an SUV looks downright miserable, every single one of them; it's because they're having their soul siphoned.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:44   #1062
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
To be fair, that's nothing to do with it being an EV and 100% because it is an SUV.

There's a good reason mental health problems are increasing, and that reason is SUV's. They consume souls, at a similar rate as some diseasal cars use Adblue - not as quickly as the electrons, diseasal or petrol you put in them BUT they must feast on human souls to exist. This is why anyone you ever see operating an SUV looks downright miserable, every single one of them; it's because they're having their soul siphoned.
Without giving it much thought, I grant you, apart from some modern Minis, what new cars do possess a soul of their own?🧐
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:38   #1063
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Alfa's have souls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Without giving it much thought, I grant you, apart from some modern Minis, what new cars do possess a soul of their own?🧐

Certainly the current Giulia has a soul that sets it apart from pretty much every similar traditional saloon still in production... and given a second thought so does the Stelvio when compared with all current mid size SUVs.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Mar 31st, 2024 at 11:34.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 11:41   #1064
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post

Glad I’ve got a CUV then…. My soul is safe

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 11:44   #1065
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Certainly the current Giulia has a soul that sets it apart from pretty much every similar traditional saloon still in production... and given a second thought so does the Stelvio when compared with all current mid size SUVs.
Watched one of those slam into a brick wall ten feet away from where I was walking…… Sad sight but the owner used to drive it like a knob

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 18:51   #1066
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Indeed….. If I’d had somewhere to charge it, I’d risk a punt at a Polestar. One of my neighbours has one and it’s been no trouble as yet and it gets lots of use. Think I’d rather drive a Polestar than an EX30

TT
To be honest, I couldn't afford any of those.

I've been looking at Nissan Leaf's. Granted, they're nothing on the scale of a Polestar or EX30, but more affordable. I know the range isn't very good either, probably 70 miles on a full charge in a warm weather and less than that in colder temperatures. All the same, its only town mileage that I do. I go on the odd motorway trip to clean the DPF out on my car, but its not like I need one of these super long range EV's that can do several hundred miles on one charge like a Tesla. Basically a city EV would do me fine and I can charge it at home.

I'm seriously considering swapping to an EV. For the mileage I do, it makes no sense to have a diesel car. I only bought it because I fell in love with it... I
guess my heart ruled over my head, but I just loved the way my Dad's V70 drove that it swayed me to a Volvo. Its a bit heavy on fuel for around town use (to be expected) and the road tax is now £365 per year.

I can see the benefit of an EV. There's obviously downsides, but for someone that doesn't do many miles, I think EV's work well.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 19:50   #1067
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
To be honest, I couldn't afford any of those.

I've been looking at Nissan Leaf's. Granted, they're nothing on the scale of a Polestar or EX30, but more affordable. I know the range isn't very good either, probably 70 miles on a full charge in a warm weather and less than that in colder temperatures. All the same, its only town mileage that I do. I go on the odd motorway trip to clean the DPF out on my car, but its not like I need one of these super long range EV's that can do several hundred miles on one charge like a Tesla. Basically a city EV would do me fine and I can charge it at home.

I'm seriously considering swapping to an EV. For the mileage I do, it makes no sense to have a diesel car. I only bought it because I fell in love with it... I
guess my heart ruled over my head, but I just loved the way my Dad's V70 drove that it swayed me to a Volvo. Its a bit heavy on fuel for around town use (to be expected) and the road tax is now £365 per year.

I can see the benefit of an EV. There's obviously downsides, but for someone that doesn't do many miles, I think EV's work well.
If you’re a town motorist, EV or Half Fat EV are the way to go. I have a Lo-Fat hybrid aka self charging. I have nowhere to charge an EV and the local infrastructure is insufficient. The battery range on my motor although low helps with the mpg giving me a good economy on a big-ish motor. My motor does 150-200 miles a week so the set up I have is ideal.
My Brother had a Leaf as a courtesy car and he loved it. He took me out for a ride in it and it’s a punchy little motor so you wouldn’t do badly in day to day traffic. His own car is a Kia Optima hybrid that has circa 32 miles on a charge. His motor goes six miles to work where they have allocated chargers if they have an EV/Chargeable Hybrid so the petrol engine hardly see’s any action.
There’s electric incentives by the power companies to give you low tariffs if you own an EV. A friend has an MG HS self charging hybrid and he’s got a deal where between 12.30am to 04.30am he gets low tariff electricity so he can charge his motor in the night. So he’s set his washing machine to run in that time period plus other things he can charge etc to take advantage of the cheap lectric. EV’s are fine, don’t believe naysayers. By the way, here’s a cheap EV…. If you’re daring enough. Someone local to us has one… Urgh!!

TT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0920.jpg (66.7 KB, 5 views)
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 19:55   #1068
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks, I’ve also considered a hybrid.

I’ve seen a few of those little Citroen’s actually. I’m not sure if I’d fit in it. Haha.

Not too many affordable hybrid’s out there? 5k budget

There’s a few Prius’, but I don’t like the look of them.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 20:46   #1069
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thanks, I’ve also considered a hybrid.

I’ve seen a few of those little Citroen’s actually. I’m not sure if I’d fit in it. Haha.

Not too many affordable hybrid’s out there? 5k budget

There’s a few Prius’, but I don’t like the look of them.
The Prius is a well developed Hybrid and a solid motor. The Honda Insight is supposed to be a good motor. I had one as a courtesy car and I was surprised by how frugal it was. Honda is another old hand when it comes to hybrid tech. Prius are the preserve of the taxi bods and when they sell them they’re generally knackered. You just need to keep your ear to the floor and see what pops up.
I have to agree though, the Prius design is a bit out there or the early ones are bland putting it politely. Hope you find what you’re after.

By the way…. The Ami looks like it was something drawn on a piece of paper by a three year old with a box of crayons.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Mar 31st, 2024 at 20:48.
The Thong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 17:55   #1070
The Thong
VOC Member

Makes you wonder doesn’t it? I’ve seen this with Polestar too.

https://youtu.be/77Yo4LpksWM?si=kdnZqAz-gfnPYqT8

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Apr 1st, 2024 at 17:58.
The Thong is online now   Reply With Quote