Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 480 GT - 1994

Views : 1382

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:51   #1
GrantD5

Default Volvo 480 GT - 1994

I think one or two of the previous owners may have been on here in the past.

While working at Nissan & cycling to work I used to ride past this Volvo 480 pretty much daily depending on how late I was running. One day I stopped and it caught my attention, the fact the rear looks similar to a Honda Civic Ef, the pop up headlights function and being a peeping tom I looked inside the windows and was surprised to see the rear seats were not a typical bench but 2 separate foldable seats. I got to work and looked online at adverts and found not much around and prices pretty high for what I could pay at that given time.

So the idea faded away, I then changed jobs and started to drive for Uber so I stopped seeing the 480.

I did pick up an E46 compact that had a planned diesel conversion but with the new ULEZ coming in to London it just made the project far more costly with diesels being attacked left, right and centre so that got moved on before I got in to deep.

A few weeks ago I left my car at my old work place and I had to ride there to take my bike to a friend for some work, and low and behold I rode past the Volvo 480 and there was a for sale sign. I had to make the call.

We had a chat about the cars history and why the car was being sold and spoke briefly about the S60 in my ownership driven by my Mum still going strong. An arrangement was made and I picked the car up for peanuts luckily in comparison to what is out there online.

So its a Volvo 480 GT coupe, 4 seater, 2.0 110bhp petrol, 5 speed manual, heated half leathers, electric windows, glass tailgate, pop up headlights, air con, the coolest OBC ever.

I only have some iPhone photos at the moment, will give the car a clean up and get my DSLR out.

My Mum brought the S60 down for an MOT so it was only right to get a side on shot of them parked together. Passed just needs lower arm bushes and track rods attending too soon.

The car had a load of paperwork included which I sorted through today, MOT certificates, parts invoices and a few garage labour invoices, some pages of common issues and fixing solutions which I will also look through. I will list some of the history.

July - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs - Handbrake Cable Boots

July - Oil & Filter - Bulbs

August - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs - Brake Pads - Exhaust Mount

August - Oil & Filter
October - Rear Silencer & Pipe - Coolant Drain & Refill

August - Rear Shock - Oil & Filter
October - N/S Gaiter - Cambelt & Water Pump - Coolant Flush - Air Con Regas

February - Front Discs & Pads - Rear Discs & Pads - Mirror Frame Replaced - Door Check Strap Replaced
March - Oil & Filter & Motor Flush - Handbrake Cables - Trim Clips

September - Oil & Filter - Distributor Cap - Wipers

October - Oil & Filter - Air Filter - Aux Belts
November - Rear Exhaust Silencer - Mudflap

September - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs - Coolant - Brake Fluid - Power Steering Fluid

April - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs - N/S/F ABS Sensor

August - Clutch Cable - Rear Window Heater Elements Cleaned - Aux Belt - Oil & Filter - Fuel Filter

June - O/S Door Mech (Second Hand) - Air Con Electric Cable Fault Repaired
October - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs

May - Cambelt (Water Pump Not Changed, Genuine Part In Box Supplied To Me Luckily)
June - O/S Headlight Motor (Second Hand)
September - Front Coil Springs
November - Front Discs & Pads - N/S Caliper (Second Hand)
December - Tail Light Seals (These Were Sourced In Europe & Cost A Bomb)

May - Oil & Filter - Spark Plugs - Coolant Top Up - Brake Fluid Top Up - Engine Mount Replacement - Lower Arm Bushes
July - Speedometer Overhauled (Works Fine Except For Mileage Not Logging)
October - Rear Discs & Pads - Speedometer Cluster Circuit Fixed

March - Tailgate Struts (Second Hand)
August - O/S Window Regulator - Seat Belt Hooks (Part Not Fitted But Supplied To Me) - Radiator Top Hose
September - Seat Belt Clips - Air Duct - Alternator

That brings the history up to date, there is a service book with stamps in also and it has supposedly been serviced recently but no paperwork so I will be doing that myself and doing all the fluids possible.

On inspection brakes feel pretty horrible, needs a new centre light cluster as cracked, interior needs cleaning & central locking needs looking in to. Clutch feels horrible compared to my modern Ford Mondeo but thats life.

Any advice on these please go ahead.

Hopefully some updates soon.
GrantD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrantD5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 15:02   #2
dcw
VOC Member

Congratulations on taking on 480 ownership - the car will give you hours of pleasure and probably hours of pain, but they are loveable little cars and worth it all!

You will find some help on here if you shout when you have a problem, but your best bet is to join the Volvo 480 Europe forum (https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/index.php) where you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on.

All the best

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote