Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locking wheel nuts ..and no `key`...no problem!

Views : 36865

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:00   #1
vitalspark

Default Locking wheel nuts ..and no `key`...no problem!

Had this problem recently and after much head scratching found at local car accessory shop `Locking wheelnut removal tool`
At just over a tenner this was snapped up and the nuts were off inside ten minutes.
Its a 1/2" drive hardened sleeve with a tapered internal reverse thread which fits over the nut, two are supplied so will cover most sizes. With an impact wrench and a 2lb hammer they were straight off in a couple of minutes.
Very handy..but it makes you think!!
vitalspark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vitalspark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:49   #2
sarge
Master Member

Default RE: Locking wheel nuts ..and no `key`...no problem!

Sort of defeats the purpose of having locking wheel nuts then!

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:54   #3
Al115
Premier Member

Well, yes and no. It's more hassle / takes more time to nick wheels with locking bolts. Still possible though (as with most things!)

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...357v70-sig.jpg
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 13:02   #4
5lab

agreed, but in all fairness, to nick wheels you have to jack the car up at all 4 corners anyway, so i'd say anyone doing it is willing to sacrifice the hassle
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 15:22   #5
microman
Teenager at heart.

Default Locking wheel nut key

Hi,

we are in Bathgate and can't get the nut off. Can you tell me the name of the thing and where you goot it?

Thanks

Tom at bathgate dot co dot uk

Had this problem recently and after much head scratching found at local car accessory shop `Locking wheelnut removal tool`
At just over a tenner this was snapped up and the nuts were off inside ten minutes.
Its a 1/2" drive hardened sleeve with a tapered internal reverse thread which fits over the nut, two are supplied so will cover most sizes. With an impact wrench and a 2lb hammer they were straight off in a couple of minutes.
Very handy..but it makes you think!
LandRover Freelander 2004 TDi 105,000 Miles.
microman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to microman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 14:23   #6
BillKat

Halfords mate, seen them in there but not used them myself. Sounds like the same thing though.
In the past when I needed a new tyre and didn't have a key, the tyre fitter whizzed them off no probs anyway. Might be worth an ask at your tyre place.
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 15:12   #7
Viper_7
Premier Member

aye there's a few tools on the market to remove locking wheel nuts without the key.
Some locking wheel nuts do offer better resistance to others for the more common tool described previously, but they are at the end of the day just a preventative measure to the opportunist scumbags.

If they really want your alloys they will have them.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:14   #8
liamgibbins

Unhappy Dealerships huh

I have been down to my dealership as i was told that they would have master keys to get the wheel nuts off without damaging the wheels.

I was told that volvo dealerships never have had master keys for locking wheel nuts and never will but if i want to bring it in they would remove them and I would have to purchase another set from them (sounds like a money maker to me).

I also tried that removal set from halfords but the diamiter of the nuts on my car is greater then the set, I have a volvo s40 sport 2002 edition and the nut is of the type that has a spinning washer on the outer side. I have been told the only way to get it off without the master key from the dealership would be to drill them off, is this right or does the dealership in hull not know what they are talking about and want to make more cash form me?
liamgibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:48   #9
Rubic cube

[QUOTE=liamgibbins;563671]I have been down to my dealership as i was told that they would have master keys to get the wheel nuts off without damaging the wheels.

I was told that volvo dealerships never have had master keys for locking wheel nuts and never will but if i want to bring it in they would remove them and I would have to purchase another set from them (sounds like a money maker to me).

well i know Johnson's gloucester volvo dealer does have set because i just recently went there i think the dealer has to buy them of mcgard and they found my key no problem £21 they then order a replacement for themselves
Rubic cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:34   #10
Bernard333
Premier Member

Reading this thread has convinced me that McGards claims about security are exaggerated . McGard claim that the computer generated lock pattern can have an infinite number of variants , thats probably true inside the computer but anyone in engineering knows that working to tolerances plus or minus is what happens in the real world so it would not be that suprising if say 30 different 'master keys' covered 99% of nuts ? It would be interesting to know how many keys make a 'set' because that would give us a clue to just how insecure the system really is . From the 'master' set you will probably find a key that fits , its not going to be the correct key according to the original computer generated pattern dimensions or have the exact correct profile but it will fit the nut and be near enough to get it off . Problem is if the dealer then orders a new key based on the key number used unless they are very lucky its not going to have exactly the right profile and will put undue stress on the key and nut so how long will this key last especially when used to remove a seized nut which is common when a wheel has not been removed for a long period . The 'master set' solution solves your short term problem but blows a hole in McGards claims about security . Its a good way to get the McGard nuts off when you lose a key but probably better leaving them off and replacing them with normal nuts , thats whats been done on my 2001 V70 .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post: