Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55066

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 14:40   #181
Grimble
Grimble

The regulations can say what they like. I'll still change my wheel on the hard shoulder (with a lookout if at all possible). Then get out of there as soon as I can. By reducing your time on the hard shoulder you are reducing your exposure to danger.
If the stats prove that the hard shoulder is such a dangerous place how come they are being converted to an extra lane? With only the intermittent availability of a layby.
All in a feeble attempt to deal with congestion, rather than solve the problem properly by building decent and high capacity roads.

Don't get me started on the useless traffic officers. They would much rather cause miles and hours of tailbacks by coning off a lane than get off their backsides and get a towpole out to pull a broken down vehicle to the next junction. I have seen endless shunts due to this type of totally unnecessary congestion.
Ok, large trucks excepted but you get the idea.
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 22:01   #182
shoppy

I had blow out on my S80 and the tyre flew of and took part of my front bumper with it just around £2400 of damage. I am glad I had a space saver, as I was up and gone in 30 mins after the initial shock.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 08:09   #183
Choppie

Spare well for me, Don't think I'd like to faffing with sealant. I'd prefer full size even if it was steel
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 03:02   #184
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
The regulations can say what they like. I'll still change my wheel on the hard shoulder (with a lookout if at all possible). Then get out of there as soon as I can. By reducing your time on the hard shoulder you are reducing your exposure to danger.
If the stats prove that the hard shoulder is such a dangerous place how come they are being converted to an extra lane? With only the intermittent availability of a layby.
All in a feeble attempt to deal with congestion, rather than solve the problem properly by building decent and high capacity roads.

Don't get me started on the useless traffic officers. They would much rather cause miles and hours of tailbacks by coning off a lane than get off their backsides and get a towpole out to pull a broken down vehicle to the next junction. I have seen endless shunts due to this type of totally unnecessary congestion.
Ok, large trucks excepted but you get the idea.
Get out of your car and over the barrier and stand well back and phone for a recovery truck. Your life is far more important. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/headl...m57/vi-BBq2YKe

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...39&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JiOETTsHWI

Roy
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 11:44   #185
Grimble
Grimble

Just last week changed a wheel at the side of a freeway near Miami on a hire car.
Wife was on the lookout.

Did it in 7mins, a personal record. No way was I going to wait in 100deg heat for someone to turn up.

Merely getting in the car in the first place is a risk which I'm willing to take for the benefits it provides. I would suggest changing a car on a single track A road is a far more risky proposition.

Either way, as with most things in life, I prefer to make my own assessment of risk and act accordingly, not to be told what to do by someone unaware of the particular circumstances but making a blanket ruling that 'one size fits all'.

Personal freedom of action is very important to me and if Darwinism beckons, so be it.
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 12:06   #186
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I wasn't traffic, but immediate response. I did do a 'Motorway Awareness Course'. This included high speed 'follows' and 'stops' as well as high speed reverses on the hard shoulder, and simply standing on the hard shoulder!
I wonder how many have done just that? I , for one was surprised by the noise and 'gusting' from passing vehicles. This was just on the M27, so not the busiest.
Also it is said that if a vehicle is static on the hard shoulder, it will get hit. So safest place is out and over the barrier.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 12:38   #187
dingov70
Master Member

There are many people of either sex who are infinately capable of changing a damaged rim & tyre quickly & safely . However you also have those destined to collect a Darwin award , merely by the action of exiting their vehicle when stopped on the hard shoulder .

During MOT tester training , we looked at a brand new space saver tyre & we were stunned to establish that "technically " a space saver COULD be declared illegal due to the limited tread depth & the fact it is far narrower than the manufacturers designated tyre for road use . As an MOT tester , any car appearing with this stupid thing supporting the car requiring an MOT will be sent away without being tested . I also did a short driver training course when the car had TWO sapce savers fitted to the front of a diesel vectra . extreme example , but it ploughed on when trying to turn at town speeds .

My view fit a wheel well & a proper bloody tyre & rim combo , oh & get people to change a tyre as part of their driving test along with checking fluid levels
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 20:11   #188
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
There are many people of either sex who are infinately capable of changing a damaged rim & tyre quickly & safely . However you also have those destined to collect a Darwin award , merely by the action of exiting their vehicle when stopped on the hard shoulder .

During MOT tester training , we looked at a brand new space saver tyre & we were stunned to establish that "technically " a space saver COULD be declared illegal due to the limited tread depth & the fact it is far narrower than the manufacturers designated tyre for road use . As an MOT tester , any car appearing with this stupid thing supporting the car requiring an MOT will be sent away without being tested . I also did a short driver training course when the car had TWO sapce savers fitted to the front of a diesel vectra . extreme example , but it ploughed on when trying to turn at town speeds .

My view fit a wheel well & a proper bloody tyre & rim combo , oh & get people to change a tyre as part of their driving test along with checking fluid levels
Not everybody is physically capable of changing a wheel. Especially if they have been in place a long time. I wouldn't trust my back not to let me down nowadays so I'd leave it to a professional.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Sep 28th, 2016 at 22:38.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 22:34   #189
dingov70
Master Member

Roy , again i accept there are a few who would struggle ,however the knowledge would not harm you & may well be of greater benefit in the future .

A friend who does recovery now makes a fortune from changing tyres for healthy men , who have zero knowledge of the process & stand around searching for a wheel swapping app for their Iphone's . Surely you would agree you should be able to check oil & water ,as well as lights weekly with no detriment to your general health
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 22:40   #190
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Roy , again i accept there are a few who would struggle ,however the knowledge would not harm you & may well be of greater benefit in the future .

A friend who does recovery now makes a fortune from changing tyres for healthy men , who have zero knowledge of the process & stand around searching for a wheel swapping app for their Iphone's . Surely you would agree you should be able to check oil & water ,as well as lights weekly with no detriment to your general health
Certainly agree about the oil water and brake fluid. The car will tell you if a light is out of course.

Roy