Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on x70/80 P3 models 2007 on

Views : 279910

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 11:43   #11
DGHick

Default XC70 (2011) Windscreen Reset

I am a first time user and trust I have added my experiences of water ingress in the correct location of this forum.

Having purchased my Volvo xc70 only 3-4 weeks back from a motor trader in my hometown of Otley, West Yorkshire; I was dismayed to find water dripping from the top edge of the windscreen into the passenger foot-well when parked nose-down in the rain.

I deliberated on returning my car as it had 6 months warranty, but was concerned that it might not get dealt with adequately, so having approached a number of windscreen replacement companies, got concerned about the 'city safe' laser device being properly refitted and calibrated in the event of breakage when removing existing screen. To cut to the chase I approached my Volvo dealership with the problem (knowing I might pay a premium rate, but having peace of mind).

Curiously, the dealership started making heavy weather of this repair - then contacted me to say that "did I know there were 2 or three stone chips at the edge of the screen?"

They quoted me £309 for refitting this or maybe I might wish to go for a replacement. I asked for photos of this damage which was not noted when I first investigated the leak and for them to send a quote for full replacement.

The first photos they emailed where too poor to assess this supposed stone-chip damage, so I asked for better ones. The second series of photos showed a stonking great crack running across the drivers side windscreen! I responded with the comments that it would be insanity to consider refitting this and surprised that this was given as an option. I also commented that this was not pre-existing, but had clearly been damaged during removal.

There was suddenly a marked change in attitude from foot-dragging indifference to an offer of an offer extraordinary generosity on their part by negotiating with Volvo the cost of screen replacement together with the dealership contributing £100 for the cost of the glass.

The deal was therefore the replacement of a Volvo screen and all associated work/materials for £305.

I responded that this was a satisfactory outcome to what was becoming a very unsatisfactory situation. Job done and overall pleased, but of course should not have been put through this.

The dealership acknowledged that this was a 'known about' and that's why they wanted to get a satisfactory resolution???

I add this to build the case and extend the appreciation of this fault with certain Volvo windscreens.

Thanks to all other contributors as their experiences were helpful in understanding the problem.

David Hick
DGHick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 09:58   #12
Jimbobmarshall

Default V70 p3 d5 185 2008.

Had my windscreen re-set a few weeks ago by local windscreen repair company. It was leaking water down the inside of the screen.

When I took it he knew exactly the problem, went to the cat and literally pushed the top of the screen away from the car.

Said he had seen it many times on Volvo.

Now sorted. Cost £30.

James.
Jimbobmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbobmarshall For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 20:39   #13
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobmarshall View Post
Had my windscreen re-set a few weeks ago by local windscreen repair company. It was leaking water down the inside of the screen.

When I took it he knew exactly the problem, went to the cat and literally pushed the top of the screen away from the car.

Said he had seen it many times on Volvo.

Now sorted. Cost £30.

James.
Hi Jimbob,
What was the actual work they did ? I'm not sure what resetting is - presumably they didn't need to remove the whole windscreen for £30 ?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 23:15   #14
hitandhope

Another one I think, although mine isn't severe.
Occasional drips of water from interior, 122 000 miles on a 2008 V70 D5.

I park nose down the slope, is the other way round better?

I also get the sloshing sound, I saw something on drilling holes in the wheelarches but has anyone tried sticking a PELA pump down that cover near the windscreen wipers?
hitandhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 15:33   #15
I-S
Premier Member

Our car recently started suffering from this issue - first occurence was a few months ago when the car was parked outside in the rain pointing steeply nose-down. At first I thought it was to do with the sunroof as the drip tray was very wet.

However, it's occured twice more in the past couple of weeks, and was significantly more water this morning (dripping from the interior light cluster).

I've had a look, pressed the screen from the inside and there's clear movement and able to lift the screen away on the passenger side at the top.

This lunchtime I've taken the car to a windscreen fitter (since it's clear from this and other threads that Volvo are going to be no help whatsoever), and spoken with them.

They've offered me two resolutions - they can inject some new bonding agent from the inside for £25, but they stressed that that would amount to a temporary repair and that once it's started going it's going to get worse. For £75 they will remove the screen, remove all of the old bonding from it and replace it with new bonding. So, that's what they are doing now.

The chap at the windscreen place said this is becoming a very common problem across a lot of manufacturers, and that PSA are now only warrantying the windscreen bonding for 3 years. He also said that the cause of the failure is from the factory - they apply silicone oil to the suction cups that hold the windscreen and the silicone oil contaminates the bonding agent and causes longer term failure. The vehicle manufacturers are aware of the problem but since the vast majority of failures occur outside of warranty they have shown no interest in fixing it.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 13:48   #16
I-S
Premier Member

To follow up on this - after a week in which we had heavy rains, I've had no more leaks after having the windscreen removed and replaced.

The fitters said that rather than what I mentioned above, with silicone contamination, the problem in this case was that there was no primer applied across the top of the windscreen. It had been applied to the other 3 sides of the windscreen, and to all 4 sides on the body, but not across the top of the glass. This results in a loss of adhesion, as many of us have experienced.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:47   #17
tt82
Forum Support Team

Can you send me the name of the people who did your windscreen please?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 02:13   #18
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I think it is time this was picked up with VCUK...

It just so happens I am finding dried water stains on the inside of my screen on the S80....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2017, 14:35   #19
Semnoz

I could live with the 'don't point car downwards when washing the roof' thing....

But this morning there were drips running down the inside just from driving to work in the rain....and I'm not living with that.

I-S, I'm also interested to know who did your windscreen. I'm often over Huddersfield way, so would happily get it done there.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 17:59   #20
40t

Default 2008 V70 - leaking windscreen

Just to say thank you to the posters on this issue - as a new member/owner, the posts prompted me to call Volvo UK, who answered straight away and agreed to settle with MRG to remove and re-bond the screen at no cost to me. Remarkable for a nine year old car, and moreover Volvo were extremely quick in arranging this and very professional - most impressive. I was also impressed with MRG, who were friendly and keen to help and who managed the job without breaking the screen.
40t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 40t For This Useful Post: