Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My way of driving and what it does to my car

Views : 24923

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: This is my driving style
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had no issues 26 5.69%
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had problems 2 0.44%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have no issues 254 55.58%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have had problems 45 9.85%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and all is OK 119 26.04%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and have had problems 11 2.41%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 15:48   #71
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
Not really, you need to consider what the oil does in comparision with what the coolant does and the areas of the engine they circulate in.
Modern oil viscosities are now frequently lower to enable cooler oil to get around the motor faster, cooler being less viscous (runny). This helps to eliminate wear on an engine with maximum tolerances as are found when a engine is cold.
Coolant surrounds the cylinder head and the block / barrels / liners, all high heat areas, but the bulk of the oil is contained within the sump, a realtively cool area of an engine.
That larger volume of oil takes longer to heat even though it`s pumped at prressure around the rest of the engine.
On top of that, the oil doesn't take the engine heat. It is a lubricant. So this means, where the engine coolant is pumped around, it is the hottest. The oil is ONLY used in bearings. Bearings of course do produce a bit of heat, but not enough to instantly warm up the oil (like water can).

So the oil will always take longer to heat up and will remain colder than the water as the oil has enough time to cool down in the sump...

As well hence the lack of an oil cooler on many motors, where as now water cooled engine can do without a radiator
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 12:39   #72
v40bart
Master Member

Another thing is the difference in boiling temperature of both substances, water is 100 celsius at sea level and oil 260-330 celsius depending on fraction and viscosity, which usually means that water will boil first anyway giving the false impression of heating up faster.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 14:32   #73
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40bart View Post
Another thing is the difference in boiling temperature of both substances, water is 100 celsius at sea level and oil 260-330 celsius depending on fraction and viscosity, which usually means that water will boil first anyway giving the false impression of heating up faster.
Absolutly correct...
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 18:23   #74
Daim
Brit in Germany

Is there something wrong with this thread? It keeps on saying "updated" and then there is no new posting. On top of that, it said I posted here at 3.16 pm!? But I wasn't even in the near of my computer!?
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 21:51   #75
GP1

Keeps saying updated for me to.. .
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 23:10   #76
faffi
Motorcyclist

It updates when somebody votes even if they do not write. I presume the last poster is graced with the time stamp.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 01:00   #77
v50inred

Before I retired I worked for a large Ambulance service.

The vehicles were hammered from cold some of the time by some drivers, some used to start them up and warm the engines before the first call of the day, some used to run in from one shift and go straight out on the next.

Some treated them sensibly, some used to try and jump every speed bump they could find.

Some vehicles used to run and run with few failures, some would have massive issues, normally electrical, which is a system operator usage has zero effect.

Hard use will have more effect on a vehicles suspension than anything else.

A hammered vehicle will take on the loose feeling regardless of what parts are fixed.

The bodyshell itself will age and become less rigid. Think about motorsport, seam welding is done for a reason.

One component that will suffer from how the vehicle is used is the turbo, as will things like engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

One of the most commonly replaced parts on the response cars was turbos when they went over to diesel vehicles against the wishes of the staff that used them.

Also brakes and tyres.

Engines and gearboxes were very rarely changed and things like shocks and springs were also rarely changed.

Obviously the DPF made the replacement of engines and awful lot more common. Lowest mileage was under 5000mes before the engine out two holes in the block in a mk2 Zafira.

One XC70 had an engine failure at low miles but that was later found to have been a wrongly put together bottom end, a bolt fell out from somewhere on one of the pistons. Big end I think it was.

On a personal note I don't rev a car overly hard till it is nice and warm, rarely use full throttle unless merging onto a motorway or similar.

There is little point in most urban areas or in the South East for driving fast as there is too high a traffic density and traffic lights for it to be anything other than pointless.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 18:03   #78
Redvol122

Mine driving style varies to each situation - I do always let the car and oil warm to temperate before taking it to 3k revs.
I had a brand new car once, I drove it constantly in the 'breaking in' period exactly how I wanted to drive it and that car was one of the best I've ever had.

Sad thing about today is the roads are in such poor condition, driving like a little old granny is the only option. But give me an autobahn and I'll use the cars full potential
Redvol122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 18:26   #79
gudgeonpin
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
On top of that, the oil doesn't take the engine heat. It is a lubricant. So this means, where the engine coolant is pumped around, it is the hottest. The oil is ONLY used in bearings. Bearings of course do produce a bit of heat, but not enough to instantly warm up the oil (like water can).

So the oil will always take longer to heat up and will remain colder than the water as the oil has enough time to cool down in the sump...

As well hence the lack of an oil cooler on many motors, where as now water cooled engine can do without a radiator

Of course oil absorbs engine heat , its in direct contact with the all engines moving parts not just the bearings hence the reason for oil coolers because merely returning it to the sump is not enough to maintain the optimum operating temperture and also why some high performance engines are of the dry sump type , oil very often is operating at higher temps than the coolant in severe conditions

Last edited by gudgeonpin; Feb 13th, 2014 at 18:34.
gudgeonpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 21:33   #80
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

I just treat the old girl with respect and keep to speed limits unless someone pi***s me off it pays off in the long run