Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cannot open boot

Views : 55498

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2011, 13:13   #1
dochara
S40 Owner

Question Cannot open boot

Hello,

Would anyone have a suggestion as to how I might open the boot-lid in my 2007 S40?

The remote-control key-fob will not open it and I can't think of any other way. We tried going in from the back-seat opening but couldn't see any way of opening it. Thanks.
dochara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 15:20   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Should be able to take the blade part out of the key (push black bit along) and then I think there is a blanking plate under the boot handle (near to the number plate lights) which you should be able to put the "blade" in and unlock the boot....

EDIT:
Just checked this on one of my showroom cars and it doesnt seem that they have it any more... but am positive you used to be able to access the boot in this manner....
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 16:25   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

yes you could on the S60/V70/S80 but not the newer small cars.

It needs some diagnostics , are 12v reaching the opening motor ? There is a black plug just up under the parcel shelf on the left once you get your head in the boot from the back seat , armed with a wiring diagram and test light you should be able to figure out what is not happeneing , and MAYBE apply 12volts and earth to the solenoid motor to open the lock .
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 17:53   #4
dochara
S40 Owner

Lightbulb

Thanks guys but if there's no easy way I'd better take it to a main dealer.

About the design - from a security angle, there isn't much point in not having a boot-release button inside (probably to stop an intruder accessing the boot) when all he has to do is lower the back seats! What were they thinking of?
dochara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dochara For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 18:32   #5
Simon04

I had a customer with the same fault on his 2008 s40 last week, if you take it to a dealer get them to check the wiring first as there can be a fault at hinge and could need wiring repair. Failing that probably going need a new lock aswell.
Simon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 22:58   #6
Multiplex

I have come across a few problems with the boot release mechanism...
1 – Corrosion in the boot release handle connector (you can unscrew this from the outside to check)
2 – Broken wires in the corrugated rubber tube that carries the loom from the body to the boot (seems to be the most common fault and a cheap easy fix). All the wires in the loom are black so if a couple are broken it may be best to get a wiring diagram if needed.
3 – Faulty boot lock mechanism
To gain access to the boot try getting inside the boot from the rear seats and give the loom a wiggle while someone else operates the handle. If the loom is broken you may just get enough contact on the broken wires to release the boot. Also try pushing down on the boot while operating the release handle.
If that fails remove the tailgate inner trim panel (you may break some clips doing this) then unbolt the lock mechanism and remove the connector. You will then be able to open the boot leaving the lock mechanism on the striker pin. You can unscrew the motor section (couple of torx screws) and flick the leaver to release the lock.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 23:05   #7
iainmd

My car's developed a similar but intermittent issue. The boot occasionaly won't open. When I try to open it when it plays up there's an electrical twitching noise from inside the boot mechanism as if it's trying to open but it doesn't release the lock.

I permanently have the message "BOOT LID OPEN" on the dash even when it's firmly shut. Does anyone agree that would mainly point to the locking mechanism itself? I presume that's where the micoswitch is located for detecting if the boot is shut or not.

Thanks,

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 18:52   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
My car's developed a similar but intermittent issue. The boot occasionaly won't open. When I try to open it when it plays up there's an electrical twitching noise from inside the boot mechanism as if it's trying to open but it doesn't release the lock.

I permanently have the message "BOOT LID OPEN" on the dash even when it's firmly shut. Does anyone agree that would mainly point to the locking mechanism itself? I presume that's where the micoswitch is located for detecting if the boot is shut or not.

Thanks,

Iain
The first thing to do before it fails completly is to replace the boot loom which goes into the car , it plugs in under the left side of the parcel shelf . About £30 from the dealer . They tend to break near the hinge after a lot of use .
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:38   #9
eretron

I had the same problem yesterday. As many others I found out that 1 of 6 wires was broken.. While you are waiting for replacement wire loom harness to arrive you can reconnect loose wire with another one.

If your License plate lights are OK Then you should connect PIN 7 Of the connector inside your boot to the PIN 1 on the connector of the microswitch on your boot lid.

Works like charm

Hope this helps...
eretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:31   #10
tic1976uk

Had same problem, managed to climb in to the boot take out the clips securing the boot cover and pull back enough to get to the loom connections. Removed boot handle to get to that connection and temporarily connected the new loom up which enabled me to open the boot. removed old loom and replaced the new one properly....Job done. Loom wires were broken and boot hinge.
tic1976uk is offline   Reply With Quote