Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS system or reluctor rings

Views : 3092

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2016, 09:48   #1
D5V70

Default ABS system or reluctor rings

I see that I am not the only one suffering some recent brake problems and the other threads have given me some great knowledge

I recently changed my wishbone bushes and noticed that my NS driveshaft outer CV bolt had infact almost come out completely . I tightened it up and the car went for an MOT and all was well .
Not too long after I started getting the ABS warning and cutting of power on slower left hand tight bends .
This has now rapidly progressed to the ABS system not starting at all and once I hit the magic speed ( which must be about 30 mph ) the system just disables and I forget all about it
I had a good look and yes the NS front reluctor ring would seem to have a small split in it and it is a bit uneven . The sensor is perfectly lined up and I had it out and eyeballed where it sat etc .

My question is whether this small split in the reluctor ring would actually cause so much problem at very slow ( walking even ) speeds ?. Is the system really that accurate ?. Ok , if I had a few missing teeth then I could maybe see it , but is a small crack going to make this much difference . I really can't see it and hence I am wondering whether to try buying a new sensor instead .

Any help appreciated , thanks , Gordon
D5V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 09:54   #2
volvo2
Master Member

When my reluctor ring broke (2002 V70), the warning light would come on only after traveling a short distance / after reaching about 50mph. After parking-up it would be OK again until I once again set off and travelled a short distance.

There were no other symptoms.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 13:48   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5V70 View Post
My question is whether this small split in the reluctor ring would actually cause so much problem at very slow ( walking even ) speeds ?
Yes it could so change the ring.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 18:36   #4
D5V70

An update to this .
It is now sorted .
I bought two new rings from the link on the forum .
No problem getting them to go on , I heated them up with a welding torch and they went on with miles of clearance , but they did shrink down and gripped well .
Did both sides which were both a bit corroded . One side had a small split in it , I really didn't think it would make any difference , but it has .
Thanks .
D5V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5V70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 13:06   #5
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5V70 View Post
An update to this .
It is now sorted .
I bought two new rings from the link on the forum .
No problem getting them to go on , I heated them up with a welding torch and they went on with miles of clearance , but they did shrink down and gripped well .
Did both sides which were both a bit corroded . One side had a small split in it , I really didn't think it would make any difference , but it has .
Thanks .
Yes mine had a small crack, only showed going around a roundabout.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 17:08   #6
2.4TSE
Master Member

A timely thread to find.

"Antiskid service required" appeared the day before departing on a road trip from the UK to Sweden and back via the Channel Tunnel in my 2003 V70, and appeared on and off (usually off) throughout the trip. My guess is that I have one or more corroded reluctor rings so I have three questions, please:

1) Do front and rear rings corrode pretty much equally - in other words change the whole set whilst I am at it?
2) Would the new Volvo OEM driveshaft fitted by my village garage a few months ago have had a reluctor ring already pressed on to it? (Yes, I can dismantle the other side first to find out but knowing may mean I can buy 1 instead of 2, or 3 instead of 4 if not sold as pairs)
3) Should I go with Volvo OEM rings or are there others I can trust from forum members' experience?

Many thanks,
2.4TSE

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 17:22   #7
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post

1) Do front and rear rings corrode pretty much equally - in other words change the whole set whilst I am at it?
2) Would the new Volvo OEM driveshaft fitted by my village garage a few months ago have had a reluctor ring already pressed on to it? (Yes, I can dismantle the other side first to find out but knowing may mean I can buy 1 instead of 2, or 3 instead of 4 if not sold as pairs)
3) Should I go with Volvo OEM rings or are there others I can trust from forum members' experience?

Many thanks,
2.4TSE
1. More or less but lots of factors to consider.
2. Yes I would have thought so, I assume it was a complete shaft assembly, in which case the ring would have been on the CV.
3. Just get some from J&R on eBay for about £3.00 for two delivered. The only real difference between them all would be the metal quality (so some will rust worse and quicker and some have an anti-corrosive coating). I bought the 2 from J&R and then lightly sprayed painted the end of the CV, covering the ring, the lot, until there was a good coating over it all helping to seal the ring to the CV therefore helping to stop water getting in, which causes rust which then expands and splits the rings. I suspect the CV will need replacing before I touch the rings.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Aug 30th, 2016 at 17:25.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 18:04   #8
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIvolvo View Post
1. More or less but lots of factors to consider.
2. Yes I would have thought so, I assume it was a complete shaft assembly, in which case the ring would have been on the CV.
3. Just get some from J&R on eBay for about £3.00 for two delivered. The only real difference between them all would be the metal quality (so some will rust worse and quicker and some have an anti-corrosive coating). I bought the 2 from J&R and then lightly sprayed painted the end of the CV, covering the ring, the lot, until there was a good coating over it all helping to seal the ring to the CV therefore helping to stop water getting in, which causes rust which then expands and splits the rings. I suspect the CV will need replacing before I touch the rings.
A nice and comprehensive reply, thank you TDIvolvo!
Much appreciated.
Yes, it was a complete OEM driveshaft assembly so that leaves three rings to replace then!
J&R here I come.

2.4TSE

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 18:14   #9
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4TSE View Post
A nice and comprehensive reply, thank you TDIvolvo!
Much appreciated.
Yes, it was a complete OEM driveshaft assembly so that leaves three rings to replace then!
J&R here I come.

2.4TSE
The rear ones are internal to the wheel-hub bearing assembly. So even better, only 1 left to change.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Aug 30th, 2016 at 18:17. Reason: Grammer
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 18:16   #10
2.4TSE
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIvolvo View Post
The rear ones are internal wheel-hub bearing assembly. So even better only 1 left to change.
Wahay, thanks!

Tags
abs, brakes, reluctor, v70