Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 822450

Replies : 6257

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 13:36   #641
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I wonder and suspect if this, let us say interesting, thread
has promoted the sale of this Bertone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324589962...e5f5%7Ciid%3A1

That is getting bids now ... if all is kushtie ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 13:52   #642
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think it's all to do with the chat in the 19th hole Alan, some merchant banker or similar will be extolling the virtues of classic car ownership and how he keeps his 1979 Volvo 262C in climate controlled comfort and onlu uses it on high days and holidays so that in years to come it will be worth so much more because it will be one of a kind.

What he doesn't add is that the person who buys it 3 decades later to reflate his retirement fund will also be one of a kind but by then will be extolling the virtues of when cars actually had engines and could travel for thousands of miles with simple refills of petrol at conveniently placed stations along their routes instead of having to plug the thing in overnight to get a 90 mile range.

An, interesting, post.

Surely, merchant bankers know the realities of finance.

Or was dave indulging an unhappy euphemism.

And by the way. I think I recall a thread where a member had a restored Bertone in safe care.

A happy thread.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 27th, 2021 at 13:56.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 13:58   #643
Thekilt

I really like the interior, if this came up at a much better price i would be tempted. the LHD wouldnt bother me, but it would the Mrs but i dont fancy i big project like re-spray etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 14:15   #644
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
I really like the interior, if this came up at a much better price i would be tempted. the LHD wouldnt bother me, but it would the Mrs but i dont fancy i big project like re-spray etc.

The price? I woud see it in the context of Bertone 262.

I wonder why the car had an "over spray"

I think the car remains of interest, perhaps considerable interest, to someone who would like a Bertone.

Buy it and re-spray it? I doubt if someone who wants a serious example would want it with any re-spray.

Why not have a gorgeous car, that can perhaps be bought for far less than a pristine example.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 17:17   #645
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I think it's all to do with the chat in the 19th hole Alan, some merchant banker or similar will be extolling the virtues of classic car ownership and how he keeps his 1979 Volvo 262C in climate controlled comfort and onlu uses it on high days and holidays so that in years to come it will be worth so much more because it will be one of a kind.

What he doesn't add is that the person who buys it 3 decades later to reflate his retirement fund will also be one of a kind but by then will be extolling the virtues of when cars actually had engines and could travel for thousands of miles with simple refills of petrol at conveniently placed stations along their routes instead of having to plug the thing in overnight to get a 90 mile range.
Maybe you are right Dave. I do remember in (about) the 1990s there was a fad for buying classic cars (mostly Astons I think) as if they were fine wine, art or whatever and storing them away. Prices rocketed, then the bubble burst... I can't help thinking memories are quite short :-)
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 20:11   #646
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Maybe you are right Dave. I do remember in (about) the 1990s there was a fad for buying classic cars (mostly Astons I think) as if they were fine wine, art or whatever and storing them away. Prices rocketed, then the bubble burst... I can't help thinking memories are quite short :-)
There are many who haven't quite worked out the first bubble went "pop" Alan, still think they can make a few shekels on the deal or perhaps, they're just being nostalgic and playing with more money.

The 90s fad was always high-end cars, mostly sports cars so as you say, Astons, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches etc but many dabbled in the stuff from Crewe as well, mainly the ones with Lady Eleanor on the bonnet but also some with the "Flying B" too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 13:27   #647
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
There are many who haven't quite worked out the first bubble went "pop" Alan, still think they can make a few shekels on the deal or perhaps, they're just being nostalgic and playing with more money.

The 90s fad was always high-end cars, mostly sports cars so as you say, Astons, Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches etc but many dabbled in the stuff from Crewe as well, mainly the ones with Lady Eleanor on the bonnet but also some with the "Flying B" too.
There is more than a bit of a gamble with buying cars like that Volvo 262C as an investment though Dave. Let's say Cuthbert, our investment banker does have a spare £23,000 and chooses to buy the nicer one. He then stores it in his temperature and humidity controlled garage, taking it out for two days a year. The cost would be considerable in that his £200,000 Bentley might have to sit out in the rain as the Volvo occupies the garage, he would still have to insure it (at least for fire and theft) and keep the fluids fresh.

In (let's say) 20 years time, Cuthbert decides to sell the car decides to sell the car to stoke up his retirement fund. How much will it be worth? Perhaps it is unique - but perhaps a few other collectors (Giles, Charles, Jessica and Felix) all had the same idea, so it turns out that the supply side is rather larger than Cuthbert had expected and the 262 isn't unique after all.

The other factor is demand: will there really be a lot of people willing to pay a great deal for a (by then) 60 year old Volvo? It is hard to say, but here is a 1957 Volvo PV544 for sale at £11,000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...UAAOSwT9dgCvED

... actually that looks like a pretty nice car for the money - and I must admit rather less than I'd expected a 60 year old car to command. I'm thinking that the 262C is sort of unlikely to double in value (at todays prices) in 20 years.

I have no axe to grind here, if Cuthbert wishes to chance his arm on a 40 year old Volvo appreciating faster than his wine cellar or fine art collection than would be entirely his choice. My point is only that I can't see much of a market there.

Who else might be interested in paying £23,000 for a 40 year old Volvo? I think it is sort of unlikely that someone like us would buy a car like that to use as a daily driver as the wear and tear plus the increase in mileage would very soon diminish its value. I'm struggling to see any other source of demand.

I suppose there might be a dyed-in-the-wool Volvophile that has a substantial win on the lotto but eschews the Bentley, Aston or Ferrari and decides to stick with Volvos - but otherwise I'm seeing a tiny market for a car like the 262 at £23,000 - nice car that it is.

