Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598872

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2019, 10:28   #2121
John90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Volvo will replace the EGR cooler for free, even beyond the warranty period.
Thanks Zebster,

Reading previous posts it seems a bit hit and miss regarding how much of the fix they cover and some have reported the problem still occurring after the fix haven't they?
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:56   #2122
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Thanks Zebster,

Reading previous posts it seems a bit hit and miss regarding how much of the fix they cover and some have reported the problem still occurring after the fix haven't they?
It seems that some dealers can't be bothered to contact Volvo UK to initiate the goodwill payment process. My dealer was great, they had a computer link that got an automated and immediate approval for 100% goodwill on the cooler replacement.

Replacement coolers are of an improved design to the original part, to reduce condensation. But yes, they do still become blocked after replacement... however I imagine that yours will also cause problems again, no matter how often you treat it with that random cocktail of snake oils! Mine is on its second replacement.

It's a big problem. Later versions of the VEA engine use AdBlue to minimise NOx, so use far lower volumes of EGR... pity Volvo didn't do this from the beginning.
Old May 26th, 2019, 11:35   #2123
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Zebster,

It is not hit and miss , There is a positive defined process documented which the dealer has to follow to get a result , only in extreme cases do they need to get further help from volvo . it seems quite a few on the front desk don't bother or do not know the process . service history is not taken into consideration .
Old May 26th, 2019, 11:46   #2124
John90

Quote:
It seems that some dealers can't be bothered to contact Volvo UK to initiate the goodwill payment process. My dealer was great, they had a computer link that got an automated and immediate approval for 100% goodwill on the cooler replacement.

Replacement coolers are of an improved design to the original part, to reduce condensation. But yes, they do still become blocked after replacement... however I imagine that yours will also cause problems again, no matter how often you treat it with that random cocktail of snake oils! Mine is on its second replacement.

It's a big problem. Later versions of the VEA engine use AdBlue to minimise NOx, so use far lower volumes of EGR... pity Volvo didn't do this from the beginning.
That's positive.

How do you know if you need to use adblue in those engines does it come up on the dash?

Do Volvo continue to swap coolers everytime you get the error code? I.e have they swapped yours twice foc?

I thought they charged for the egr if it was sticking, or do they replace that foc now too?
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:18   #2125
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
That's positive.

How do you know if you need to use adblue in those engines does it come up on the dash?

Do Volvo continue to swap coolers everytime you get the error code? I.e have they swapped yours twice foc?

I thought they charged for the egr if it was sticking, or do they replace that foc now too?
Vehicles that use AdBlue would have a warning light for when the tank got low.

The 'low EGR flow' error code would naturally result in the cooler being investigated, however the fault may be the valve not opening correctly.

I would assume that all work done on my car previous to my ownership in July would have FOC, mostly because the car would have been less than 3 years old when the work was done.

My recent fault was due to the EGR valve sticking open... for that replacement I only got a 50% goodwill contribution (it was while the replacement was being done that the Volvo tech noticed that the cooler was becoming sooted-up)
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:40   #2126
John90

Quote:

The 'low EGR flow' error code would naturally result in the cooler being investigated, however the fault may be the valve not opening correctly.

I would assume that all work done on my car previous to my ownership in July would have FOC, mostly because the car would have been less than 3 years old when the work was done.

My recent fault was due to the EGR valve sticking open... for that replacement I only got a 50% goodwill contribution (it was while the replacement was being done that the Volvo tech noticed that the cooler was becoming sooted-up)
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I've read.

When mine occurred I was out of warranty, not near a main dealer and traveling a lot, and my brother who could do the job was too busy, so I decided to give the snake oils a go after seeing some positive reviews online with regards to similar issues on other brands of cars. I obviously don't know how well they have worked, all I know is they have worked well enough to prevent the fault code being generated in the last 2k miles, where I had previously generated 6 fault codes in less miles. The cooler and egr could be sparkly clean or one drive away from generating a code again 🤷🏻*♂️. I also don't know if the code was due to cooler build up or egr sticking or if the car has had a replacement cooler already as it was 2yrs and 12k miles old when I bought it. I will update if the code returns though 👍
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:13   #2127
ChrisFromFrance

Renault engines seem to suffer about oil consumption due to an engineering problem.
https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/arti...6970_3234.html

Perhaps our engines may have such a problem, but how many ? one ? more ?
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:48   #2128
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's the kind of thing I've read.

When mine occurred I was out of warranty, not near a main dealer and traveling a lot, and my brother who could do the job was too busy, so I decided to give the snake oils a go after seeing some positive reviews online with regards to similar issues on other brands of cars. I obviously don't know how well they have worked, all I know is they have worked well enough to prevent the fault code being generated in the last 2k miles, where I had previously generated 6 fault codes in less miles. The cooler and egr could be sparkly clean or one drive away from generating a code again 🤷🏻*♂️. I also don't know if the code was due to cooler build up or egr sticking or if the car has had a replacement cooler already as it was 2yrs and 12k miles old when I bought it. I will update if the code returns though 👍
Fortunately, warranty is irrelevant to the goodwill contributions. When I bought mine last year it was over 3 years old and came from an auction, so no dealer warranty.

A simple look at the underbonnet pipework will tell if you have the original cooler, as it tapped into the top rad hose... the later, improved EGR cooler tapped into the cooling system elsewhere to reduce the cooling effect. There are proper detailed explanations of this earlier in this thread.

What trouble codes were you previously getting?
Old May 27th, 2019, 15:41   #2129
Craig S

I get the feeling that I will be having EGR issues despite the EGR Cooler being replaced less than 6 months ago. I am getting symptoms that I last had just before the EML came on for the first time.

These symptoms are that the car is no longer smooth when going on and off the accelerator, hesitation and almost stalling at times after the Start Stop has been in operation. So I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile using something like Wynns EGR Cleaner to see if that will cure the issue, or whether I should wait until I get the next EML.

My big concern is that if I wait for the next EML it turns out not to be the EGR Cooler, but the EGR itself, a condition which volvo may give a 50% goodwill contribution for (but I doubt it due to the fact that my car already has over 100k miles on it).

I am now at the stage where the engine is also beginning to consume oil, with less than 2500 miles since it's last service it has consumed the 0.5l of oil.

This could be an expensive pig in a poke
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 12:25   #2130
V A L I

Quote:

Hi, Do you know if there is a DYI tutorial on how to clean the EGR valve on our type of Volvo?

Also, as I know the latest software update keeps the EGR Valve closed most of the time.
I have the ECM light on an I want to clean just the EGR (not the cooler) in order to see if it goes OFF.

P.S.: Also I want to know what is "snake oil" and how to use it.
V A L I is offline   Reply With Quote