Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803633

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2021, 13:34   #661
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That car suddenly disappeared from eBay Dave; I rather suspect someone came to inspect, bought a fistful of dollars with them and an price agreeable to both parties was found.

Perhaps we will see it on these pages (I rather hope so - it looked like a nice car under all that bling).
Very strange Alan, i suspect you could well be right and someone waved folding under the sellers nose and it mysteriously become unavailable on ebay. A bit odd that it didn't sell for quite some time then disappeared faster than a rabbit at a magicians convention.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2021, 13:40   #662
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very strange Alan, i suspect you could well be right and someone waved folding under the sellers nose and it mysteriously become unavailable on ebay. A bit odd that it didn't sell for quite some time then disappeared faster than a rabbit at a magicians convention.
... I happened to have to read the eBay rules on withdrawing at item from auction once bidding has started - the seller will still be charged the fee based on the highest bid received at the time it was ended. I'm not sure how eBay imposes that fee - just sends an invoice I suppose, but if the seller just abandons his/her account it is hard to see how it would be enforced.

:-)
Old May 2nd, 2021, 14:55   #663
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I happened to have to read the eBay rules on withdrawing at item from auction once bidding has started - the seller will still be charged the fee based on the highest bid received at the time it was ended. I'm not sure how eBay imposes that fee - just sends an invoice I suppose, but if the seller just abandons his/her account it is hard to see how it would be enforced.

:-)
Yes but unless it's been changed in recent years, if the item was lost or broken during the auction duration, no fee is charged. If it is simply sold elsewhere then as you say, there is a fee on the highest bid so far.

Usually ebay sends the invoice and your Paypal account is set up so ebay can automatically claim payment for fees accrued. Ebay then debits your PP account at a prearranged time for the invoice value.

If it's not paid, reminders are sent out via email and then presumably they shut/restrict the account and ultimately resort to either Small Claims Court, write the debt off and ban the seller from ebay or similar.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 2nd, 2021, 23:30   #664
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
An update: the silver car received no bids at the opening price of £2,500 (which somewhat surprised me, I thought it was worth that much).

The blue car is storming away with the auction at £3,500 already.

... that rather proves me wrong!
The silver car is having another go?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49286

... still no bids at the 2 grand starting price. I suppose this one is a bit rough around the edges: some rust on the wheel arches and the rear console is badly broken (a bit difficult to replace). Let’s see if it sells this time :-)
Old May 2nd, 2021, 23:58   #665
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

While generally trawling the bay to see what was on there, i spotted this Alan and thought about that £11k burning a PV544 shaped hole in your pocket. This is slightly newer and overall looks in nicer condition and they'll even deliver it to you :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164840511946

Four speed + overdrive box (M41 if memory serves) and i can't remember if you could use OD on 3rd as well as 4th, if so that would give 6 forward speeds, if not then it's still 5 forward speeds. All powered by a B18B twin carb engine which i think was about 110-115bhp (dredging the memory cell now, might be adrift on that) and probably retro-cool enough for your lad without be a John Virgo waistcoat! (aka a "No dad!")

Handlebars on the correct side which is a bonus too!

Old May 3rd, 2021, 07:18   #666
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
While generally trawling the bay to see what was on there, i spotted this Alan and thought about that £11k burning a PV544 shaped hole in your pocket. This is slightly newer and overall looks in nicer condition and they'll even deliver it to you :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164840511946

Four speed + overdrive box (M41 if memory serves) and i can't remember if you could use OD on 3rd as well as 4th, if so that would give 6 forward speeds, if not then it's still 5 forward speeds. All powered by a B18B twin carb engine which i think was about 110-115bhp (dredging the memory cell now, might be adrift on that) and probably retro-cool enough for your lad without be a John Virgo waistcoat! (aka a "No dad!")

Handlebars on the correct side which is a bonus too!
What a nice car Dave - it is such a pity about the glass sunroof - the 1980s were a strange time fashion wise :-)

PS. Perhaps I was being a bit hasty about that PV544 whim - I did like the look of the car, but I've never even seen one up close, never mind driven one. The chaps in the PV section of the forum were incredibly helpful, and I'm still thinking about a 544, but I should do some research first.

PPS. I think an Amazon would receive an equally unfavourable reception from Dan - he wants me to buy a McLaren 570.

Last edited by Othen; May 3rd, 2021 at 07:28.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:10   #667
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The silver car is having another go?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49286

... still no bids at the 2 grand starting price. I suppose this one is a bit rough around the edges: some rust on the wheel arches and the rear console is badly broken (a bit difficult to replace). Let’s see if it sells this time :-)
This car slightly reminds me of the RB - in that it will be an historic car in 2 year's time. It is also a runner and rider, but with a few issues that need sorting. The big problem would be that rust around the wheel arches and the bottom of the wings - if it has taken hold inside then the car isn't really worth anything. That would only take 5 minutes to assess though.

I'll watch this one - 2 grand is probably still a bit high for this car, if it was a few years older it would be a £1,000 motor like the one from Bude. The seller is probably hoping that being almost an historic vehicle will be worth a premium.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:21   #668
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

PPS. I think an Amazon would receive an equally unfavourable reception from Dan - he wants me to buy a McLaren 570.
Rent one for the day, take Dan out in it and scare the pants off him then buy a used Lotus Exige and save yourself the cost of a house!

If you squint they look the same and the Lotus is nearly as quick.................

As for aftermarket glass sunroofs, they served a purpose in the 80s and 90s but i prefer the steel panel sunroofs although the Webasto full length vinyl sunroof was nice too. Whichever you have the tilt option is nice for extra through-flow ventilation and is the most used function on both my beasts although that may change once i've sorted the A/C on them.

On the Amazon i'd be inclined to keep it and preserve it as a period accessory but it seems like you won't be buying the Amazon any time soon either!

Old May 3rd, 2021, 15:32   #669
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm guessing the nasty brown car didn't sell on Car and Classic and is being hawked on eBay again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barn-Find....c101198.m1985

Still 3 grand for a £1,000 car - it must have been on sale for 6 months so far :-)

PS. It has indeed been 5 months since the nasty brown car was first spotted in this thread (17 December, but perhaps it had been for sale for some time before that):

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=161

... the seller has reduced the price from £3,500 in that time. One has to admire the seller's persistence (but not his/her common sense).
... the nasty brown car's price is at last dropping... but only to £2,750. It is still a £1,000 car though :-)

So the asking price has dropped £750 in 5 months, or £150/month... still £1750 to go until it reaches its value, so we should see a sale in May or June 2022 :-)
Old May 4th, 2021, 16:32   #670
Rocinante
Master Member

£13,000, "1961 Low mileage Volvo Amazon 122S" 52,158 miles on it, anyone ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...at_cars&page=1
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post: