Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to reproduce 1961 Amazon paint code 50

Views : 375

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 20:15   #1
GE9483

Default How to reproduce 1961 Amazon paint code 50

Dear All!
After going through a mechanical overhaul, my 1961 Amazon is now ready to go to the paint shop for a full spray.

Intention is to spray e x a c t l y the same colours as applied by the factory back in 1961.

The original colour code -as stated in the car type designation plate- is 50, meaning grey beige with black roof. The car is currently painted light grey with a black roof, which looks very much similar to other Amazons having code 50 paint I have seen in pictures. However, I know the current colour is not the factory colour because there are traces the car once received a complete re-spray in white before another (or the same) previous owner decided to go back and stick (or go as close as possible) to what the designation plate was saying in respect of colour.

The problem is that, if the previous owner went as close as possible and I follow suit, basing myself on the current colour, the final result may be quite different than the factory original, therefore…

Does any friend in the forum know if there is any way now to reproduce the colour which Volvo called “grey beige” in 1961? Also for the “black” on the roof, is there a recipe to get exactly the two-colour tones represented by the “Code 50” on 60 years old Amazons?

Tks very much for your help.
regards/cf
GE9483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 21:01   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

The usual advice is to take something with original paint that’s not been exposed to the sun (eg the inside of the glovebox lid) and get a good paint supplier to do a spectrographic analysis on the original finish and use that to mix and match the paint.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post: