Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55217

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 17th, 2011, 00:16   #41
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
Would there be any mileage (pun intended) in those forum members who feel strongly about this writing to Volvo to express their dissatisfaction? The story about shortage of rubber carries no weight as has already been pointed out.

I don't know if there is a precedent for forum members presenting a united front to Volvo? We are the customers so there is a slight chance they might listen; or am I being too naive?
Done it, and referred them to this thread so they could judge the strength of feeling on the issue.

Trouble is, when there are queues of people of X3's that don't have the option of a spare what incentive is there for manufacturers to supply one. In fact you could say the design of the XC60 is compromised in having the space for one.

All other things being equal I would always opt for a car with a spare rather than one without.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 00:31   #42
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancahire View Post

Space saving wheels also save the manufacturer space in their parts warehouse.

Not quite sure what the position is today, but years ago manufacturing of a car was "just in time" in so far as some parts arrived at the factory as the vehicle was being built. ie when the tyres were about to be put on they would have been manufactured say an hour or so ago and be delivered to the car manufacturer "just in time" to be fitted thus saving valuable (and costly) warehouse space for the car manufacturer. (same thing applied to the tyre manufacturer in so far as the chemicals/raw materials were delivered "just in time" to make the tyres before they were shipped on to the car manufacturer.)

All the manufacturing units were within a reasonable distance of each other to aid logistics

So unless things have changed manufacturers cannot claim "costly warehouse storage"

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 14:22   #43
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCdotcodotuk View Post
I was looking at BMW 5 series cars when I was looking for my V50. I was put off the 5 series as all of them I saw had tyre weld.

I do NOT want that on my car. Dark country lane, no mobile reception and a blow out. No luck with a can of rubber goo, you'll just be savaged by the sheep and horses etc.
I thought that most of the 5 series now comes with run flats? Do they need goo?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 16:58   #44
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Where to begin...

All for the lack of some sort of spare, be it space saver or full size. It is a totally Bl**dy ridiculous situation and I don't know how manufacturers can justify this inconvenience let alone potential safety aspects of getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no backup.
As I keep pointing out, while the story from individual manufacturers varies, the basic position is cost cutting to the extent they feel they can get away with it. (i.e. their sales projections are unaffected). If it was something that affected their public image, it would be a different matter, but spare wheels are seen as rather boring and one presumes that most customers don't even ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 17:35   #45
Lancahire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
As I keep pointing out, while the story from individual manufacturers varies, the basic position is cost cutting to the extent they feel they can get away with it. (i.e. their sales projections are unaffected). If it was something that affected their public image, it would be a different matter, but spare wheels are seen as rather boring and one presumes that most customers don't even ask.

You are quite correct,, it is more about saving money than saving space.

When I was a lad it was not so dangerous to change wheels on the hard shoulder.

Interesting little note: the mersey tunnel police have LR discos, but with the spare wheel removed from the back door. I wonder whether ambulances carry spare wheels? It can save weight and fuel not carrying a spare wheel.
Lancahire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 20:55   #46
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancahire View Post
Interesting little note: the mersey tunnel police have LR discos, but with the spare wheel removed from the back door. ...
I wonder if they removed the wheels or if they stopped at some traffic lights and somebody nicked them
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 21:14   #47
Lancahire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I wonder if they removed the wheels or if they stopped at some traffic lights and somebody nicked them

I think they asked LR to supply them Without the spare wheel, because the doors appear not to have the bolt holes nor to have the big chunk of steel which is the mounting for the spare. I think one of the functions of the disco in the tunnel is to tow out broken down vehicles. so the spare wheel may hinder the drivers view. also if they themselves had a puncture in the tunnel, it is only a mile or so until the end of the tunnel, it would be unlikely for them to attempt to change a wheel and obstruct the tunnel while they did that.
Lancahire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 10:42   #48
Mountain Goat

Update.
I've just had my QAI at Squire Furneax in High Wycombe and asked about Tempa spare availability. They said they can still supply the spare at about £200 though didn't give me an exact price - plus cost of jack and wheel brace.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 23:46   #49
geoff m

I am 'disappointed', to say the least, that the manufacturers appear to have won the day and are moving inexorably towards pump and latex instead of even a space saver, let alone a full sized spare wheel.

They seem able to get away with this, I suspect, because of the level of apathy from the general car buying public.

It would be heartening to think that they took notice of the feedback form this forum, but I expect that the customer’s needs/wants will always come second to their bottom line.

This, after all, is the real reason for the policy they are pursuing – not the misleading and dishonest responses they have published.

We should all stick to our avowed intention to boycott all models that are not properly equipped.

That’d show ‘em!

Easier said than done, if it’s a universal move by all manufacturers!
geoff m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:01   #50
Pesky

I have driven somewhere in the region of 700,000 miles so far ( in various cars ) and the only car I have had punctures in is my current Octavia vRS, which has had 3 punctures in 2.5years.

VW generally provide full size alloys as spare wheels, my Skoda has a "space-saver" but it is 205/55x16 - normal tyres 225/40x18.

It is something I have considered whilst looking at the XC60 but the electric parking brake annoys me more!
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote