Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593863

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 13:14   #2181
D4dilemma

Default Volvo Updated Official Info on EGR and Fire Risk

As also posted on the Manifold Fire Risk Recall thread which is highly likely to simply be the latest symptom to the ongoing unresolved EGR issue.
Copied and pasted below are the 3 questions I asked the Honest John Motoring Website to put to Volvo and the answers they got on August 2nd.
Those like me with major problems IE valves, multiple blocked manifolds, emap pipes and EGR coolers etc will be cynical about their Corporate style denial. Most interesting is their confidence cars actually made in 2019 are not affected by the fire risk, conveniently new sales are alright then but they obviously knew the issue at least a year ago or more. What confidence can there be in their 3rd attempt at solving the EGR issue? What exactly is anyone buying a 2018 ex demo or whatever car from Volvo being told?

1. Do Volvo acknowledge or not the continuing EGR related problems on the VEA (typically D4) engine including blocked manifolds and loss of inlet valve seal necessitating expensive major engine repairs? We are aware an intended permanent fix was put in place but understand the above problems have still occurred.

We acknowledge that there has previously been an issue with particle build-up on the engines in question. The solution implemented was a rework of the EGR coolant system to resolve the issue of moisture build up in the EGR cooler. Further to this, there has been a software update released. While we can never guarantee that cars will not suffer isolated faults, we are confident that these combined actions have proved a robust solution.

2. Given well documented identical symptoms for BMW melting inlet manifolds, do Volvo acknowledge any cause related to any EGR issue under their recent recall, given it was the precise cause at BMW? It being the case that other than air, the only substances introduced into the engine via the manifold come through the EGR valve and associated system.

The corrective action is still under development, and we therefore cannot currently comment on which components will be affected by the corrective action – nor can we comment on other manufacturers.

3. Given the July 2019 Recall includes 2019 vehicles but states there is no current solution to the problem, what is the position and information being given to buyers of new, used or ex demo vehicles etc at dealerships? A crucial point if the solution to any continuing or acknowledged EGR issue is less than certain.

For clarity, the recently announced recall relates to model year 2014-19 cars, production of which ended last year. There are no potentially affected cars being sold as new.

It is safe for customers to drive these cars, as long as there is no error message relating to the engine and the car does not display any of the symptoms previously identified. When it comes to used cars, we have advised our UK retailer network that they must communicate with all customers purchasing one of the models in question to make them aware of the issue, potential symptoms to look out for, and the forthcoming recall.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 18:16   #2182
Hilton
C J

Default D4 EGR dliemma

So I have a dilemma with my MY17 XC60 D4 at 32K miles, which has performed faultlessly so far. As the PCP bubble payment date approaches on 1 September should I pay the 15K bubble and keep or hand back to Volvo ?

Thoughts..

And if I hand it back, what to replace it with ?

Last edited by Hilton; Aug 13th, 2019 at 18:19.
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 20:29   #2183
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'd hand it back and replace it with something that isn't diesel.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 21:43   #2184
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'd hand it back and replace it with something that isn't diesel.
It's certainly one of my current thoughts, although finding a used XC60 T5/6 seems more challenging than in Aug 17 when I bought this one new.

So the 3 main factors in retaining it are:

- how will I gain confidence that Volvo will develop a 'permanent' fix that will reduce the risk of this EGR issue occurring/reappearing and avert other expensive damage to the engine?

- will Volvo support the VEA engine for the next 15 years and without excessive support costs to the owner?

- will a petrol or Hybrid XC60 model prove to be more reliable in the long term?
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 21:55   #2185
Gadgetman

I’m thinking about changing my 2015 78k D4. Only had the EGR issue at 28k when the car was around 18months old (had it from new) drove a T5 demo a couple of weeks ago, just found it to flat. really don’t know what to buy.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 22:24   #2186
Hilton
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I’m thinking about changing my 2015 78k D4. Only had the EGR issue at 28k when the car was around 18months old (had it from new) drove a T5 demo a couple of weeks ago, just found it to flat. really don’t know what to buy.
So have you suffered EGR issues over the last 50K miles ?

I'm very impressed with the all-round performance and economy (48 is current average over 30K) of my D4 and ideally I would prefer to keep it like most folk I imagine.

Quite a difficult decision as this was my retirement purchase, so not looking to spend too much!
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 22:36   #2187
Gadgetman

It’s been faultless since 28K Think I’ll just keep it for the time being. local dealer offered me 10k as a trade in against a new car on the infinity scheme. Feel like they are pulling my pants down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgetman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:38   #2188
Gadgetman

One other comment re my D4 is that colleagues who work in the engine sensor world advise me to redline the engine for a couple of miles every month or so when the engine is nice and hot. I do this and also mentioned it a while ago to a Volvo technician. He confirmed its good to get the hot gases flowing quickly through the EGR system. I don’t honestly know if it’s does any good but it’s what I do. I’ve probably just been lucky. At the hint of any trouble I’ll just get rid and go for a new D4 with the ad blue system. The whole subject makes me slightly nervous.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:54   #2189
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
It’s been faultless since 28K Think I’ll just keep it for the time being. local dealer offered me 10k as a trade in against a new car on the infinity scheme. Feel like they are pulling my pants down.

Hi
Same proposal from Volvo France last year ...
I cannot trust in Volvo anymore, I have so many problems with my V60...
I add oil, and hope it will last some more years.
I'm waiting for the July fire alert fix.

Regards
Christophe
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:07   #2190
Hilton
C J

Question

Quote:
One other comment re my D4 is that colleagues who work in the engine sensor world advise me to redline the engine for a couple of miles every month or so when the engine is nice and hot. I do this and also mentioned it a while ago to a Volvo technician. He confirmed its good to get the hot gases flowing quickly through the EGR system. I don’t honestly know if it’s does any good but it’s what I do. I’ve probably just been lucky. At the hint of any trouble I’ll just get rid and go for a new D4 with the ad blue system. The whole subject makes me slightly nervous.
That is actually what I do, ever since my previous XC70 D3 triggered an EMS light at 60K, and dealer recommended same treatment. After a day of spirited driving with bursts of 4000 rpm, the exhaust exhumed a stream of dirty smoke for a mile or so, the EMS light disappeared and the engine behaved sweetly for another 65K miles. I have done the same with the D4, so maybe it's a way of managing the build up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilton For This Useful Post: