Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14847

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 21:50   #31
younger06
Volvo Newbie

I don't know how you guys do it, I haven't been able to break 40mpg on Fuelly and that's really trying!!
How much of a draw would the fridge in the Executive model have on the electrical system, could it effect my MPG??
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 23:03   #32
tt82
Forum Support Team

The more electrical items you have on, the harder the altenator has to work which does use more fuel. Remember one of the arguements against DRL's was the increased fuel consumption and thats just with having lights on. Though having said that, my trip to Stoke was done with my nephews using the RSE. What speed do you drive at? I find 65mph a nice economical speed but my brother managed to keep the average MPG above 40 while driving back from Stoke at 75mph.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 00:02   #33
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
The more electrical items you have on, the harder the altenator has to work which does use more fuel. Remember one of the arguements against DRL's was the increased fuel consumption and thats just with having lights on. Though having said that, my trip to Stoke was done with my nephews using the RSE. What speed do you drive at? I find 65mph a nice economical speed but my brother managed to keep the average MPG above 40 while driving back from Stoke at 75mph.
I find the only chance I have of decent MPG is between 105kmh and 110kmh, as soon as I go to our motorway speed limit of 120kmh (75mph) it starts getting very thirsty!!
I also use climate and climate seats all the time, so maybe I'm not doing too bad.

Last edited by younger06; Aug 12th, 2014 at 00:02. Reason: spelling error.
younger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 00:39   #34
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
First, the link shows in US units for some reason, you need to go to the top left corner near the car name and change to UK MPG.

Secondly, I enter the information of the fuel put in at that stop. Saves me having to remember what I put in when I last fueled up. So for the tank you quoted it, it was actually BP regular diesel.

Thirdly mine is a 185bhp D5 which is often said to have worse consumption than the earlier 163bhp D5.

And lastly, it is a geartronic.

ps, I had mine on a weighbridge and it was 1,860kg.

Firstly, I did select UK MPG it was still only 38mpg.
Secondly, your own notes say Tesco, not BP.
Thirdly, 38mpg is bad even for the 185 version of the D5.
Lastly, mines Geartronic too.

PS, The hand book states 1700kg for your car. That's 1000kg less than my XC90.
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/v70/...list_Jan09.pdf

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 12th, 2014 at 00:59.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 00:58   #35
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Have you added half a tonne of lead to your car? The best figure I can find for a 2004 XC90 D5 is 2113kg.
On page 205 of the online handbook it states the 2004 XC90 D5 can tow a maximum trailer weight of 2250kg. That wouldn't be possible if the car only weighed 2113kg.

Volvo has it over 2700kg
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/current/...sTechSpecs.pdf

Auto Evolution have it over 2700kg
http://www.autoevolution.com/_mozpdf...-2005-uk-1.pdf

Car Pages has it over 2700kg
http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/volv...geartronic.asp
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 01:02   #36
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
I don't know how you guys do it, I haven't been able to break 40mpg on Fuelly and that's really trying!!
How much of a draw would the fridge in the Executive model have on the electrical system, could it effect my MPG??
I seem to achieve the best mpg by doing the same speed as HGV's, a little under 60mph.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 07:14   #37
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Right there, top of page 9.

"Minimum Kerb Weight, 2113kg"

Quote:
Bottom of page 21.

Minimum Kerb weight 1774kg (D5 GT)

Any fair comparison is like with like, surely, which is minimum kerb weight to minimum kerb weight.

Why are you quoting max gross weight (2720) for your XC90, while quoting less than minimum kerb weight for Simon's V70?

No one is denying that your XC90 is heavier - of course it is. However, the difference is less than 400kg, not the tonne you seem to want to believe.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 09:12   #38
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post

Firstly, I did select UK MPG it was still only 38mpg.
Secondly, your own notes say Tesco, not BP.
Thirdly, 38mpg is bad even for the 185 version of the D5.
Lastly, mines Geartronic too.

1. Yet you previously quoted it as 31 MPG?
  2. As I said earlier, rather than trying to remember what Diesel I put in at the last stop, I simply write down the fuel I put in at that fill up! So on 9/8/14 I filled up with 10.98 Gallons (or 41.58L) of Tesco Diesel, which is more than half of my 70L tank. I then traveled for 510 Miles before filling up with Shell Regular Diesel! Do you understand this now? To know what fuel I was using for any entry, you need to look at the notes for the previous fill up!
  3. 38 MPG is the combined consumption for the Manufacturers own unrealistic figures given for economy. According to Honest John Real MPG figures I am achieving what a majority of owners achieve and is quite far off what Volvo claim.
  4. Good for you!

The link you post for the weight has the "Min. kerb weight, kg (actual kerb weight dependent on spec.)" as 1,774 kg for a D5 GT. Now mine has various options which add weight and I've had it on a weighbridge and it came out as 1,860kg. (There is a picture of this in my showroom thread). I have also had it on another weighbridge where it was 1,840kg. Now as these weighbridges measure to the nearest 20kg, we can assume that my car (with about 3/4 tank of fuel) weighs around 1,850kg. If you really want to quote weight figures with me, try using actual measurements rather than vague manufacturer quoted figures!

And whilst we're on about quoted figures, can you provide evidence of your claimed MPG from Fuelly or similar tracking mechanism. If you read through my notes, you will notice that my cars claimed average MPG is usually 1-2 MPG above the actual figure. Your info centre is hardly ever accurate and can be quite optimistic at times.

ps, on the Fuelly snap shot posted above, entries 10 & 11 are duplicates and I have now deleted one of them!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 10:36   #39
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Long trips sometimes clean the injectors up, which can result in a better spray pattern and resulting fuel economy. The exhaust system also gets cleaned out, apart from residual ash and that also helps.
Looking forward to my trip up the A1 to Northumberland on Saturday for these reasons. My car spends too much time in town. By then I'll also have the Polestar done.

Quote:
Show off I didn't get the fridge in mine...

Quote:
I find the only chance I have of decent MPG is between 105kmh and 110kmh, as soon as I go to our motorway speed limit of 120kmh (75mph) it starts getting very thirsty!!
I also use climate and climate seats all the time, so maybe I'm not doing too bad.
70mph for me. Anything more and I'm sure I can hear the fuel being sucked out of the tank. I've also put some Shell Nitro (or whatever it's called) back in since the Asda stuff. No difference driving but if it's doing the engine good I'll carry on using it while I can afford it.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 18:36   #40
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Right there, top of page 9.

"Minimum Kerb Weight, 2113kg"

Bottom of page 21.

Minimum Kerb weight 1774kg (D5 GT)

Any fair comparison is like with like, surely, which is minimum kerb weight to minimum kerb weight.

Why are you quoting max gross weight (2720) for your XC90, while quoting less than minimum kerb weight for Simon's V70?

No one is denying that your XC90 is heavier - of course it is. However, the difference is less than 400kg, not the tonne you seem to want to believe.
Perhaps you should read all of it next time ...

(actual kerb weight dependent on spec)

As previously stated, my 2004 XC90 weighs close to 2700kg due to its spec, almost a ton more than Simons V70 ....

The complete premium sound system alone weighs close to 150kg ..

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 12th, 2014 at 18:41.