Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BP ultimate diesel

Views : 10280

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 21:29   #31
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
To throw another spanner in the works many people swear by adding ~300mls of two stroke oil to ~70 litres of diesel.
They say it improves mpg, gives a bit more power, makes it quieter and smokes less.
I assume it improves the cetane value a bit, or maybe it's just placebo.

I use "ordinary" Shell when I can but when I'm in Scotland the only stuff I can get is from Tesco. I've done many tanks on both and can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

I did try a few tanks of Shell V-power back to back, but on my normal daily route done at the normal times (so essentially the same traffic conditions) I found no difference whatsoever. MPG was the same to within a margin of error, no noticeable increase in power, no noticeable change to engine note or vibration.
No noticeable difference to ordinary Shell but about £5 a tank more. Not a big cost unless you do a lot of miles, but why spend it if you get nothing in return?

A bit of 2 strokeoil is absolutly good voor the pump and injectors
But the non removable ash wich it deposits after burning in the dpf isnt
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 08:55   #32
jayhl7

Cool Tried Bp ultimate!!

Monday I had a 900-1000 mile trip to do and having read the thread thought I would try Bp ultimate, whilst I live 300 yards from Tesco where I normaly get fuel the decision was made! the last time I had filled up with my 5p per litre off I paid 128.9ppl, Bp ultimate was 146.9ppl, the cost increase was £11.16 for the 62 litres I put in to the tank, I didn't notice any differance in performance or mpg, I know that just one tank will not make a huge change to the car but what I did know was that I would be filling up again before the day was out!! I normal do 20,000 miles a year @ 45 Mpg thats 10 miles per litre and at that price difference works out to £360 per year! that might not seem a lot but when you think that I could use an annual/12,000 mile treatment at a cost of £20 which claims to clean the injectors and make the engine smoother, and still have over £300 in my pocket! It really is food for thought!!!!! Cheers Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayhl7 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 14:17   #33
jayhl7

Cool Just aquick update

Just been down to the south of spain and back putting about 3,600 miles on the car ( bit of a test as I've not yet had the car a month and I've put over 5,000 on the clock already, car now at 245,000 miles!!) and every fill up except the last was with premium diesel, the way that I justify the extra cost was that it was still cheaper than normal diesel here, I am now hoping that the car is ready for Tesco cheap fuel as I've got 50 pence a litre off and will be using red-ex in the tank to give the fuel a bit of a boost!! the avg fuel use according to the car was 48-49 mpg traveling at the local speed limit (130 kmh in france and 120 kmh in spain plus 10% where safe!!) I will be going back to southern spain in about a fortnight or so and will consider using normal diesel for the next run! and see if there is any difference in performance or ecconomy, Cheers Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 12:58   #34
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

wooohoo just topped up the 2.0D with fuel 430 miles from 2 clicks brim to the fuel light coming on 49.7 odd mpg! i no i was not driving like a granny! that is on vpower.

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 7th, 2012 at 14:45.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 14:31   #35
Mck1

On my 163 d5 (dragon tuning box fitted and pipercross filter approx 200 bhp). Been using Tesco diesel for the past few weeks due to the 5p off offer. Just filled up still standard shell, a instant improvement in performance. My local garage is changing over to shell.

Last edited by Mck1; Aug 7th, 2012 at 15:00. Reason: tx
Mck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 20:44   #36
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Even with an "Italian tune" That must shift some of the crud out of there hitting the red line in every gear on a bit of quiet motorway in the middle of the night...

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 21:46   #37
Digidick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post

How much is a bit and how much fuel is in the tank when you add your bit?
Digidick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 22:26   #38
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

to one full tank i add half the bottle i have been doing this every other month for the last year all i have noticed is the engine is quieter than normal.
mike
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 22:36   #39
Digidick

half the bottle? 500ml is that?.

Any particular brand Mike?.
Digidick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 07:48   #40
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

sorry should have said half of a 500ml bottle, i use carlube purchased from morrisons
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2209193797...84.m1436.l2649
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post: