Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 new owner few maintenance questions

Views : 799

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2012, 20:54   #1
jamie28

Default S60 D5 new owner few maintenance questions

I purchased a 2006 D5 geartronic with 78k a few weeks back.it has some history and all the old MOT,s ( not my first choice but an operation ment i needed a car quick) I had an S60R and a few T5,s before but its time to slow down and spend less on fuel

500 miles later and there are no nasty suprises just a slight hiss under boost so i guess its intercooler time and a worn top mount .
im going to carry out a service and some preventative maintenance before a remap hence a few questions

Has anyone flushed the fluid of the 6 speed geartronic ? gearshifts are fine but the fluid must be as burnt as my cooking after 6 years

Are there any guides on cleaning the EGR and PCV systems ?

Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop/vadis from ebay

Apart from filters and oils is there anything else i need to do or look out for ? in getting 30 in london traffic and 45 on a 85 mph run ,I have a heavy boot so in fairly chuffed

Lastly some D5,s seem more noisy than others any reasons?

Lots of questions but thanks in advance

Last edited by jamie28; Aug 20th, 2012 at 20:58.
jamie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 19:38   #2
Tall Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie28 View Post
Apart from filters and oils is there anything else i need to do or look out for ?
Check the control arm from the variable valve timing, these often break. Also the MY 2006 up D5 engines at times have trouble with diesel polluting the engine oil. New engine oil might also have a positive effect on the engine sound, especial if its now polluted.

The S60 D5 is a real racing machine, even without remapping, have fun
Tall Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 03:36   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Flushing the transmission is fairly simple, Rufe off here will sort you with new 'o' rings ect, cost about 10 posted. Remove the top pipe from the trans cooler (part of the radiator) garden hose is a good fit into the rad housing you just removed the pipe from. Now drain the sump of the gearbox, I used a suction pump, refill with 3lts of clean oil, start the car (easier if you've a 2nd pair of hands. Takes about 10 seconds to pump 2 lts out, obviously refill with 2 lts before starting again, I used approx 20lts from memory

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote