Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner needs advice!

Views : 980

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2011, 18:27   #1
b1gn3ll2011

Default New owner needs advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Ive just brought a Volvo S60 2.4 T S, it has just had its MOT but when driving it ive noticed a slight hesitation at low revs not like misfiring its like if your doing 25-30mph it hesitates slightly, on full acceleration its as smooth as anything, also noticed it doing 70-80mph again when your just cruising at a certain speed. Not owned one before so any help would be appreciated. I put shell V power in and it stopped would this be the problem?
b1gn3ll2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 18:49   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi
have a look at this thread may help.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 23:45   #3
b1gn3ll2011

ok how do I fix it??
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 00:01   #4
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gn3ll2011 View Post
ok how do I fix it??
I did mine recently and basically it just had a build up of crud inside it. So more of a clean rather than a fix.
How I did it - First thing I did was disconnect the battery (this isn't actually necessary, just unplug the ETM). Then and this was the slightly awkward bit, unbolt the ETM, it's underneath the inlet manifold right in the middle and held in with four 6mm bolts, you have to feel for them, there's one in each corner. I used a deep 10mm socket and managed not to skin my knuckles!
When the bolts were removed, there was enough cable for it to be rested on a piece of rag, upside down, on top of the inlet manifold. Then out with the carburettor cleaner and an old toothbrush and give it a good clean, including the edge of the butterfly. Wipe it clean and dry and re assemble in the reverse order, I even used the old gasket.
Resulting in the car running better than it ever had in my ownership and extinguishing the management light.
The whole operation took me about 45 minutes and that was the first time i'd ever done it.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:21   #5
b1gn3ll2011

Thanks for your help will have a go later on
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 17:25   #6
princepugh

I'm sure this has been done to death in the past but IMO it is worth cleaning the butterfly as it is prone to getting gunked up usually making for a bad idle. Other ETM related driveability symptoms are likely to remain though as even with the software upgrade you can't mask the physical degradation of the tracks on the pot...
princepugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 17:28   #7
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
I'm sure this has been done to death in the past but IMO it is worth cleaning the butterfly as it is prone to getting gunked up usually making for a bad idle. Other ETM related driveability symptoms are likely to remain though as even with the software upgrade you can't mask the physical degradation of the tracks on the pot...

Very true, but it'll have to come off either way.
In the case of my car, it was only a crud build up, so it only cost me a little time!
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote