Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 immobiliser issue ( I think)

Views : 899

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 16:48   #1
Ian 67
mr

Smile S60 D5 immobiliser issue ( I think)

Hi can anybody help me with a problem. I have a S60 D5 2003 I have had this car 12 yrs and love it 200000 plus miles around europe. Its been an absolute pleasure to own never failed or let me down in anyway.

However yesterday my wife went out in the car she she got in ( doors were unlocked when she got to the car) and started the car no problem. But she had forgot something stopped the car to go back in the house. This is when she noticed the key fob was not on the keyring. She locked the car using the key but when she returned minutes later the car would not start.

Everything comes on all the electrics work it just will not turn over. I found the key fob under a chair it must have been dropped as it had broken apart and been there overnight, its the only one I have for the vehicle.
The fob is back together and operates the doors head lights etc no problem.

I have tried all the tips of pressing the trip counter button and do get the amber triangle flashing but still wont start. I have tried the locking and unlocking the doors. I have disconnected the battery but has not reset.Its like the immobiliser is not turning off.

I would appreciate any thoughts on fixing this. I am normally ok at fixing issues but cant think what this can be.

Cheers
Ian 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 17:21   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

It certainly sounds like the car is not detecting the immobilizer chip in the keyfob.

The piece that enables the immobilizer is a passive immobilizer chip, which is like a little glass bead (also called grain-of-rice or pill), glued to the inside case of the remote keyfob
Here's a video showing one being removed from a keyfob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTWwHaJZYc

And another one telling you about keyfobs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GmiNnTAG2Q

The immobiliser chip is not part of the remote lock/unlock system (which is the battery and little circuit board and buttons)

If you dropped the keyfob and it broke, the immobilizer chip may have come dislodged and be lying on the floor somewhere. Or it might have broken on the impact.

If you cannot find the immobilizer chip, then you will need to get a replacement key from Volvo ($$$$)

Note that when Volvo program a new key, they need all keys physically present with the car, as any key not there on the day will be disabled.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Mar 11th, 2019 at 17:24.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 16:13   #3
Ian 67
mr

Smile Not the immobiliser

Thanks for the information very much appreciated. I Checked immobiliser, keys etc all seemed in order. So spoke with local car locksmith and was advised the same only way to reprogram is through volvo so was expecting £££ to fall out of my pocket. When I spoke with volvo I was advised that the first diagnostic tests are £114 per hr so was right about cost. And of course I had to get the car to them.

Now the best bit called RAC to recover the vehicle to volvo. Explained to the mechanic who attended what had happened. He got a wire from the van ran it from the relay/battery direct to starter motor and car started.

Checked battery was charging all ok so stopped the engine and tried again, no start.So un plugged main feed to starter motor cleaned terminal up with emery paper and turned key started straight away. Problem gone. who would have thunk it. That simple, have to forgive the old car it is well over 200k on clock the first time its ever stopped in my 12yrs of owning it .
Ian 67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immobiliser