Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Chamber operating arm

Views : 83101

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 13:25   #81
stuwally

Question swirl valve

Hi new to this am needing a bit of help am just wondering if anyone as a step by step on to change a swirl valve on an s60 d5 many thanks.
stuwally is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuwally For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 17:32   #82
stevevolke

Default Swirl Actuator control -reconnect

Just had a fault code on my XC90. Turns out the arm ball joint had disconnected and the connector was naff. Simple solution to reconnect. Heat a large paperclip up and push it through the ball part and the connector. The push the paperclip in both parts and bend over the ends. Problem solved. A bit like a split pin fixing. hope this is of help to others rather than spending a fortune on a new arm.
stevevolke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 17:35   #83
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevolke View Post
Just had a fault code on my XC90. Turns out the arm ball joint had disconnected and the connector was naff. Simple solution to reconnect. Heat a large paperclip up and push it through the ball part and the connector. The push the paperclip in both parts and bend over the ends. Problem solved. A bit like a split pin fixing. hope this is of help to others rather than spending a fortune on a new arm.
you can get a pin repair kit from volvo for this which does the same thing for about £4 , a bit stronger pin . :-)
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 20:07   #84
mark2cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
the price of repair by main dealer here is now £891.24 and they want the vehicle two days to do it!!
Might just be getting the dremmel out.......
Considering the comments above I am surprised Volvo haven't recalled vehicles, modified the parts etc.
I thought the quote I got must be a record at £691.44 for my 2008 V70 D5 but yours was higher! Did you manage to fix in the end, how did it go? The car seems to drive just fine, although the fuel consumption is worse than my old 2002 D5 (about 37 vs 42 for the old one). Maybe this is the reason?
mark2cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 11:03   #85
brickman
Premier Member

Problem with diesels is they will just run 80% of perfect in approx 20% of optimum condition. So even a number of small problems will only hinder the engine a little bit, as its a fairly powerful engine its hard to notice the small loss in performance, but you can notice the small change in fuel efficiency.

Swirl flaps just sound like a universally badly executed part, all manufacturers have problems with them wearing out or snapping off and getting lodged/ingested in the intake manifold.

My neighbors 2011 A5 3.0tdi (stock!) recently ate some part of its swirl flap pretty much totaling the top of the engine, of course its a handy 4 months outside its VAG warranty. He might get a 50/50 cost share with VAG UK though as it was full dealer history and its had idle/low throttle issues for about a year, so the problem should have prob been dealt with during its warranty
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 11:22   #86
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you can get a pin repair kit from volvo for this which does the same thing for about £4 , a bit stronger pin . :-)
Clan, I'm hoping you can help here. Can you still use this pin kit on the new V70's? Volvo redesigned it for these models but when asked about the repair kit, dealers are saying it needs a brand new swirl arm, requiring the manifold and injectors removing. The cost of doing this and replacing all the seals is said to be around £400 in parts alone.

Also is it replacing like for like, meaning it will need doing again eventually or has it been redesigned again?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 14:53   #87
davidstel

Default Oil Leak from Awirl Arm Lever - help!!

First post for me - hopefully not the last.

I just discovered that the Swirl Arm has become disconnected on my 2006 D5 - may have been that way for years, I've owned it from new - car drives fine.

The thing that drew my attention is an oil leak from the "lever" in the cylinder head that the Swirl Arm attaches to - the lever also seems quite loose - no resistance, it just flaps around.

It looks like to fix the oil leak would be a big job - does anyone have any experience, my local indy guy said to take the car to Volvo and get their opinion.

Many thanks for any insights and assistance.

David
davidstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 14:54   #88
davidstel

Default Oil Leak from Swirl Arm Lever - help!!

I just discovered that the Swirl Arm has become disconnected on my 2006 D5 - may have been that way for years, I've owned it from new - car drives fine.

The thing that drew my attention is an oil leak from the "lever" in the cylinder head that the Swirl Arm attaches to - the lever also seems quite loose - no resistance, it just flaps around.

It looks like to fix the oil leak would be a big job - does anyone have any experience, my local indy guy said to take the car to Volvo and get their opinion.

David
davidstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 19:29   #89
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

to repair the leak, which from what you describe is the inlet manifold gasket. there a rubber gasket from what I understand. you would need to remove the fuel pipes, injectors and then the manifold. you could repair the swirl arm easier this way but the fuel pipes are one use only meaning they would need replacing and you would also need 5 injector fitting kits again quite expensive. so it can soon amount to a sizable repair bill. its not a hard job so you could save money if your handy with the spanners as long as the injectors come out ok then its a nice steady job.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2015, 12:49   #90
dacson1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstel View Post

David
Seems like my D5 has the same issue. Here are some pictures i took last week..The only difference to your car is the arm is still attached.
http://1drv.ms/1ECFVq1
http://1drv.ms/1BPnx77
http://1drv.ms/1BPnJU0
I also took it to the dealer but they said its not of a big problem.!?
Dont know what to do with it..
dacson1987 is offline   Reply With Quote