Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet another spec check...

Views : 2855

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2017, 11:25   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Oh really? Which bits of illumination are unique to Inscription, do you think? I thought I'd be getting it all with the pack on my Momentum.

Have the front & rear skidplate kit, so get the square exhausts, might be subtly different but in the pics on the configurator they looked pretty good / similar to me.
I believe a few owners in the past have been able to have their dealer swap the 20" wheels for 19" at the point of delivery. Might be worth looking into.

With the front and rear skid plate kit, does this move the boot sensor for foot operated opening? Might just be something to be aware of.

:wq
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 11:28   #12
NandM

Just had a look at the skid plate on the config, as it doesn't seem to be available on carfile...it seems pricy for what it is!?
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 12:53   #13
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengiecruz View Post
Are the chrome edges on the door handles present on all trim levels?
They're on my Momentum.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 14:05   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Oh really? Which bits of illumination are unique to Inscription, do you think? I thought I'd be getting it all with the pack on my Momentum.
I'm fairly sure that if you spec the Illumination pack it brings it up to the same level as the Inscription. Attached pics are of my (previous) car with the Illumination option.

I'm not sure if external door handle illumination and puddle light are standard or not.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030340.JPG (212.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1030343.JPG (169.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1030354.JPG (205.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1030356.JPG (132.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1030407.JPG (254.7 KB, 36 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 14:15   #15
NandM

@Greg (and anyone else): I see you have the air suspension - now that I'm "downgrading" to a Momentum I can get air for the budget I've set.

What are your thoughts on it? I especially like it's lowering capabilities that would be very useful for the short missus and littl'uns.

The dynamic pack is in range, but I may stick with the 19s.

(I've tried the search button but I keep getting zero results for air or dynamic)
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 17:57   #16
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I'm fairly sure that if you spec the Illumination pack it brings it up to the same level as the Inscription. Attached pics are of my (previous) car with the Illumination option.

I'm not sure if external door handle illumination and puddle light are standard or not.
_
Yes looks the same as mine. There is a lot of illumination and looks good, even things like door storage lit up. But no red warning lights on doors when open so other drivers can see!!, seems strange omission.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 19:53   #17
PhilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandM View Post
@Greg (and anyone else): I see you have the air suspension - now that I'm "downgrading" to a Momentum I can get air for the budget I've set.

What are your thoughts on it? I especially like it's lowering capabilities that would be very useful for the short missus and littl'uns.

(I've tried the search button but I keep getting zero results for air or dynamic)

I struggled to find a definitive concensus on Air Suspension on either this forum or Swedespeed.

In general, it seemed to me that almost everyone was happy with the standard suspension (and this was my experience from a test drive over a weekend) and several considered Air but discarded it on the basis that it would be expensive to repair should issues occur after the warranty has expired. Many that have it are very happy with it and some posts pondered the potential that it was in some way exacerbating the road noise problem.

I have it on my current car (Discovery 4) and raise and lower the car on an almost daily basis and find it particularly useful for self-levelling when heavily loaded. I went for it in the end for the following reasons:

- I didn't want to risk missing something that I have become used to;
- I really would miss self-levelling on those long family trips when the car is fully loaded;
- Lowering eases access for my parents; and
- I'll probably only keep the car for 3 years so not too concerned about potential repair issues.

I don't have the car yet and haven't tested a car with air so can't add any real-world experience to this. I hope this helps.
MY17 XC90 D5 Momentum, Electric Silver, Charcoal, 12" Display, Air Suspension, Xenium + BLIS, Winter Plus, Auxiliary Heater, Heated Rear Seats, Power Cushion Extensions, Illumination, Tinted Windows, CarPlay, Subwoofer, Towbar.
PhilS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 20:28   #18
NandM

Thanks Phil. I've also been reading some of those posts.

There's always concerns with new toys breaking down, but I'm not overly worried about it. I plan to take the five year warranty, by which time there should be a better understanding of how good it is.

The bit with the noise I think may now have been remediated with some recent B pillar modifications and different tyres....plus it seems to be the 20s that are effected.

The downside to that site is that it's predominately US and I assume their roads are different/better than ours.... so am keen to see how people find it here with our lovely potholes.

Tbh, dampening effects aside, it raising up and down sounds very appealing - from what I've read it also drops down by around 4cm?
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 09:58   #19
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandM View Post

So two reasons (possibly uneducated) for getting air suspension, one being self levelling for load carrying and the second the ability to lower the car. To be honest though, I'm not best placed to comment on ride, as I haven't tried a car without!

On self levelling: we had an A6 Avant which I simply couldn't load to the max with camping gear and roof box without the rear wheels catching on the wheel arches and the rear mudflaps hitting the deck. I swore never to have a car again without self levelling suspension. I say uneducated above, as I don't actually know if there is any self levelling ability to the standard suspension!

In terms of ride and handling, it might not be magic carpet smooth when the drive select is set to comfort, but I personally thing its pretty good, and provides a nice balance between handling and comfort. You can really notice the difference too in cornering when you switch it into dynamic, it stays a lot flatter but doesn't compromise the ride quality very much at all. When pushing on down a fast B road or twisty A road, the ride is far better in dynamic when the suspension lowers and stiffens a little.

There are also buttons in the boot to lower and lift the suspension, great wen you come back from a walk and want to sit on the back to change muddy boots.

Have lifted the suspension once or twice just to give a little more ground clearance when negotiating (off-road mode) a certain high kerb and bank.

The feature which lowers the car to get in and out automatically is a bit of a waste of time, because 9 times out of 10, once you've stopped the car you'll have opened the door which stops the lowering before its actually lowered. It will continue to lower once all doors are closed, so I guess its at least lowered for getting back in!

Can't comment on road noise as I haven't tried similarly spec'd cars back to back with and without.

Would I spec it again, yes.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 10:15   #20
NandM

Am I right in the 4cm drop in height?