Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Repair Sealant

Views : 3170

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2015, 16:19   #1
Johnaldo

Default Tyre Repair Sealant

I recently had a puncture, and as I have no spare wheel I decided to try the "ContiMobilityKit" as supplied with my V60. What I didn't realise is that I had a one inch cut on the inside wall of the tyre, so the sealant wouldn't work.

Anyway, all sorted with a new tyre ... but now I think I ought to replace the bottle of sealant ready for next time.

First look on the web was a shock - £47 !! I eventually found one at £22.

Has anyone else purchased a replacement and found it cheaper?

And, under the assumption that the compressor tube is full of gunge, does that need replacing too?

All advice welcome (except "you should have bought a car with a spare wheel").

John
Johnaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 13:12   #2
tonyfwoodall

Default Tyre repair sealant

Hi, did you finally get a an answer to your query? Volvo seems to give lots of advice on how to repair a puncture, but not what to do once the repair has been done and how to return to being 'repair-ready'.

Regards, Tony
tonyfwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 13:38   #3
chrisfr

Default Tyre repair

I recently bought a 2016 xc60 in the uk that allegedly had a tyre repair kit listed in the specification. As I live in france and that was where the vehicle was going this would have caused a few problems for me. Here when a car is repaired with a kit the garage has to have a permit to dipose of the sealent.
Not all garages are permitted to dispose of the sealant, and most wont even bother now because of the regulations. So the alternative is to fit a new one. Once a garage has started a job you can forget changing your mind and taking it to another. Again this is regulations.
Happily for me i was delighted to find when i picked up the car that it did not have a kit but a space saver tyre.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 19:36   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Last time I replaced the bottle of sealant the kit came with all the parts that needed to be replaced including a new hose.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 21:16   #5
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaldo View Post
I recently had a puncture, and as I have no spare wheel I decided to try the "ContiMobilityKit" as supplied with my V60. What I didn't realise is that I had a one inch cut on the inside wall of the tyre, so the sealant wouldn't work.

Anyway, all sorted with a new tyre ... but now I think I ought to replace the bottle of sealant ready for next time.

First look on the web was a shock - £47 !! I eventually found one at £22.

Has anyone else purchased a replacement and found it cheaper?

And, under the assumption that the compressor tube is full of gunge, does that need replacing too?

All advice welcome (except "you should have bought a car with a spare wheel").

John
Noted your comment about buying a car with a spare wheel,but do you not have room for at least a 'space saver'? You have already proved you cannot repair a damaged tyre with 'gunge'

Regards,Keith.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:59   #6
chrisfr

Default Tyre repair kit

A space saver wheel is about £150 from volvo and less on the aftermarket. The service manager at volvo said It has range of about 100 miles at 50 mph. Of you have any space at all to put it it is probably a good option to the gunge which will usually only give a temporary repair and only if the hole is not on the sidewall of the tyre. I prefer low tech and a wheel and jack is pretty reliable but how do you know your electric pump will work on que or the sealant will come out the cylinder until you have to use it? What do you do if it doesent?
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 15:47   #7
ksmi
Master Member

Cool It's only flat at the bottom!

Hi John, If you still won't entertain the idea of a spare. You could have a look on line at this,( I am told, the post office use it on their fleet.all 32,000 of them). puncturesafe

Regards,Keith.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 22:38   #8
kiwipatterson1981

I have a genuine v60 compressor and sealant kit in my garage. i replaced it with a space saver and jack. if you haven't yet got sorted i'm happy to sell it for whatever the going rate is.

thanks
kiwipatterson1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 11:05   #9
hancym
Master Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-T....c100505.m3226

I've used these for years. Originally designed for third-world locations I believe. Although only supposed to be temporary until you get a proper patch put on, I have driven around on one for 3 years. The beauty of these is they can be inserted without removing your wheel & don't mess your tyre so a regular repair can then be done at a later date.

Last edited by hancym; Sep 28th, 2018 at 11:09. Reason: TYPO...again!
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 23:26   #10
Nodwad

Question Space saver

Trying to find a space saver wheel for my september 2017 v60 r design.cannot find one ,can anyone help ?also would a full spare wheel fir on the back or not.cheers
Nodwad is offline   Reply With Quote