Just my musings on a quiet Wednesday afternoon whilst waiting in for an Amazon parcel Dave :-).

Alan
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 14:17   #648
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There is more than a bit of a gamble with buying cars like that Volvo 262C as an investment though Dave. Let's say Cuthbert, our investment banker does have a spare £23,000 and chooses to buy the nicer one. He then stores it in his temperature and humidity controlled garage, taking it out for two days a year. The cost would be considerable in that his £200,000 Bentley might have to sit out in the rain as the Volvo occupies the garage, he would still have to insure it (at least for fire and theft) and keep the fluids fresh.

In (let's say) 20 years time, Cuthbert decides to sell the car decides to sell the car to stoke up his retirement fund. How much will it be worth? Perhaps it is unique - but perhaps a few other collectors (Giles, Charles, Jessica and Felix) all had the same idea, so it turns out that the supply side is rather larger than Cuthbert had expected and the 262 isn't unique after all.

The other factor is demand: will there really be a lot of people willing to pay a great deal for a (by then) 60 year old Volvo? It is hard to say, but here is a 1957 Volvo PV544 for sale at £11,000:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...UAAOSwT9dgCvED

... actually that looks like a pretty nice car for the money - and I must admit rather less than I'd expected a 60 year old car to command. I'm thinking that the 262C is sort of unlikely to double in value (at todays prices) in 20 years.

I have no axe to grind here, if Cuthbert wishes to chance his arm on a 40 year old Volvo appreciating faster than his wine cellar or fine art collection than would be entirely his choice. My point is only that I can't see much of a market there.

Who else might be interested in paying £23,000 for a 40 year old Volvo? I think it is sort of unlikely that someone like us would buy a car like that to use as a daily driver as the wear and tear plus the increase in mileage would very soon diminish its value. I'm struggling to see any other source of demand.

I suppose there might be a dyed-in-the-wool Volvophile that has a substantial win on the lotto but eschews the Bentley, Aston or Ferrari and decides to stick with Volvos - but otherwise I'm seeing a tiny market for a car like the 262 at £23,000 - nice car that it is.

Just my musings on a quiet Wednesday afternoon whilst waiting in for an Amazon parcel Dave :-).

Alan
Nicely put Alan - the big difference between us and Cuthbert with his Cowshed Confetti Tinted Testacles is we can see all that. He, somehow, refuses to see that and thinks he'll still make money.

Errr, that should have read "Cowshed Confetti Tinted Spectacles" - got carried away with my alliteration but reading it back, decided to leave it as it was!

If i had a lottery win, i might buy a 262C just to have one to occasionally drive and yes, it would be garaged in a purpose-built climate controlled garage but i wouldn't pay £23k for the car!

The 262C would be on the same list as a Panther Rio Especial, an Avon Triumph Acclaim Turbo and a few other "unicorn" cars.

Meanwhile i've just changed the tube in a 4" split-rim alloy wheel, need to repair the old one now. Not punctured in the true sense but a manufacturing defect on the seam usd to close the tube.
Then find out which of the exhaust rubbers have broken/come adrift on my back box and refit/fit new ones/fit a bodge if i haven't any spares then make a start on Lukes speedo, take Sasha walkies, find something for dinner and the list goes on..................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 14:23   #649
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Nicely put Alan - the big difference between us and Cuthbert with his Cowshed Confetti Tinted Testacles is we can see all that. He, somehow, refuses to see that and thinks he'll still make money.

Errr, that should have read "Cowshed Confetti Tinted Spectacles" - got carried away with my alliteration but reading it back, decided to leave it as it was!

If i had a lottery win, i might buy a 262C just to have one to occasionally drive and yes, it would be garaged in a purpose-built climate controlled garage but i wouldn't pay £23k for the car!

The 262C would be on the same list as a Panther Rio Especial, an Avon Triumph Acclaim Turbo and a few other "unicorn" cars.

Meanwhile i've just changed the tube in a 4" split-rim alloy wheel, need to repair the old one now. Not punctured in the true sense but a manufacturing defect on the seam usd to close the tube.
Then find out which of the exhaust rubbers have broken/come adrift on my back box and refit/fit new ones/fit a bodge if i haven't any spares then make a start on Lukes speedo, take Sasha walkies, find something for dinner and the list goes on..................
Many thanks for that Dave,
I've taken a bizarre fancy to that PV544 in the eBay link above (here it is again: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...UAAOSwT9dgCvED). I have never even seen a PV544 up close... but would I be certifiably insane to pay £11,000 (or thereabouts) for a car older than I am on a whim?

I probably know the answer to that one, but I'm thinking of doing it anyway :-)

PS. Insurance would only be £60.06 PA!
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 15:33   #650
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
This is an interesting one: a rust bucket that probably should become a source of spares, but it is a 1983 car, so I'm wondering whether someone may take a chance on it as it's close to becoming MoT and tax exempt?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174740991...cAAOSw1ChggDOV

To its credit, the car does have a MoT certificate (4 month's worth), but the last test shows lots of corrosion problems that will need fixing before the next:

body work starting to corrode in places
Nearside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive outer sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive outer sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner wing (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner wing (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive floor pan (7.1.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive floor pan (7.1.1 (a) (i))

... so, the car is as rough as a badgers arse and will need serious surgery this year, but what is its value? So far no bids at the opening price (£750) - watch this space :-)
An update: the rust bucket from Haslemere made £820 at auction. I thought that was about right for a pretty rough car, it would make an excellent source of spares if one had something similar though (with the advantage over many that it has a bit of MoT left and so could be driven away).