Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leased Vehicle & Volvo On Call

Views : 7623

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 12:38   #21
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
HI,

We use Lex (among others), and I have just spoken to their sales support to get clarification on this.

It does sound like they have a blanket response for all manufacturer that no connected car features can be activated. The rationale is apparently do to with Data Protection and the way the car uses the information. They have sent out requests from each manufacturer to request how the information is used, etc, before they change their stance on it.

I'm going to send an email to Volvo UK to get their take on it and how if effects us selling vehicles via Lex and will report back.

Kind Regards

Marc
Hi,

The above has been echo'd by Volvo. At the end of the day the vehicle is Owned by Lex, and as such they can request whatever they want in their Tcs and Cs. Their stance would be that if you're not happy with it then find a different lease company I guess....

This is similar to Santanders stance on servicing vehicles at main dealers. It is written into their Tcs and Cs that the vehicle has to be serviced at a main dealer. While Volvo UK themselves cannot stipulate this, as the owner of the vehicle/company renting it to end users, they can say what they want within their agreements.

Both of the above are far from ideal, but I guess Lex/Santander are the ones outlaying the money, so they can kind of do what they want....rightly or wrongly.

(The above is only my opinion and not that of Volvo UK or Bells Motor Group....)

If anyone would like to chat further around this please feel free to call on 01604 320693 and I'll advise where I can.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 12:42   #22
MtillingVolvo

Hi,

The above has been echo'd by Volvo. At the end of the day the vehicle is Owned by Lex, and as such they can request whatever they want in their Tcs and Cs. Their stance would be that if you're not happy with it then find a different lease company I guess....

This is similar to Santanders stance on servicing vehicles at main dealers. It is written into their Tcs and Cs that the vehicle has to be serviced at a main dealer. While Volvo UK themselves cannot stipulate this, as the owner of the vehicle/company renting it to end users, they can say what they want within their agreements.

Both of the above are far from ideal, but I guess Lex/Santander are the ones outlaying the money, so they can kind of do what they want....rightly or wrongly.

(The above is only my opinion and not that of Volvo UK or Bells Motor Group....)

If anyone would like to chat further around this please feel free to call on 01604 320693 and I'll advise where I can.

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:46.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 12:51   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
HI,

We use Lex (among others), and I have just spoken to their sales support to get clarification on this.

It does sound like they have a blanket response for all manufacturer that no connected car features can be activated. The rationale is apparently do to with Data Protection and the way the car uses the information. They have sent out requests from each manufacturer to request how the information is used, etc, before they change their stance on it.

I'm going to send an email to Volvo UK to get their take on it and how if effects us selling vehicles via Lex and will report back.

Kind Regards

Marc
well done ,

Here is what lex say about it according to the other post on this subject , in red is the systems they are talking about , ie the volvo wi-fi booking system . ON-Call has been around now for about 20 years so why are they banning it now and what are their plans when this is fitted to all cars by law in the near future ? They really are ignorant of the systems fitted to volvo cars.

We have been liaising with each manufacturer to understand their individual connected technology systems and to advise them that Lex Autolease will not be utilising such systems. Feedback so far has been extremely positive with one manufacturer confirming that almost all leasing companies have adopted the same approach (i.e. opting out of such technology in their vehicles) in order for them to manage their customers’ driver experience in line with their contracted responsibilities.

Furthermore, the use of connected services could result in increased costs and reduced flexibility for both Lex Autolease and our customers. At present, we utilise a mixture of franchise, non-franchise and independent garages to carry out maintenance activities. This provides flexibility for our customers and ensures our maintenance budgets remain as competitive as possible without compromising on service levels. By enabling connected services which direct customers only to franchised dealers, our maintenance costs would increase due to higher labour rates and this additional cost would have to be passed on to customers, something we are keen to avoid.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 13:20   #24
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Is VCL now definitely Santander? How long ago did it move from Lex? Wonder if Volvo did so because of this? Volvo would struggle to ban their own safety systems with their own leasing company.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 13:22   #25
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Is VCL now definitely Santander? How long ago did it move from Lex? Wonder if Volvo did so because of this? Volvo would struggle to ban their own safety systems with their own leasing company.....
Hi,

Volvo Car Leasing is indeed Santander (as of Sept 2017).

I wouldn't imagine it was because of this. I know the contract did go out to tender to various lease companies, so I'd imagine there were all kinds of criteria.

Kind Regards

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 20:23   #26
encroute

Default Update...

[Sorry, Long post...]

Extracted & edited from my (latest) email to the Broker......

1. So the Broker quoted their Quotation T&Cs
- "driver data will not be set-up on the vehicle due to restrictions set by the funder"
I pointed out that the Volvo on Call (VOC) system does not contain "driver data". VOC is part of Volvo's car safety and vehicle management suite.

