Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine shuts off while driving

Views : 1641

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2016, 14:51   #1
eretron

Exclamation Engine shuts off while driving

Hello,

this on is going to be long one, but please bear with me, all mechanics have ran out of ideas, but the problem is still present and it is driving me nuts.

First of all, it is S40 2007 2.0D manual we are talking about.

Problem started in June 2015 driving at 140km/h on highway when the engine has suddenly shuted off, no signs of any trouble before it, it just went dead all of a sudden. Road assistance have reade following error codes:

P2141 - low signal
P0200 - missing signal
P1213 - invalid signal

I was able to start engine again, drove it for the next 50km, when it died once again, and I was unable to start it again.

At the local workshop I was told that the problem is in ECU SID-803A Module, so I have oreder second hand one, reloaded with correct software at official Volvo workshop, but the situation stayed the same, I could not start the engine.

Since then those items have been replaced:

- Magnetic crankshaft ring with sensor
- High pressure fuel pump

After few months all of a sudden car was able to start, and I was driving it for the 3 months.

Once again on a highway, car died on me once again at 120km/h after 50km of driving, after 45minutes I was able to start it once again and drive it flawelessly for the next 40 days... After that there was couple more times it had died on me for no reason...

At workshop following has been done:

- Fuel filter changed
- Fuel tank has been removed and checked for dirt
- All 4 injectors was tested, and 1 was replaced, since one was suspicious

At the moment I have following errors:

P0200
P0380
P1213
P2141

All I can say is that most of the shut offs was during hot days, but not all..

Does anyone have any idea? Where should I look next, what to check for?

Thanks in advance.
eretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 15:24   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Find the CEM and unplug and check the contacts.
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 16:33   #3
Richard3009

If all this work is being done by a garage the car must be costing you a fortune, there comes a time with vehicles where it's cheaper to cut your losses and run, trade it in while it runs. Mine is a 2012 model that's giving me too much grief and has £200 left to sort it, that's my cut off then it goes in to a dealer otherwise where does it end. Could be a good purchase if anyone wants to take it on mint condition car.

Last edited by Richard3009; Sep 24th, 2016 at 16:38.
Richard3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 10:16   #4
arto

Have you checked the transparent fuel lines for air when the engine is unable to start?
arto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 10:57   #5
Horton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Find the CEM and unplug and check the contacts.
What he said - this will be your CEM... Remove it, buy a can of electrical contact cleaner and soak it, really soak it. Then leave it in the sun for a few hours and refit😃 It will start, as long as you plug it back in correctly!
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2016, 16:35   #6
eretron

Ok, so my next task is to check all CEM contacts, will do that in the following days, and will get back with results..

Thanks for your time and ideas folks...
eretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 18:01   #7
Madmax123

Sorry for bumping an old thread, just wondering if you got to the bottom of this?
Also having the p1213 with crank but no start.
Garage reckon ecu needs replacing wand quoted more than the cars worth.
Fuel been primed fully with a hand pump spliced in, no air at all and cem was cleaned and put back in.
At a loss with it.
Ordered another ecu to clone to as garage said it was spiked and immobilised apparently, sent it off to ecu testing but they said they can't work with this model (sid803a) so I've ordered another one from ebay with same numbers as it was cheap in case I have to clone it but I'm worried its a cem issue not ecm, especially since I had anti skid required message too before all this.
If anyone can help it would be massively appreciated, my life is currently on hold while I have no car.
Madmax123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecu, engine, injectors, shutoff