Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aw55/50sn.l need some advice please help?

Views : 1653

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:22   #1
Dejan Aleksov

Exclamation Aw55/50sn.l need some advice please help?

HI guys,and thanks to all of you forum member,if it weren't for you I will sold this car much earlier,but this forum helped me a lot with this car and that's why I intend to keep it,but now the transmission has scared me a lot....I have a v70xc Awd 2.4t B5244t3 with this strange aisin box aw55-50sn geartronic, manufactured 00 Mv, with 130 k miles when I bought it.i know that it has a faulty gearbox in it, it has 2 to 3 delay and a mild bang into 3 gear,so I changed d&f the atf with mannol 3309.The old atf was never changed,it was dark brown almost black and it smells awful.On the magnetic drain plug there were small amount of clutch shavings or some particles,but only very small microscopic things that were magnetize on the plug not a big metallic parts, like a small nail in diameter,,and after 300 miles I changed it again and again after another 300miles.also changed the upper mount and the two little ones on the crossbar, and the lower torque rod for the box.after the change all was good for the winter,and when the summer came back after 10k miles.it was starting to act weird again,so I change again full flush from the upper radiator hose with Mobil 3309 13 litres and all was good untill I got the service transmission required on the dash.i was driving a 400miles trip on hot summer day on a hill incline with five guys and a full trunk when the transmission service came out.codes were P1618 and P0740...after that I flush it again now with genuine volvo atf 1161540-640 x 3jugs from 4L and flushed 12 litres.and again all was good for anothet year when another summer came +40 c here in Europe. So I now have garage delayed shifts double drive engagement after one sec.and harsh R engagement.All IS GOOD WHEN Atf IS COLD FOR THE FIRSTH ONE HOUR OF DRIVING,but after 1 hour I when atf is hot i putt the gear selector in D and nothing happens like I now suddenly have the neutral and drive option,witch I never had the previous years when I drove the car( very strange because I know 01 has this feature but on this car the feature came after three years of driving the car) it has not been there before,because when I put in D the car goes ahead in the previous years, and now its standing still when on traffic light in hot days,when I accelerate there is jerking and like thuging feel( this happens only when hot city driving) and when this happens there is a ringing or pinging sound I guess from the transmission when changing I guess from 2 to 3 or from 3 to 4 in D. Otherwise the car drives fine, there is no updates installed no b4 servo changed no valve body or anything serviced on this car. I bought a magnefine in-line filter and a Finn plate oil cooler witch I plan on installing them with another flush and see what is going to happen.what do u guys think about this problem.the car is for US market driven in new York for 12 years and its in Europe for the last 6 years,now with 156k.miles. Please give me some advice,because the volvo dealership is very unprofessional and expensive, that is why they lost the license from volvo. And now there is another official Kia dealer and a newly acquired license from volvo so they build a new vovlo dealership. The previous owner said to me that there is no service schedule for the gearbox and everything else is serviced in volvo dealership in USA. Guys please share yours experience and knowledge with me on this one because I ****ing love and hate this car. Not the car the transmission is the one I hate...thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Last edited by Dejan Aleksov; Jul 14th, 2019 at 13:54.
Dejan Aleksov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:25   #2
Dejan Aleksov

Plates from the car Vin and transmission,also forgot to mention that I changed the mas air flow with a bosch unit from fcp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-11-29-00-08-47.jpg (41.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-01-31-09-53-24.jpg (45.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-01-30-23-36-09.jpg (74.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Dejan Aleksov; Jul 14th, 2019 at 14:10. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 14:32   #3
Dejan Aleksov

Default Update

I went to volvo dealership and ask them to resset the transmission fluid counter with vida,they restarted the fluid counter and I felt like a much more torque converter applying and more lock up in the gears but the problem is still there. I suspect the ETM witch is yellow sticker magnetti marelly because I have oscillating and uneven idle even after maf sensor replaced,its better on idle but still fluctuate.. . The ETM flap is never cleaned so I will try that in the near future. I wanted to ask you guys about the total CAN update pn 30677038. Do I need to install that software in my car or not?
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 14:33   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

When transmission fluid has been so blackened and burnt, I would recommend repeated drains from the sump bolt rather than flushing because any debris caught by the filter won't be released with a flush.
Instead, it will continue to collect in the filter and could restrict flow.

Have you reset oil counter and adaptions using Dice and Vida?
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 14:53   #5
Dejan Aleksov

What do u guys think?

Last edited by Dejan Aleksov; Jul 14th, 2019 at 14:59. Reason: Well I guess brain service required :-)
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 14:57   #6
Dejan Aleksov

Thanks for the reply. Yes I reset the fluid counter but not the adaptation. The dealer wanted to reset the adaptation but I wasn't ready for the driving cycle it requires for the gears to adapt,because of work shifts. Should I do the adaptation procedure? And If I do should I first do another d&f and then go to adaptation.also before the adaptation should I install the total can update pn 30677038 or not? I also have a magnefine filter and external oil atf cooler... Should I install them first before the adaptation or it doesn't really matter I dont know?more concerned about the software updates and D&F before adaptation... the filter and cooler will be mounted either way.what do u think? I did 3 d&f when I bought the car in 300 miles interval. Another year later I did one flush through the cooler line
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 16:43   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

You repeat drain and fills with a few hundred miles between them until the fluid that comes out matches the colour and clarity of the fluid going in.

You don't need to do the full adaption process.
You need to reset the adaptions.
They are different functions in Vida.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 17:01   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Vida will also allow you to drive with actual gear indication showing and whether lock up has been activated.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 17:40   #9
Dejan Aleksov

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help.dont have vida dice,I go to the dealership for vida and the dealership knows my problem with the car but they dont know how to help me, except for a new transmission... I dont know the difference between full adaptation and just reseting the adaptation, and I bet the dealership dont know either...can u please send me a picture of (only resetting the adaptation) not the full method... If this si what I should do at the dealership.they won't give me the vida in my car to do the monitoring on the vida...they just restart the fluid counter for the atf,and the technician sad something about reseting the adaptation,but I said not to do it,because I didn't know there are two methods for reseting the adaptation and full reset and driving cycles... I thought that by reseting the adaptation I must do the driving cycle patern to relearn the gear shifts... Please send me a picture of what should be done in vida... So I can show it to the technician... I dont believe that it is such a complex machine this volvo especially the gearbox wow...and its a 2001 car...thanks again
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 18:17   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

See below for the 2 different adaption functions.

The indicator function in comment #8 isn't available on your 2000. My mistake.

It would be cheaper for you to have your own Dice and Vida rather than paying for someone who doesn't know how to use it.

Tags
atf fluid, automatic transmission, aw55, aw55-50sn, v70 xc cross country awd