Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yesterday's Telegraph.

Views : 2451

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 11:44   #41
tankplanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
They also complained about rear visibility in that article. First car where rear headrests don't interfere with the view (I used auto drop option twice - once to test and once by accident). Unlike in many cars rear screen wiper clears large enough area, rear water squirter is always at high pressure so only need to press it once. In many cars you have to pump it several times because no pressure in the back line. Fewer distractions=safer.

My only negatives after over a year of ownership:
1) early in model cycle for very high tech model so still plenty of teething issues but manufacturer is resolving them and dealers are reasonably knowledgeable.
2) ride on air springs is patchy over poor surfaces at low speed but great versatility with extra comfort for entry exit and driving modes. Great ride on standard suspension even on 22s.
3) voice recognition is poor when moving - probably not helped by poor road noise performance.
4) road noise on 20s too high for car this good otherwise. Manufacturer has gone a long way towards making it acceptable but if it was even Good the car would be nearly faultless.
5) turbo lag on D5 at low speeds (or slow pick up at low revs low speed). Anything other than very low speeds the engine is fantastic - responsive and quiet. Going around town the accelerator just feels like there is pillow between the pedal and the true accelerator. I am not comparing to other diesels though but to other cars - I am spoiled in that department by 10 years in priuses but surprised diesels still can't get it right after all this time.
Power pulse in my17 onwards arguably improves on that but I haven't had the experience so can't comment. Unless it's a game changer I would probably convince myself to get a T8 if I was buying now.

Other than these I can gush over several pages how great the car is, but it would be not in the spirit of this forum.
For 5 I'm assuming you have tried the car in dynamic mode? If you have then it would be worth you trying the Polestar upgrade as this should further reduce the slow response, if you find it doesn't improve things then you can get your money back.
MY17 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription in Bright Silver with Blond Nappa leather, laminated and tinted side glass, sunroof, power cushions and folding headrests, winter and seven seat comfort packs, heated rear seats, retractable tow bar
tankplanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 11:50   #42
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
So you think it's easier to come out of the car go round to the boot press the button to drop the headrests then go back in the car and you have better vision when reversing? I don't think xc90 missed out on anything on only being able to do it through swipe and click in the Sensus
I totally agree with you on that point Deman.

They are a handy option to fold the seats down when loading up the cargo area with a large or long load, as they are intended for, but never to improve rear view vision.
But I honestly cant see the point of the folding headrests, I have never used them or need to, reverse sensors and mirrors work perfectly ok for me and 360 cameras are even better. And such a faff on to have to get out go to the rear seats to put the headrests back up manually.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 15th, 2016 at 12:00.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:42   #43
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
So you think it's easier to come out of the car go round to the boot press the button to drop the headrests then go back in the car and you have better vision when reversing? I don't think xc90 missed out on anything on only being able to do it through swipe and click in the Sensus
You can lower the headrests in the Central Display menu's.
Anyway, I have a reversing camera.

tem.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 17:57   #44
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I totally agree with you on that point Deman.

They are a handy option to fold the seats down when loading up the cargo area with a large or long load, as they are intended for, but never to improve rear view vision.
But I honestly cant see the point of the folding headrests, I have never used them or need to, reverse sensors and mirrors work perfectly ok for me and 360 cameras are even better. And such a faff on to have to get out go to the rear seats to put the headrests back up manually.
To me they only block the useless bits of view - the very far edge lower corners. Hence why I never felt the need to lower them. Utterly pointless function.

Can people please explain what exactly with rear visibility for xc90 that's not good. I can see 95% of tailgate window and through it the car behind me in rear view mirror and it's not blocked by head rests or anything else. I can only not see audis which normally ride on my bumper but if tailgate opening was lower to capture them it would be blocked by second row seats. What should I see in a car with exemplary rear view visibility of this one warrants a negative point on this aspect?
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 18:06   #45
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankplanker View Post
For 5 I'm assuming you have tried the car in dynamic mode? If you have then it would be worth you trying the Polestar upgrade as this should further reduce the slow response, if you find it doesn't improve things then you can get your money back.
I have polestar and driving modes. It does not change how soon the power arrives at low revs just throttle response and gear holding.
I found the fastest low speed progress is to get highest revs that still keep the turbo out of it as it saps power and hence lags whilst spooling it.
I am sure for people used to diesels it will not feel slow I just find it really disappointing that in all these years diesels are still so sluggish low down. I would gladly give up some of that higher speed performance just to get it rolling sooner. Electric instant torque spoils you.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote