Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on a XC90 - new to forum new to volvo

Views : 4175

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 21:46   #21
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthejungle View Post
Update and question :

Volvo dealer in Reading (Wayland) has said that the engine light and my perceived feeling that there was a lag when I put my foot down points to a Turbo issue. Quoted 4K now to fix it!!! However, the engine light since getting car back from the service has gone away...I went for a long drive and the lag I had noticed previously isn’t there. I will drive it around for a while and get a second opinion from a different garage if the light comes back on.

Is my wait and watch approach sensible or should I be going to the bottom of this now?? Thanks
My apologies if I've missed something here ... you have a clear problem, which may or may not have 'rectified itself automagically', a dealer (up to you whether you trust them) has diagnosed the problem - did they say what codes had been stored and read to give them that diagnosis? - and you have a warranty. I'd be kicking doors down for a full resolution under warranty - delaying may only potentially make the problem worse and give the warranty company an 'out'
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 22:00   #22
lordofthejungle

Good point. I will ask for that but also get a second opinion from a separate dealership/independent.

I don’t think issue magically disappeared but I have read here that the engine light has gone for others post software update?!

But as you say fix it now before it becomes a bigger issue!
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:00   #23
bluey_xc90

Quick thing relating to running two earlier xc90's to 100k miles - on those the intercoolers would start to go by 70k miles, and mess up the fuel air mixture.

Could be that with higher boost pressures on the newer 2.0l engines this is even more prone to happening - so messing up the fuel/air mix due to leaks in intercooler - and this cna give smoke out the back which is black and overwhelm the DPF.

Sometimes the simpler things can easily be misdiagnosed as more expensive ones - and should be done first to see if make any difference?

Also don't discount the powerpulse pipe on the D5 - that could have gone further reducing power from start
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:04   #24
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Alarming advisory on the car at the first service at Volvo. Few amber advisory but 3 bigger issues have showed up. 1. Turbo issue in a smaller Turbo, 2. Exhaust leakage, 3. Oil leak. Waiting to see how much it all costs but the Turbo bit alone I was told could be around 2k including labour.

It’s a gamble when you get a car but let’s now see how the extended warranty that Big Motor World sold to me holds up.

It’s only been a month since I got the car and thus really unhappy that this wasn’t picked up on their 140 points check!!! Now cars can go wrong so it’s one of those things and if the warranty covers it then happy days!

However, I will look into independent Volvo technicians for second opinion especially on the Turbo, which the main dealer (Wayland) said that they suspect but can’t confirm unless they get to it.

Fingers crossed!
I think you've only had the car a few weeks? If that's the case, ought you not to be getting back on to the supplying dealer? The warranty you bought is secondary to their obligation to you under the Consumer Rights Act. Any warranty company is going to do everything they can to weasel out of making a payment, and they'd probably argue that what you're finding was a pre existing condition, there when you bought the car.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:09   #25
lordofthejungle

Good point. I had the car for 6 weeks now. Spoke to the warranty guys and they would only cover the costs given by an independent service provider and not main dealer and only supply a refurbished turbo which will be further covered by the warranty.

However, I will follow up on the consumer act.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:30   #26
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Good point. I had the car for 6 weeks now. Spoke to the warranty guys and they would only cover the costs given by an independent service provider and not main dealer and only supply a refurbished turbo which will be further covered by the warranty.

However, I will follow up on the consumer act.
In post 7, I thought you said the warranty covered main dealers? Refurbished turbo? They probably won't want to cover the diagnostic cost or new oil feed pipes as well. This is all looking a bit grim to be honest.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 12:43   #27
lordofthejungle

Indeed little grim. But I have raised it as an issue with the selling dealer (big motoring world) as it’s only been 6 weeks since purchase. I will see if they can contribute and/or fix the issue in their own garage. But I am mentally preparing myself for some costs over on top of what the warranty will cover. Wasn’t expecting a hit this soon on the car but cars are a gamble anyways! I might fix and sell it while the second hand prices are strong!! Original plan was to keep car for 10 odd years...but it’s an expensive model to keep taking a chance on .

Got the codes from Volvo dealer...

ECM-P226200 turbocharger boost pressure not detected mechanical

ECM-P029900 Turbocharger underboost condition
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:01   #28
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
I think you've only had the car a few weeks? If that's the case, ought you not to be getting back on to the supplying dealer? The warranty you bought is secondary to their obligation to you under the Consumer Rights Act. Any warranty company is going to do everything they can to weasel out of making a payment, and they'd probably argue that what you're finding was a pre existing condition, there when you bought the car.
Knew I'd miss something - if only 6 weeks back to the original dealer, make it their problem and their responsibility to fix to your satisfaction - if they refuse i suggest reject the car under CRA and get your money back.

Just driven mine 30 miles on A roads to get new windscreen fitted - other than the seat i do quite like it but I have a strong suspicion i would hate it out of a strong warranty. Example, 4 weeks ago steering lock module failed so sporadic non-starter - to fix inc the obligatory £110 diagnostic fee (look in the Sensus car status guys) would have cost me £465. Whats going to fail next?
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:24   #29
lordofthejungle

Thanks! Definitely will be pursuing them. Have called and created a case. Sent them the details and will see how it progresses. I am not well versed on CRA/reject approach, is there anything I can read up to arm myself to have that argument. I like the car otherwise!

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/kn...n-buying-a-car

Last edited by lordofthejungle; Jul 28th, 2021 at 14:29.
lordofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:32   #30
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks! Definitely will be pursuing them. Have called and created a case. Sent them the details and will see how it progresses. I am not well versed on CRA/reject approach, is there anything I can read up to arm myself to have that argument. I like the car otherwise!

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/kn...n-buying-a-car
You've spent £25k+ on a car from a dealer that's probably going to find every excuse not to fix the car. I'd be going to a solicitor now. I wouldn't be trusting any free advice off a forum. Other than go and see a solicitor!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post: