Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Ignition

Views : 3288

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:36   #31
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Also worth asking Rob about the manifolds and header etc. If going for SUs you can get the separate SU intake manifold and then get the good flowing separate exhaust manifold rather than a header.

https://www.sw-em.com/manifolding_notes.htm
That's good info thanks, I have the SU's and the alloy inlet manifold ready and was thinking of using the twin outlet cast exhaust manifold as well, i see they are being sold again by Brookhouse but ill see if i can get a good second hand one for a better price.

The list of the heads is the one i sent in a little while ago, I have a spare the low compression head by the look of the measurements so i will prepare that one ready I'm not sure if ill fit bigger inlets as yet but i also have a list of all the parts needed... i will need new valves anyway so might go down that route... thanks for the 123 info i will get it from Amazon as they do seem to have the correct maps for unleaded..plus as you said i hope to get some advice from them. I have been buying parts from both Brookhouse and Amazon Cars since I've owned the Volvo...both been very helpful.

As i said my Amazon is only a cruiser a have a competition car for out and out speed
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 12:48   #32
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Don't use a B20 head on a B18. Yes it will run smoothly but that will be down to low compression unless the B20 head is skimmed quite a bit. B20 compressions are adjusted by head gasket thickness whereas the B18 CR is done by head height. There are different gaskets but Volvo mostly just used one. B20 on B18 gives a mismatch in the larger combustion chamber size on a smaller B18 bore. You then have to pick either a B18 or 20 gasket and neither will match the head to block joint around the bore. Any spec that ends up at 9.0 to 9.5 CR will much prefer best pump fuel. The engine feels noticeably smoother and a bit more lively. Anything over that i.e. the 10.1 engines needs the best, they were designed for 100 octane. B18a and B20a with standard compression can get by on 95 but better on 97, Twin carbs and higher CR best on Premium 99 IMO even at the extra cost.
Much appreciated info
As i dont do that many miles a year in the Amazon i dont mind running premium fuel..many thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 09:33   #33
Bracpan

I have searched high and low and cant find my timing gun....
Can anybody recommend a good one and is it worth getting one that can set the timing on digitally and see the engine speeds ?
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:17   #34
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

BP;

...you don't really need one! Just follow my steps for Static Timing, and you'll be within a degree or two, and check function of your Ign Sys (except for Centrifugal Advance) at the same time!

See: https://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Igniti...tatic%20Timing

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 20:30   #35
HRA

I went for PowerSpark for my B20A Amazon. I've had it for few years now and it's been totally reliable (touches wood quickly!) It didn't cost the earth and it has saved me the frustration I've previously had with poor-quality condensers on other cars.

The only downside is that if you have a rev-counter then you probably need to budget for a RVI-RVC conversion board to make it work again. I got one from Spiyda that does the trick. It was easy enough to install and calibration was straightforward.
HRA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HRA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 10:47   #36
Bracpan

It looks like its cheaper to get a 123 Dizzy from the manufacture in Holland
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 12:31   #37
Bracpan

This amazon is driving me around the bend...
I got a timing gun, set it at the correct settings in the book ( it was slightly out)
Drove it today and the damn thing is slightly worse.
I had the exact same problem last year it runs ok until you hit a long hill, you would swear its not getting enough fuel, but checked all that and even fitted a new fuel tank to get rid of the crud in the old one.. problem still there.
I then changed the points, condenser, plugs etc and it was fine...
But a few weeks ago without doing anything too it the problem returned..
On a long hill it just goes flat and missing....again you swear it was fuel..
But it only went when I changed the ignition parts.... i think its something do do with sitting around for so long during covid, but i did start it every week and warmed it up fully....
Its cant be points and plugs again as its not done many miles since!!!
Something is breaking down under load ? I've had coils go before but usually they just stop....im really getting pi***d off with it now..

Last edited by Bracpan; Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:37.
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 12:38   #38
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

What carb or carbs have you got?

If fitting the 123 dizzy ideally you should also fit the blue Bosch coil, I’d do that before messing with the carb unless you have a Stromberg?
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 14:28   #39
Bracpan

Its a Zenith carb I know about SU's but know B all about Zenith...
But i still believe its to do with the ignition ...
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 17:11   #40
142 Guy
Master Member

Have you checked the operation of the advance mechanism with your timing light? Run the engine from idle up to about 2500 - 3000 RPM (wherever maximum advance occurs) and check for smooth and correct advance with your timing. Repeat 2 -3 times to check for consistency.

If the advance mechanism works as it should, carefully examine the spark plugs, coil and spark plug high voltage wires, the rotor on the distributor, the distributor cap wire connections and the inside of the distributor cap and the tower on the high voltage terminal of the coil. What you are looking for are signs of carbon tracking which can lead to flashover and ignition misfire. On the wires you will have to pull back the protective rubber boots to expose the insulated end of the wire to determine if there is any surface tracking on the wire. Misfires due to carbon tracking can be engine load sensitive and can be sensitive to atmospheric conditions. Tracking may cause misfires in cool / damp conditions and then vanish under hot / dry conditions.

If the timing is good and there are no signs of flashovers the next time you start to suffer from the problem, remove the plugs and have a look at the porcelain surrounding the center electrode. Does the color indicate that they are running on the lean side? If so, you might be getting lean misfire and perhaps your problem really is a fuel problem, not an ignition problem.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: