Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2 front springs, how to tell which way up is right.

Views : 1443

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2020, 13:14   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default P2 front springs, how to tell which way up is right.

Hi all, I very stupidly didn't mark / remember which way the front springs came off while I'm doing the top mounts, I'd usually be able to tell by which way up the spring compressors are, but I've decided to repaint the springs, so no reference marks anymore, although the spring does appear to fit on the strut and go back together regardless of which way up I put it, is there a definitive way of telling which end is the top? It's worth noting that these are h and r -60 springs and no they don't have the plastic / rubber sheath attached to the bottoms anymore so I don't have that point of reference either.

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 16:56   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I've applied guesswork, although I think I've got the passengers side wrong, as the spring seems to sit a good 4 or 5mm closer to the turret on that side, a road test in a few minutes will confirm.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 20:13   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
I've applied guesswork, although I think I've got the passengers side wrong, as the spring seems to sit a good 4 or 5mm closer to the turret on that side, a road test in a few minutes will confirm.
Did you make it back home??

Ps. I don't know the answer to the question

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 20:17   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Maybe I guessed correctly, as no untoward noises from either side, and I did deliberately find a few uneven surfaces and things, not a peep, I even went lock to lock while going slowly a good few times, as I'd expect serious noise if I had coils contacting bodywork, but nothing.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 21:00   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

When the spring is the correct way up it will sit square and parallel to the strut. If upside down it will be bowed out of line and generally rub on the inner wing.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 21:12   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
When the spring is the correct way up it will sit square and parallel to the strut. If upside down it will be bowed out of line and generally rub on the inner wing.
I see, I know that's the case with the standard springs, but was unsure if the same applied to aftermarket / lowering springs, as I did try just dropping the spring onto the strut and into the lower seat against the perch both ways up several times, and it seemed to lean off to one side so the shock top wasn't in the centre regardless of which way up I tried, I went with the way I have it now as the top of the spring looked to be in the same place on the top spring seat as it obviously makes an indentation over time, as I say no funny noises or anything so I must have guessed right, although even if it is wrong it's not causing a problem, the car drives a lot better now, it had a tendency to tramline, and more pertinently, see saw down the road under hard acceleration, that's pretty much eliminated now, I'm calling this one a win.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 21:18   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

I don't have any experience with lowering springs. Aftermarket don't come with the rubber cushion on the bottom coil, so easy to get them upside down. I fitted Lesjofors to the front of mine back in the summer and it rode like an absolute bitch. have just fitted the correct genuine Volvo springs and ride is now restored. The Volvo springs come with the rubber seat already fitted, so impossible to fit upside down.
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 21:45   #8
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I've just returned from picking my step daughter up from work and there is a very slight creak / clunk from the passengers side, but absolutely nothing like what I'd expect to hear if I had turret spring contact, although I don't think the passenger shock absorber is in the best condition, as on refitting the top mount I had a bit of a job getting the nut back on because the shock kept sinking before I could do it, although new shocks are in the plan anyway as these ones are quite old now.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 14:25   #9
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I don't have any experience with lowering springs. Aftermarket don't come with the rubber cushion on the bottom coil, so easy to get them upside down. I fitted Lesjofors to the front of mine back in the summer and it rode like an absolute bitch. have just fitted the correct genuine Volvo springs and ride is now restored. The Volvo springs come with the rubber seat already fitted, so impossible to fit upside down.
Interesting... I didn't know they had such an impact on ride quality. What I do know about my S40 is it is definitely on aftermarket springs on the front as the place I bought it from got someone to replace one very quickly when I went to buy the car as one actually snapped on the test drive (glad it didn't break afterwards!) and I never noticed until I also owned a V40 how different the ride is. The V40 glides over rougher roads and so on, but the S40 has always been a bit... sensitive to potholes and a bit tough if you know what I mean.

Can you remember how much you paid for genuine springs?
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 14:45   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P156KWJ View Post
Interesting...

Can you remember how much you paid for genuine springs?
I had a front spring snap in the garage back in the summer, so it was a panic buy to replace. Lesjofors from GSF at about £60 for the pair.

Genuine Volvo purchased just before Christmas £230 inc Vat and discount from the local main dealer - for the pair. Three day delivery from Sweden. Correct springs with the brown and light grey markings to match the chassis plate - comfort suspension.

Then on last Sunday, I get the car out of the garage and a loud 'twang' from the rear end - broken rear spring. Now waiting for two new rears to come from Sweden, should be here next week.