Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

General ideas on recently purchased V70

Views : 645

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 00:24   #1
Grenadier

Default General ideas on recently purchased V70

Hi all

I’m new here and I just purchased a 1997 V70 2.5 lpt automatic. 180k on the clock and the car has no history.

I’ve booked it in for a service this Saturda, but looking to see if this was your car, what would you do?

I have looked under the bonnet and seems nice and clean, starts and runs, and drives well. I know the suspension needs attebetion as when I push down the left hand side, the top of the strut jumps around!

Was also looking to get advice on tuning and getting more HP.

Cheers guys, look forward to hearing your comments.
Grenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 16:05   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

First off, welcome to the forum and the world of Volvo motoring.

Car with no history, you need to start with the basics: change engine oil/filter, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and air filter. Not sure if yours has a cabin air filter, if it does change that as well. At that mileage and no history change the timing belt and auxiliary belt. Fit new tensioners to both and check the water pump for signs of weeping. If the pump looks ok leave well alone - if the pump is changed only ever fit a genuine Volvo pump, not a pattern. Check all the coolant/heater hoses and renew as necessary

Next strip the brakes and renew as necessary, then look at the suspension.

I would concentrate on the engine/transmission first as a priority, then brakes, then suspension. While you are doing the major jobs you can look over the rest and change bulbs etc and generally fuss over the cosmetics/valeting.

As for tuning: I would leave well alone, get the car into good reliable condition and enjoy as is. And don't start multiple threads asking the same thing.

Last edited by ITSv40; Dec 11th, 2018 at 16:12.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 16:19   #3
Grenadier

Hi ITSV40

Many thanks for your reply.

As mentioned, it's going for a service this Saturday, so all the fluids/coolants etc should be changed.

I do know the right hand side suspension is not good - when I pop the bonnet and push down on the right hand side, the top of the suspension moves around, and the left hand side doesn't.

Timing belt and Tensioner - im a basic novice mechanic with the help of you tube - would you leave this to the experts?

I only paid £600 for the car..

could I ask your thoughts on why you would leave well alone with regards to tuning?

Cheers

Rob
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 16:49   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
Hi ITSV40

Many thanks for your reply.

As mentioned, it's going for a service this Saturday, so all the fluids/coolants etc should be changed.

I do know the right hand side suspension is not good - when I pop the bonnet and push down on the right hand side, the top of the suspension moves around, and the left hand side doesn't.

Timing belt and Tensioner - im a basic novice mechanic with the help of you tube - would you leave this to the experts?

I only paid £600 for the car..

could I ask your thoughts on why you would leave well alone with regards to tuning?

Cheers

Rob
Regards the timing belt change: it is fairly straight forward as far as belts are concerned, however, it seems a bit strange that you are getting a garage to change the fluids etc while contemplating a critical technical job. Logically it would be the other way round.

With the tuning: I have been around the old car scene for many years and originality is king, so I am biased against modifications. However, on a practical note, your car is 20 odd years old with unknown history and not the most 'sporting' to begin with. So why would you spend money on an unknown and chase horsepower. In my experience once you start chasing horsepower it is never ending.You would have been better off buying a T5 in the first place as they are sorted from the factory and awesome performance. My son has had two V50 T5's and truly sleepers in everyway. My C70 has plenty of performance as standard and I would think your V70 is going to be similar.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 17:12   #5
Grenadier

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

I thought I would get the car to a garage so they could cast their professional eyes over it, and whilst there, change the fluids etc.

I was looking for a T5 but to be honest they were just out of my price range. I only wanted a little weekend run around and something to play with really, and I f I could add some more horses along the way then great.

have you changed your own timing belt/tensioner before?

cheers
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 17:29   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

That all makes sense

I do all my own servicing apart from aircon and electronics. Have been around the old car scene since I was a teenager and restored several cars - last nut and bolt to concours. Several years ago my son bought a XR3i as a one season summer run around and then realised how solid the shell was and decided to restore it. That was a last nut and bolt job and a great bonding exercise for us both - he still has it and comes out when dry.

I find one drawback with forums is that you never know someone's capabilities by simply reading a posting or indeed what their background is. Good luck with your new car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabbi 002.jpg (393.4 KB, 6 views)
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 17:38   #7
Grenadier

Thanks Mate

The XR3i - I used to have an XR2i an dthat was fun!

Fair play to you on the servicing element - I will try and do my own after the frist service and Id like to know if there is an endless list of things wrong with the car!

fancy changing the timing belt for some cash..?!

Rob
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 18:05   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

If only I had time. Four cars, 'er indoors, an acre of garden and 'normal' family life keep me busy.

I would build up a rapport with the garage that is doing the servicing this weekend and let them do the complicated work and you do the simpler jobs. You will also find an endless supply of good technical advice and helpful folks on here to help you along.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 23:52   #9
Grenadier

I know the score matey - have a 9 yr old boy and 6momth old girl to occupy at weekends so finding the time to do do the harder mechanical jobs will be tough!

And er indoors!

Just not enough hours in the day!!

Just a thought - is there a thread here for volvos people are selling?