Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated Screen vs Pre-Heater T8

Views : 1640

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2021, 14:15   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxseeker View Post
Thanks for the responses - all seems to make sense. I use the remote start in the D4 but as it’s diesel it takes longer to get any heat into the car so I was hoping the pre heater may be more effective on the T8. The heated screen is pretty quick so gets around the issue at the moment.
The pre heater in the T8 is far more effective than remote start. I reckon just a couple of mins on pre heater is enough to make the cabin more comfortable, 5 mins and frost on the windows is getting well and truly softened
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 15:28   #12
Lexman8
Premier Member

The aux fuel heater on the T8 (and on a D5 or T6 that has it as an option) outputs up to 5kw of heat so as Philip Fisher says, it doesn't take long for it to be effective.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 08:24   #13
Guymcc

Does the heated screen come as standard on all T8’s? Or is it an option and depends on if it comes with HUD, are these both part of trim packs? New here so starting to learn about all the different options..
Guymcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 09:16   #14
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Does the heated screen come as standard on all T8’s? Or is it an option and depends on if it comes with HUD, are these both part of trim packs? New here so starting to learn about all the different options..
Certainly more recent cars, the hud is default instead of the heated screen. It’s one or the other. No cost to pick between them.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 11:59   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

We had a heavy frost last night and the car also had not been out on Sunday so the car was stone cold and very iced up. "Frosty the Volvo" looked all white when I looked out of the house window.

I started the pre heater via the app over breakfast and got into the car 8 mins later. The windscreen was melting and ice was sliding down the screen. A quick flip of the wipers and it was clear. Mirrors and rear screen were clear. Side front windows, the frost was still there but was very soft. I wound the windows half down and up again and this displaced the frost and cleared the windows. Rear side windows were still iced but I didn't worry about them.

So 8 mins on pre heater and easily ready to go.

As an aside there was so much frost that the charging flap door was all iced over on the hinge and it wouldn't shut properly. Was fine by the time I got to work 50 miles later.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:15   #16
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
We had a heavy frost last night and the car also had not been out on Sunday so the car was stone cold and very iced up. "Frosty the Volvo" looked all white when I looked out of the house window.

I started the pre heater via the app over breakfast and got into the car 8 mins later. The windscreen was melting and ice was sliding down the screen. A quick flip of the wipers and it was clear. Mirrors and rear screen were clear. Side front windows, the frost was still there but was very soft. I wound the windows half down and up again and this displaced the frost and cleared the windows. Rear side windows were still iced but I didn't worry about them.

So 8 mins on pre heater and easily ready to go.

As an aside there was so much frost that the charging flap door was all iced over on the hinge and it wouldn't shut properly. Was fine by the time I got to work 50 miles later.
I know you have said in earlier posts that you leave yours on charge overnight every night. How do you prevent rain and snow getting into the charging area, or do you not bother about it? We had about 3 inches of snow on Sunday and if I had been charging the whole section would have been completely full of snow and then copious amounts of water as it melted. I've always thought this may cause problems. Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:38   #17
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I know you have said in earlier posts that you leave yours on charge overnight every night. How do you prevent rain and snow getting into the charging area, or do you not bother about it? We had about 3 inches of snow on Sunday and if I had been charging the whole section would have been completely full of snow and then copious amounts of water as it melted. I've always thought this may cause problems. Thanks.
I leave mine in too. It’s a seal once in place. Almost certainly designed to be left outside in all weathers. There are many on this forum that have done so for years without issue.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:51   #18
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I just don't worry about it and no problems so far. When we had a load of snow I roughly brushed the snow out of the charge socket area, then unplugged it and put the cap back on. It was only this morning when the frost stopped the flap from closing (but didn't stop the cover from going over the terminals).

If there is either a charge plug in place, or the black round cover over the terminals then I don't think there is a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 18:36   #19
Guymcc

Going by your experience of the colder temps Philip, it sounds like the pre-heater via the app is no problem at all and actually easier than perhaps waiting in the car whilst the heated screen does its thing, also then the HUD is a bonus..sort of..haha..

Old Aug 23rd, 2021, 20:21   #20
FattyToad
My2020 69 plate V90 T8

Default Help with my 2nd purchase.

I have the V90 2020 T8. I bought it nearly new so didn’t get a handover from a volvo dealer.

In relation to the preconditioning options on my car.

1. Does the preconditioning, when heating, use the battery or does it burn fuel? From these comments I’m guessing fuel and that might explain why my MPG has dropped when I get into the car.

2. How do you set the preconditioning temperature? It seems to heat my car every time but that might just be because it’s not that warm?

Thanks in advance
FattyToad is offline   Reply With Quote