Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spark plugs

Views : 1075

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:47   #1
2000v70

What plugs you recommend for my 2000 Wreg T5 new shape?? automatic??? wanting to replace as stuttering on foot to floor! and where to get em from??(south Yorks) Halford seems the best and cheapest place what you recommend>?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:36   #2
chow

if halfrauds are the cheapest/ best its the first time ! id go to the nearest gsf and get either bosch or ngk,s (bosch coppers are about six quid for five iirc) http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

Last edited by chow; Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:43.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 16:14   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

NGK Copper V grove is my preference. Whether the V makes a difference I am not sure.
The V90 takes multi-point NGK Copper plugs.

As chow says, Halfrauds are not going to be the cheapest place to get them, any other semi-decent motor factor/auto shop will be.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:12   #4
Cypher007
Master Member

Default also

id check/change your HT leads, distributor cap, and rotor arm. also check the HT coil low tension connections for corrosion. the leads can be bought for about half volvo price, for exactly the same set/brand, from http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/, and the distributor cap and rotor arm can be bought from a Bosch agent for about half volvo price also, and there exactly the same parts. i use denso iridium spark plugs, but there not cheap, then again you shouldnt need to replace them for years.

p.s. one last check to carry out is the boost pressure, BSR do a good guage, if its too high get the actuator/rubber pipes checked, if its too low check the whole intake system from the turbo onwards for air leaks. it could even be a faulty air flow meter. actually get volvo to read the codes out, it might save some time and money replacing parts on the car.

Last edited by Cypher007; Oct 31st, 2006 at 09:23.
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:20   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher007 View Post
id check/change your HT leads, distributor cap, and rotor arm.
wise words indeed....
i would also check your vacuum hoses for leakage especially the hose elbow connection to the inlet manifold...
cheers
jod
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:54   #6
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher007 View Post
id check/change your HT leads, distributor cap, and rotor arm. also check the HT coil low tension connections for corrosion. the leads can be bought for about half volvo price, for exactly the same set/brand, from http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/, and the distributor cap and rotor arm can be bought from a Bosch agent for about half volvo price also, and there exactly the same parts. i use denso iridium spark plugs, but there not cheap, then again you shouldnt need to replace them for years.

p.s. one last check to carry out is the boost pressure, BSR do a good guage, if its too high get the actuator/rubber pipes checked, if its too low check the whole intake system from the turbo onwards for air leaks. it could even be a faulty air flow meter. actually get volvo to read the codes out, it might save some time and money replacing parts on the car.

I run Bosch coppers in my 99 R, i bought all of my service items from Euro Carparts,

Gary.

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 00:26   #7
DSK
C70 T5

As mentioned above by others, the fault may not be with the spark plugs but another component that is the root of your problem.

However, if you do replace your spark plugs, its worth noting one thing. Its best to be very careful when changing to another manufacturer/upgrading your spark plugs. Modern cars equipped with all these fancy management sensors etc use spark plugs as a communication port into the combustion process and can act as a sensor as a part of a highly sophisticated system. So in some cases it is wise to only use the vehicle manufacturer's specified spark plugs (my cousins BMW V10 M5 is a prime example of this as it will only run on the NGK LKR8AP plugs).

My BMW 328i for example, runs fine on standard NGK and Denso plugs, but feels less responsive on Bosch Super Yytrium.

In the trade, we mainly use NGK and Denso spark plugs due to the high quality of manufacture but we have never been let down by any Denso spark plugs, only every impressed! (Always ran my Supra TT on Denso, I am putting these in my T5 next service!) As far as Bosch plugs go, we are happy to use them but only the standard specification ones nothing uprated. (T5's have a very high quality platinum plugs fitted as standard anyway I believe).

Also, just for your information you may want to take a look at the following sites.

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/ (Denso spark plugs)

http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/ (NGK)

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/ (Bosch)
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 01:32   #8
peteS40

I have just bought some Denso iridium plugs for my motor.
I was amazed at the cheap price and the cheap shipping costs of the place I got them, it easily beat anywhere else I could find and PFVO is incredibly expensive shipping for just a few spark plugs (I always try and get quite a few things in one go from them to save on shipping costs).

Everything went smoothly. Bought online on sunday night, plugs turned up when due by recorded post on tuesday I think it was, they came in a padded jiffy bag.

Yep, this place was probably so good as they ONLY sell spark plugs!
And with a URL like this, are you really suprised:

http://www.carsparkplugs.com

Even includes a "find your vehicle's plugs" thing.
I'm fitting mine over the weekend, so lets hope they sent the right ones to fit my car

Pete