Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6d limp mode with engine warning light on

Views : 3425

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2019, 13:32   #1
chunkytfg

Default 1.6d limp mode with engine warning light on

After dealing with a DPF replacement and a garage trying to make me replace something unnecessary which turned out to be that they just didn’t have the right computers to reset the DPF and adm refill my car has now gone wrong again.

Drove it down from London to Southampton all good. Got about halfway home and with the cruise control on the car just started losing speed on an uphil.

Disengaged CC and discovered it was in limp mode. No warning lights on the dash to suggest anything wrong.

Limp home and get the car parked up. Quick inspection finds exhaust leaking at turbo connection.

Disassemble DPF from car and while I’m at it replace turbo feed line as it was leaking pretty bad. Reassemble everything and start the car up.

No longer got a leak but now car is still in limp mode and engine warning light has come on(yellow).

I’ve not got the right pliers to uncoupled the EGR valve properly but I took the top off and cleaned out the sooted up part I could get to.

I don’t have Vida to be able to find out what’s up with it but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions? DPF pressure pipes are all good.

If anyone is in or near north London and has a Vida system I’d be happy to contribute to your time just to find out what’s wrong with it?
chunkytfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post
After dealing with a DPF replacement and a garage trying to make me replace something unnecessary which turned out to be that they just didn’t have the right computers to reset the DPF and adm refill my car has now gone wrong again.

Drove it down from London to Southampton all good. Got about halfway home and with the cruise control on the car just started losing speed on an uphil.

Disengaged CC and discovered it was in limp mode. No warning lights on the dash to suggest anything wrong.

Limp home and get the car parked up. Quick inspection finds exhaust leaking at turbo connection.

Disassemble DPF from car and while I’m at it replace turbo feed line as it was leaking pretty bad. Reassemble everything and start the car up.

No longer got a leak but now car is still in limp mode and engine warning light has come on(yellow).

I’ve not got the right pliers to uncoupled the EGR valve properly but I took the top off and cleaned out the sooted up part I could get to.

I don’t have Vida to be able to find out what’s up with it but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions? DPF pressure pipes are all good.

If anyone is in or near north London and has a Vida system I’d be happy to contribute to your time just to find out what’s wrong with it?
you need to get it in a volvo dealer or you are going to end up spending far too much over a period of weeks ...
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:46   #3
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get it in a volvo dealer or you are going to end up spending far too much over a period of weeks ...
Whist I appreciate it'll probably end up at a dealer again, when it is £156 every time the dealer does a diagnostic check it's already costing a lot of money and I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had any guesses for usual things that could be checked or if someone local had a Vida system so that the codes could be read.
Old May 16th, 2019, 16:04   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Whist I appreciate it'll probably end up at a dealer again, when it is £156 every time the dealer does a diagnostic check it's already costing a lot of money and I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had any guesses for usual things that could be checked or if someone local had a Vida system so that the codes could be read.
you have probably already wasted double that with no hope of a fix yet .. you need to go to a dealer , pay the diagnostic charge and let them fix it or at least let them tell you what exactly needs doing ...
Old May 28th, 2019, 19:17   #5
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you have probably already wasted double that with no hope of a fix yet .. you need to go to a dealer , pay the diagnostic charge and let them fix it or at least let them tell you what exactly needs doing ...
Okay so did as you suggested. Dealer visit number 4 for another £150 diagnostic check and it seems the DPF despite being brand new was blocked along with a faulty MAF sensor.

So DPF has been replaced again, MAF sensor also has been replaced. All Codes in the DTC have been cleared and dash is showing no warning lights.

Car is still in limp mode!:roll eyes:

How can a car with an onboard computer that thinks nothing is wrong with it still be in limp mode?!!
Old May 28th, 2019, 20:33   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Okay so did as you suggested. Dealer visit number 4 for another £150 diagnostic check and it seems the DPF despite being brand new was blocked along with a faulty MAF sensor.

So DPF has been replaced again, MAF sensor also has been replaced. All Codes in the DTC have been cleared and dash is showing no warning lights.

Car is still in limp mode!:roll eyes:

How can a car with an onboard computer that thinks nothing is wrong with it still be in limp mode?!!
But again they haven't tested it they should never have released it to you ... all they can do is carry on i guess , but if a new particle filter is blocked why didn't they regenerate it manualy to burn the soot out ? It is a pity we don't the whole story of what they did ... and what they didn't do of course . The particle filter pressure sensor can play up , as can the rubber pipes that go to it burn through near the radiator ..
Old May 29th, 2019, 13:33   #7
chunkytfg

They didn’t release it to me as I’m doing the work myself.

The first blocked DPF I’m taking on the chin as my own fault as I did about 200 miles between having it replaced and getting the adm set up so it was running without that helping keep it clear.

After it failing at the beginning of this thread the DPF was removed as it had a leak at the turbo and when it was replaced it was then showing EML light too. It was taken to Volvo and they said DPF was blocked and forced regen wouldn’t work. Also maf sensor was showing faulty. They wanted £1200 for the DPF change and £280 to fit a maf sensor!

Took the car away and did the DPF change and maf change myself. Code reader picked up original maf and DPF faults. Cleared codes and now with engine running no codes present but still in limp mode!

The only thing I can think of is that it could be the fuel filter again although I would think a blocked filter would cause low pressure and that would bring up a fault code?

Whilst I appreciate that taking it to a dealer seems to be the obvious answer so far every time it’s gone in they’ve said one thing and tried to charge some stupid cost to replace a part that takes minute to fit!! The maf sensor is 2 screws to fit and cost £50. How the hell can it be £280 to fit!!! The DPF was originally quoted £697 to replace then it was £900 the second tome and then £1200 the third! How does somethingdouble in cost to replace over 3 weeks!
Old May 29th, 2019, 14:21   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
They didn’t release it to me as I’m doing the work myself.

The first blocked DPF I’m taking on the chin as my own fault as I did about 200 miles between having it replaced and getting the adm set up so it was running without that helping keep it clear.

After it failing at the beginning of this thread the DPF was removed as it had a leak at the turbo and when it was replaced it was then showing EML light too. It was taken to Volvo and they said DPF was blocked and forced regen wouldn’t work. Also maf sensor was showing faulty. They wanted £1200 for the DPF change and £280 to fit a maf sensor!

Took the car away and did the DPF change and maf change myself. Code reader picked up original maf and DPF faults. Cleared codes and now with engine running no codes present but still in limp mode!

The only thing I can think of is that it could be the fuel filter again although I would think a blocked filter would cause low pressure and that would bring up a fault code?

Whilst I appreciate that taking it to a dealer seems to be the obvious answer so far every time it’s gone in they’ve said one thing and tried to charge some stupid cost to replace a part that takes minute to fit!! The maf sensor is 2 screws to fit and cost £50. How the hell can it be £280 to fit!!! The DPF was originally quoted £697 to replace then it was £900 the second tome and then £1200 the third! How does somethingdouble in cost to replace over 3 weeks!
Yes could be fuel filter , but i dont think a message comes up on the 1.6D when it is restricted , It should be fine as long as you have changed it at the right interval . The later D2 versions do let you know when fuel pressure is low .
Are you sure the particle pressure sensor is reading ok and the rubber hoses to it are not burned at the particle filter end?
Old May 29th, 2019, 14:35   #9
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Watton norfolk?
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 15:06   #10
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Watton norfolk?
Used to be. Now Borehamwood north london