Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Multiple failures ABS, Anti-Skid, speedometer, etc

Views : 991

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2018, 11:46   #1
baglartimus

Unhappy Multiple failures ABS, Anti-Skid, speedometer, etc

When I used my car this morning I had multiple failures:
1.Brake Failure Stop safely, and the ABS warning light remains on, also the brake lamps are on permanently
2.Anti-skid service required
3.Transmission in limp mode
4.Speedometer not working
5.Rev-counter not working
6.Temperature gauge not working

It was a frosty morning, so maybe this has something to do with it?
It was ok yesterday.
I have driven it to work today, and disconnected the battery to avoid flattening the battery, as the brake light never go off.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause? Maybe it is some sort of CAN-bus communication error caused by corrosion or water ingress?
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 12:18   #2
jeremycolley

You will need to get the codes read to begin with. I had similar problems with my 2005 XC70 - which are documented in the thread below

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285069

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon with advice - it's possible that your problem could be caused by a low battery problem (fits with the cold weather) or an issue with your DIM

Jeremy

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 12:37   #3
baglartimus

Post What are all these 3 letter abbreviations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycolley View Post
You will need to get the codes read to begin with. I had similar problems with my 2005 XC70 - which are documented in the thread below

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285069

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon with advice - it's possible that your problem could be caused by a low battery problem (fits with the cold weather) or an issue with your DIM

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. Is there somewhere that defines what all these three letter abbreviations are?
My battery is relatively new, but the alternator could be worn, so I'll check the voltages. I noticed a slight flickering in the headlights on a 50 mile drive on Sunday night.
I already have a cheap Chinese code reader, so I'll see what this tells me. Can you tell what models of Vida and Dice you have and maybe where I could get them?
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 13:42   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Indeed, the very first thing to check with so many anomalies is the alternator voltage with the engine warmed up and idling. You need to have about 13.7v with a fully charged battery and about 14.4v with the battery slightly discharged (battery charging voltage). Inspect as well all power cable connections at the alternator, battery, fuse box near the engine air filter box, etc
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 08:41   #5
jeremycolley

Hi - sorry about the acronyms. There are a number of modules which control all the various functions. DIM = Drivers information module. CEM = Central Electronics Module. My issue was with the CEM. etc. etc.

As for a code reader, you would be best getting in touch with CHESHIRED5 on here, who advertises VIDA (software) and DICE hardware on (the for sale section) that you need to read and translate the codes. It has diagnostics and repair guides and some other useful functions.

Jeremy

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 19:15   #6
bob865349
Bob865349

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglartimus View Post
1.Brake Failure Stop safely, and the ABS warning light remains on, also the brake lamps are on permanently

It was ok yesterday.
I have driven it to work today, and disconnected the battery to avoid flattening the battery, as the brake light never go off.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause? Maybe it is some sort of CAN-bus communication error caused by corrosion or water ingress?
Hi Baglartimus
I have a 2011 XC70 which had similar faults, I bought the car in Dec 2017 and have only been able to use it for 3 months in total since then the car has been collected from the roadside 4 times in the UK and once in France. After a lot of digging it transpires that the car has had this problem since 2016 with the original owner who sold it on, since then it has had 3 further owners including me. The car would lose the power steering and fault codes would include Brake failure stop safely DSTC fault the engine would go into limp mode the speedo and rev counter would fail and the rear tailgate wouldn't open. We think the fault lies in the Electronic steering module, Lukas at Volvo diagnostic 07977660678 is the only person worth talking to, his knowledge is vast and he is very reasonable with customers and also honest. My car has had thousands spent on it by it's four owners I have spent over £4000 on it alone very little of which was with Lukas. Volvo UK and Sweden are a waste of time talking to and the dealers have no idea what the problem is.
Regards
Bob

Last edited by bob865349; Dec 5th, 2018 at 19:49.
bob865349 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob865349 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 17:04   #7
baglartimus

Unhappy Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglartimus View Post

It was ok yesterday.
After leaving it over-night with the battery disconnected, on reconnecting in the morning, and starting up, all the faults have magically disappeared.
So it looks like it's an intermittent fault, possibly caused by water, and or ice.
Hopefully it'll keep going until the holidays when I might be able to get around to fixing it.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:32   #8
bob865349
Bob865349

What I forgot to mention is, if like me the car won't restart after leaving it,you need to buy a copy Vida dice 2014 and read the codes and reset them, you should then be able to restart the car but it means having the code reader and laptop in the car. I have tried several other code readers which when the car is in that state are unable to communicate through the OBD port.
Regards
Bob
bob865349 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob865349 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:41   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I had a similar issue over the weekend with my later gen V60. Definitely not the alternator or battery but, like yours, all the problems magically disappeared after disconnecting the battery for a few hours. Hopefully they'll stay gone!
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289206

Tags
abs, anti-skid, can-bus, electrical, limp mode