2. The broker was instructed that VOC was a requirement, as initially we thought it to be a paid option, but in fact the MY19 XC60 (and all current Volvos) have it included as Standard Equipment - and there was no notification that this Standard Equipment was not going to be available to us. In fact their website still lists it as being supplied on the XC60. (See below)

3. Lex's T&Cs - the contract we did sign - do not prohibit these services, and in fact indicate they are acceptable, provided there is no liability to Lex:
CONNECTED SERVICES (this clause only applies if the Vehicle includes any Connected Service (see the definition of this term in clause 15(b) below))
(a) If the Vehicle includes any Connected Services, we will not be responsible for them.
[We accept this]
(b) You will need to agree any terms on which the Connected Services are provided (and you should contact the supplier or manufacturer for more information (including the terms)). The phrase "Connected Services' means services providing additional in-car services by use of an embedded SIM card or device which is bought from, or made available by, the Vehicle's manufacturer or another service provider (and includes, for example, real time navigation updates and Wi-Fi hotspot enabling). [We accept this]
(c) Connected Services may be provided free of charge by the manufacturer of the Vehicle for a given period. This period may be shorter than the period you have agreed to hire the Vehicle (including any informal extension to or an extended period of hire). We will not be responsible for the cost of any Connected Services, or lost costs (or other expenses) if your agreement with us ends early. If any Connected Services are withdrawn, we are not responsible for any lost costs you may incur. You are responsible for meeting the cost of any upgrades to any Connected Services. [We accept this]
(d) We have no responsibility to you for any loss, damage, cost or expense you suffer because of the Connected Services working or not working. [We accept this]
(e) If you sign up to the Connected Services, you may agree to provide (or actually provide) data to someone other than us. You are responsible for making sure the other party is using your information and data in a way you have agreed with them. [We accept this]
(f) Before returning the Vehicle, you must (a) remove all personal data or information from the Vehicle and (b) disable any functionality which tracks the Vehicle's location or provides access to the Vehicle. [We accept this]
(g) If yours is an agreement under which we agree to provide you with maintenance services, you must use our approved maintenance and vehicle related service providers and not those providers that the manufacturer of the Vehicle or other party recommend or direct you to use through the Connected Services. For the avoidance of doubt, these services include (but are not limited to): breakdown, tyre replacement, replacement glass and maintenance and repair. [We accept this - N/a as we have no maintenance contract with you or Lex]
(h) You must not use Connected Services to change the Vehicle's mechanical performance from its specification when it was first delivered to you. [We accept this - N/a - Not possible with VOC]

4. In Lex's initial email (19 September 2018 13:50) they said: "You will need to go back to the dealership and see if they can assist you.", and then subsequently refused to authorise Marshalls to do this.

5. There is a huge inconsistency in this market - I now have substantial evidence of Lex Volvo vehicles (brand new and older, on maintenance contract and without, private and company leases) using VOC as standard. his information is from both individuals and direct from Volvo dealers.

"As our broker, and a Nationally recognised vehicle supplier, I expect a better response.

I appreciate that there has been an error along the way, and that some of these systems are growing and cause headaches for you and the finance companies.
However there is plenty of evidence that this particular system, Volvo on Call is both benign and provides no risk or liability to Lex (or my personal data).

As our broker, you were aware of our requirements, and if we were to be a suspicious individuals, might assume that [Broker's name] knew all along this was likely to happen, but continued - to secure the business. I choose to believe this is not the case, as he was nothing but professional the entire time, and very patient with our constant enquiries.

However I now need you to represent me, with Lex, to authorise Marshalls in Peterbrough to release of the VOC "PIN" for this vehicle."

Fingers crossed again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC60 VOC as Standard.JPG (80.7 KB, 30 views)
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:02   #27
RobQuads

Looks like they don't have a log to stand on. Either they enable it OR you are fully entitled to get the contract cancelled as they have failed to delivery the specification ordered.
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:15   #28
Chief inspector
Master Member

I hear what youre saying, but VOC does in fact log personal data.

It logs all your journeys, A to B and puts them in a driving log with times, distance and MPG.

I know one fleet company are having a mare with people not relinquishing control at lease end, meaning the old owners can do all the start stop/ honk malarkey and the manufacturers make it difficult for them to resolve quickly and easily. What I suppose they need to do is take a deposit for any connected services and have a supplementary contract.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:25   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
I hear what youre saying, but VOC does in fact log personal data.

It logs all your journeys, A to B and puts them in a driving log with times, distance and MPG.

I know one fleet company are having a mare with people not relinquishing control at lease end, meaning the old owners can do all the start stop/ honk malarkey and the manufacturers make it difficult for them to resolve quickly and easily. What I suppose they need to do is take a deposit for any connected services and have a supplementary contract.
Nobody thinks about the SRS unit which stores all sorts of data on the driving and accident …

How many people get their VOC account closed when they sell the car? Erase their phone contacts and navigation destinations etc ? The new cars have a reset to factory settings option for the Sensus system that may well do all that for you .
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:27   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi,

Volvo Car Leasing is indeed Santander (as of Sept 2017).

I wouldn't imagine it was because of this. I know the contract did go out to tender to various lease companies, so I'd imagine there were all kinds of criteria.

Kind Regards
Volvo changed to Santander some years ago for their banking .. Maybe they have just simplified their finances with one Bank now .