Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

uh oh radio

Views : 635

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 20:55   #1
oggy240

Unhappy uh oh radio

ello ello ello, I bought my first 240 recently, she's an 88' 240 glt and an absolute beauty, but she has developed a strange radio problem I cannot seem to get to the bottom of, and maybe, by chance, someone here may be able to spread some light on the situation, I mean I've lost hope.

Ill give you a bit of background, I bought this car from a fleabay sale, it has an aftermarket radio system fitted with an under seat subwoofer, radio was working perfectly up until I started it after leaving it parked in a city about 3 hours from home over the weekend, started her up with my phone plugged into the usb connection to the head unit and it flashed up and then immediately stopped working.
Changed all the fuses just in case even though none were visibly blown, and gave the contacts a quick once-over.
Took the head unit out and changed the rca cables to a different port, there are three sets of red and white rca's, checked all the other connections. That got it going for all of one drive home. alas she stopped working again, so currently, I'm at a bit of a loss

other notable information, the radio fitting job and wiring does look like it was done by a monkey, so this could be the issue, but it was working for a few months before it blew.
The car audibly revs when the sub-bass notes of a song kick in, if you stand behind the car, you can actually hear the exhaust pickup at these times, not sure if that's normal or could be a sign of excessive amp draw?
could it possibly be time for a new head unit?

thanks a bunch if you took the time to read all of that, if you've got any smart ideas please do let us know
oggy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 21:52   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

First, congratulations on buying your 240.

Re the problem, frankly, sorry I have no idea. I am very curious about this problem. Hopefully someone who knows about radio installations will see your thread soon. In the meantime three very basic things?

Have you seriously cleaned up the fuse contacts and hopefully fitted actual ceramic uses, not the plastic bodied fuses of the ceramic style. The 240 fuse box is notorious.

As the engine revs are affected, interesting, what engine has your car got? This might help more experienced people to advise you.

As there is a mention of the subwoofer and engine revs, does the entire problem go away by any chance if you disconnect the subwoofer?

I hope some of this might help.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
240, radio