Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 837478

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 11:14   #591
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The irony is that by doing those mods he's detracted from the value of a real limited edition Anniversary model which he is at pains to point out in the listing.

Any value enhancement of it being an Anniversary model would be instantly wiped out two-fold because of the mods.

As i'm sure you know Alan, many manufacturers made limited edition models, mainly to boost sales of run-out models. With this being a 1977 car, it is to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Volvo who started in 1927 as a spin-off (yes, pun intended! ) from the Swedish Bearing Factory or as we know them, SKF (those being the initials for the Swedish words for Swedish Bearing Factory) so is a genuine limited edition, not a marketing idea to shift otherwise redundant bodyshells!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 12:15   #592
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The irony is that by doing those mods he's detracted from the value of a real limited edition Anniversary model which he is at pains to point out in the listing.

Any value enhancement of it being an Anniversary model would be instantly wiped out two-fold because of the mods.

As i'm sure you know Alan, many manufacturers made limited edition models, mainly to boost sales of run-out models. With this being a 1977 car, it is to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Volvo who started in 1927 as a spin-off (yes, pun intended! ) from the Swedish Bearing Factory or as we know them, SKF (those being the initials for the Swedish words for Swedish Bearing Factory) so is a genuine limited edition, not a marketing idea to shift otherwise redundant bodyshells!
As this is a genuine Anniversary model, would it be too difficult to return this "Modified" car back to its original condition? fromthe list, it seems the only "non standard" items are wheels, shocks and springs. Surely these wont be too difficult to obtain and revert back? i admit the pice is very steep, and the seller obviously deems his modifications "Improves" the car. It might from a handling perspective but not from an originallity persepective which is wher the money is for these cars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 12:18   #593
Thekilt

Looking into the sellers other items for the aniversary volvo, i think he must be smoking something as the other items (DVD's especially) are way over priced! the transformers DVD for example is £5392 on amazon for the 1-4!
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 13:05   #594
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
As this is a genuine Anniversary model, would it be too difficult to return this "Modified" car back to its original condition? fromthe list, it seems the only "non standard" items are wheels, shocks and springs.
Here's the list :

4 new 18 x 8 alloy wheels (direct from Sweden)
4 new tyres (new wheel nuts and locks)

New top tint wind screen and new wind screen clips
4.60mm new lowering springs (classic swede)
4 new gaz shocks adjustable (classic swede)

4 new break callipers (classic swede)
4 new disc pads (classic swede)

2 new bottom ball joints (blue print)
2 new top joints (blue print) viscous fan
2 new track rod ends (blue print)
New Volvo cambelt (4 new mud flaps)
New water pump (blue print)
New cambelt tensioner (blue print)
Some new brake pipes
2 new door handles (classic swede)
New oil filter (Volvo) 4 new window rubbers (genuine Volvo)
Oil change (new brake master cylinder brook house Volvo)
4 new spark plugs (new number plates)
4 new plug leads (new carb diaphragm)
New adjustable panhard rod and new poly bushes

I've highlighted the definite mods in red and the possible mods in orange.

The poly bushes are a desirable mod in as much as they will outlast rubber and give a better ride and control, however the other stuff isn't going to be as easy or cheap as you may think.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 20:26   #595
Thekilt

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-VOLV....m46890.l49286

I think just takes the biscuit to be honest! Left hand drive, not even original engine (as far as I’m aware that doesn’t classify for MOT/tax exempt?!
The interior is in poor condition and rust spots all over?? ... and he wants £10k for it?!

He must be in Crystal meth!
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 20:33   #596
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I think just takes the biscuit to be honest! Left hand drive, not even original engine (as far as I’m aware that doesn’t classify for MOT/tax exempt?!
The interior is in poor condition and rust spots all over?? ... and he wants £10k for it?!

It was exmpt before he did the engine swap. He also still has the original for rebuild/repair, replace oil pressure relief valve and change the oil filter.

Given his location, i doubt it's crystal meth, more like sugar beet fumes!

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 20:45   #597
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is correct Dave, for the Historic Vehicle class all the 1981 (up to 31/12/81) will qualify on 1/4/22, and the 1982 cars (from 1/1/82) on 1/4/23, so an X registration car could be in either bracket.

MoT is slightly different - that is from the motor car's 40th birthday to the day.

Isn't that Volvo (the one the Reliant chap is selling) or a Car and Classic auction soon? In that case we will find out what it is really worth - I think my previous guess was something like £3,500, which in the light of other cars we have seen recently would seem about right.
I think a little bit more than £3500, I have been looking for a nice GLT for 18months, and this is one of the closest, and I haven’t seen anything this standard go for less than 4K. There have been glt for less, but not this good if that makes sense.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 21:02   #598
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I'd agree, £10,000 is (in my humble opinion) ridiculous for that motor car (but maybe someone will buy it).
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 21:06   #599
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
I think a little bit more than £3500, I have been looking for a nice GLT for 18months, and this is one of the closest, and I haven’t seen anything this standard go for less than 4K. There have been glt for less, but not this good if that makes sense.
Well, if you are comfortable with the price buy it in Car and Classic... Dave tells us the auction starts tomorrow.

:-)
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 21:17   #600
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, if you are comfortable with the price buy it in Car and Classic... Dave tells us the auction starts tomorrow.

:-)
the auction started today Alan and ends in ~6 days time :

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auct...240-glt-vnvjan

Seems the first bid needs to be £100.......................