Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 CC drive mode switch retrofit

Views : 6750

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2021, 05:33   #1
ZenSpeedmaster

Default V90 CC drive mode switch retrofit

Hi all,

I recently acquired a V90 cross country. It is an amazing car but to my great surprise the car doesn't have a drive mode switch. This is usually located just behind the engine start toggle and would allow me to select eco / dynamic / off road drive modes.

No doubt this missing feature is a quirk of the seemingly strange Irish new vehicle delivery system where we often get screwed with lower spec cars than our neighbours in the UK. You might be interested to learn that we import well over 100,000 secondhand cars per year from the UK into Ireland. Usually considerably more than the amount of new cars registered actually!

The drive mode switch wasn't a deal breaker and I'm glad I bought the car anyway but now I wonder could the switch be retrofitted and the car's software updated to match? It would be nice to have the sportier engine and gearbox characteristics offered by dynamic mode and I would love to have offroad mode considering it is a cross country. I am also very interested in getting the Polestar optimisation but would this be possible without the drive mode switch?

I looked at dozens of V90s online, mostly in the UK, before buying this one. They all had that drive mode selector switch. When I found the V90 CC I actually finally bought, it was the only V90 I had seen without the switch.

I did some further research afterwards and I managed to find maybe 2 or 3 other V90s for sale that don't have it but they are the most basic models. It's a little hard to believe that they sold this V90 cross country without the ability to select off road mode. Also it is D5 which is the highest power diesel so I would have assumed that the ability to select the dynamic/sporty mode would be standard!

I'm sure I can fit the switch easily enough but I wonder if the cars software can be updated to give me the driving mode options. Any ideas?
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:21   #2
roundyuk

Wow, that's strange - my folks lived in Ireland for a number of years, the low spec weirdness was always very strange.

Have you had a look through the main Sensus screen to see if it is anywhere on the interface? Maybe its just the button that is lacking? Do you have the part in the car settings where you can customise the drive mode?

I suspect you have an actual ECO button somewhere on the bottom of the screen?

EDIT - Yup, even the owners manual seems to say it's an option; bummer!

You'll need a software update to make a switch work if you install it; probably more money than it's worth.

Last edited by roundyuk; Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:24.
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 00:49   #3
ZenSpeedmaster

Oh ya I've checked all the menus but there's no drive mode customisation available. I have the eco mode button and the esc off button on the sensus screen but that's it. I thought maybe the esc off button would activate dynamic mode but it does not make any difference to the characteristics of the power train. It will be interesting to see what they will want to charge for the software update.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:47   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

It must be a Irish thing as you already mentioned, even the Momentum trim in the UK gets the Drive Mode settings. Possibly you have the Cross Country rather than the Pro version of the Ireland market spec?

All's not lost though, looking at the Polestar page you car is suitable for the software.

https://engineered.polestar.com

https://engineered.polestar.com/ie/p...automatic-2019
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:53   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
It will be interesting to see what they will want to charge for the software update.
Just something to be aware of - it may not be possible to update the software to add the driving modes. Unless something is available as a Volvo accessory (and I don't think adding driving modes is) then it tends not to be do-able.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 14:15   #6
ZenSpeedmaster

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed the nearest dealership asking for info on both the polestar upgrade and the possibility of adding the drive mode switch. I will revert with info when I get replies. When I am told no by every dealership in Ireland and England I will accept it as true 😉
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 18:21   #7
Backinavolvo

Polestar effects all drive modes (IMO), so you could have it, but I guess just for engine optimisation as you won't be able to get to polestar mode to give you the different gearbox/throttle sensitivity
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 18:24   #8
ZenSpeedmaster

Is it possible to access drive modes through the sensus centre display without using the drive mode switch?
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 04:48   #9
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
Is it possible to access drive modes through the sensus centre display without using the drive mode switch?
no. not possible.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 08:51   #10
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Only ECO mode.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote