Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration at 55 to 70 mph

Views : 937

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2021, 17:00   #1
Lukasguy

Question Vibration at 55 to 70 mph

Hi peoples

I've got an annoying vibration when when driving between about 55 mph to 70 mph. At speeds above this the vibration goes away and the car drives nicely.

I can feel the vibration in the car itself, but also a little bit in the steering wheel.

At first I thought it were my wheels so I had them all balanced. Vibration is still there.
Next I noticed my brakes needed replacing so I did that as well, vibration still there.
I also replaced all 3 motor mounts which also didn't help in this case.

My next suspect would be my cv axles because I've read that they can also cause vibration during this speed but this would mostly be during acceleration, which is not the case with me because the car keeps vibrating even when I let go of the gas. Could it still be these? I also sometimes notice a faint ticking noise when turning a small bit on the highway.

I've also had the 2 front wheel bearings replaced in the beginning of the year so these are still good.

The car in question is a C30 1.6D2 from 2011.

Thanks everyone!
Lukasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 17:42   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

check the inside edges of all tires exsesive wear will cause vibrations
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 20:35   #3
Lukasguy

Tyres are pretty new (couple of months old). Though I did check and they don't have unusual wear
Old Jul 6th, 2021, 20:00   #4
Lukasguy

Just rotated my wheels (front to back and back to front) and the vibration is exactly the same. Any ideas?
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 08:25   #5
Wgl2020

This seems to be a common issue on these cars.

Genuine Volvo driveshafts are £££ and aftermarket ones are not always great...... this could be the cause.

Given the cost involved in replacing these it's sensible to rule out other potential causes. Check for play in control arms, ball joints, drop links and shocks/ top mounts. If these are all good then I would suggest getting a proper 4 wheel alignment check (Hunter or similar).
Wgl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 09:27   #6
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasguy View Post
Just rotated my wheels (front to back and back to front) and the vibration is exactly the same. Any ideas?
This is what I'd have suggested but clearly it's not wheels or tyres. if the driveshafts are going I hear it's manly under load that you get the vibration. Maybe this only happens further down the line with worn driveshafts, and you've spotted very symptoms? It seems only OEM driveshafts last in these cars and they're not cheap, so as suggested above get a garage to check all suspension components and bushes, get a decent alignment done and take it from there.
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 11:53   #7
Lukasguy

Thanks for the help guys
I'll take the car to a garage to have a look at everything to see if anything is worn/loose
Old Jul 7th, 2021, 13:09   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

On these cars, there are lots of things that can cause this.
  • Unbalanced Wheels
  • A bad wheel bearing
  • Worn Front Control Arm bushes
  • Brake discs warped
  • Driveshafts

My S40 T5 shook badly on the front left side due to wheel bearing, it stopped immediately after I replaced it. Then about a year later it started to develop a vibration at 50-70mph range, but it would come and go. I then polybushed the front control arms and that cured it completely. Worth noting that the car had always pulled to the left since I'd bought it, and after doing the control arms, the car pulled completely straight.

Don't immediately rush out to buy driveshafts as they arent cheap.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 11:49   #9
Kentish Dragon

For what it's worth,
When I got my v50 it had the same vibration.....only from about 50mph up to about 70-75mph.
I changed both driveshafts & bottom suspension arms, as there was play in the bushes.
Cured the vibration ( apart from a little from antiroll bar droplinks over rough surfaces, which were on back order at the time)
Hope that helps.
Kentish Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 07:25   #10
Lukasguy

Smile

Hey guys, the problem has been fixed!

I found a nice deal on 4 wheels with tyres. So I put those on and there was still a vibration, but after having them balanced the vibration was gone! It appears one or more of my wheels is a bit bent which the guys at the balancing machine didn't notice.

So a bent balanced wheel can still cause vibration!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lukasguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
1.6d2, c30, cv axle, vibration