Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 834884

Replies : 6328

Users Viewing This Thread : ITSv40, Steve 940

Old Jun 20th, 2021, 13:32   #731
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Please advise me. Is that why the listing says:

“genuine barn find”

PLEASE NOT THIS IS A BARN FIND BUT VERY VERY STRIAGHT CAR

Stephen

Reading the rest of what the seller has "tepyd" it's obviously a typo or mis-spelling and should read "Please note".

Quote:
Dave.

At five I had not even heard of the alphabet! OK so yes it shows!

But I had received teaching of reading at the kitchen table of a teacher wot lived next door and very quickly lapped it up. Kushtie.

Why mock ye the seller?

If my language woz less off the wall I might try volunteer to help people learn to read. and if my health improved ...

Stephen

I was reading The Telegraph at the age of 4 - granted i didn't understand 99% of what the content was about but that isn't the point, i was capable of reading it.

I wasn't mocking the seller, just pointing out that most 5 year olds these days are actually proficent typists/computer users (although generally on tablets and phones rather than "real" computers) because they've been brought up with it as second nature.

However, it's highly likely that the seller has dyslexia or some similar problem which i would never mock. Once upon a time and scarily up until very recently, dyslexia wasn't accepted as a genuine condition and (for want of a better word) sufferers were generally viewed as lazy, stupid, trouble-makers, disruptive and various other negative connotations that could be applied to a problem nobody wanted to recognise and even fewer knew how to go about fixing.

I'm no expert on dyslexia but have known many people through my life that have it and my ex-wife had it too so i've become fairly adept at spotting the common signs. I could still be wrong and the seller just didn't finish school and/or had a poor attendance record and didn't learn anything much but IMHO that's the most likely cause of the poor advert. That said most people with dyslexia generally find someone else to write the ads for them to avoid confusion.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 14:11   #732
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

That's the one Alan, i got the price a bit wrong and it's a GL not a GLE (it was the wheels made me think it was a GLE) but familiar nonetheless. It's on Pg 145 of this months (July issue) Practical Classics which should be on magazine shelves of your chosen emporium at the moment.

They presumably think people who buy cars from magazines don't use fora or ebay.........
Ah yes, you are absolutely right Dave, that is the nasty brown car.

I don't think I've ever read Practical Classics (but I may buy my first copy this month out of curiosity - I'll see if perhaps it is available on Kindle as I'm not very mobile at the mo).

It would seem odd (to me, that being no authority on the matter whatsoever) that anyone interested in buying a classic car would not do some research via a forum (such as this excellent one) and eBay to gauge the market rather than just buy any old overpriced crap in a glossy. I have a feeling that £3250 was an even higher price than the vendor was asking via eBay. I do so hope no one falls for it this time.

:-)
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 14:19   #733
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Please advise me.
Simply typos type stuff, but any reader already knew that ...

Stephen

Okay clever man, see if you can find the errors in this passage (sic):

WILL NEED SOME WORK IN PLACES ...
IT STARTS BUT IT DOES MISS AS OLD PETROL AND
AS A BLOW ON THE DOWN PIPE CAUSEING AIR INTAKE

PLEASE NOT THIS IS A BARN FIND BUT VERY VERY STRIAGHT CAR

HAS FULL SERVICE HISTORY UPTO 109OOO
1 OWNER FROM NEW
114000 ON THE CLOCK
STACK PAPERWOOK WITH IT AND BOOT FULL OF SPARES
THIS IS ONLY A VERY VERY LIGHT WORK INVOLVED TO BE PUT BACK ON RAOD
EVERY THING WORKSAS IT SHOULD
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 14:30   #734
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I don't think I've ever read Practical Classics (but I may buy my first copy this month out of curiosity - I'll see if perhaps it is available on Kindle as I'm not very mobile at the mo).

It would seem odd (to me, that being no authority on the matter whatsoever) that anyone interested in buying a classic car would not do some research via a forum (such as this excellent one) and eBay to gauge the market rather than just buy any old overpriced crap in a glossy. I have a feeling that £3250 was an even higher price than the vendor was asking via eBay. I do so hope no one falls for it this time.

The nasty brown car does indeed have a bit of history in this thread Dave:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=669

It looks like the price has variously been between £3,500 and £2,750, the seller has tried eBay (many times) as well as Car & Classic. One would have thought he/she would have got the idea by now that one can't polish a turd.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 14:48   #735
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Reading the rest of what the seller has "tepyd" it's obviously a typo or mis-spelling and should read "Please note".

Quite so.

Quote:

I was reading The Telegraph at the age of 4 - granted i didn't understand 99% of what the content was about but that isn't the point, i was capable of reading it..
Well done ...

For myself I am glad that as I grew older I thought about things and wrote a letter of thanks to the teacher neighbour. Before her horrible tragic death.

Rest her soul.

Me says you woz at least disparaging re that seller.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 14:53   #736
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Okay clever man
Thank you.

Quote:
I agree with Dave. It's obviously a typo or mis-spelling.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 15:21   #737
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

You can get PC in digital editions Alan, (think you may have to subscribe though), i'm still on "real" magazines as i don't want to leave a device in the "library" to read them on.

I agree, a novice to the classic car world would join a forum and do other online research and not just buy blind. I think the £3250 is overpriced too and maybe when i said £2850 it was my subconscious self suggesting what the seller expects to get when a bunch of fivers are waved under his snout.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 18:06   #738
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You can get PC in digital editions Alan, (think you may have to subscribe though), i'm still on "real" magazines as i don't want to leave a device in the "library" to read them on.

I agree, a novice to the classic car world would join a forum and do other online research and not just buy blind. I think the £3250 is overpriced too and maybe when i said £2850 it was my subconscious self suggesting what the seller expects to get when a bunch of fivers are waved under his snout.
... I was more thinking the car was worth £850 Dave - more seriously: £1850 would seem about right. If my memory serves me rightly that car has been for sale since November.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 19:20   #739
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I was more thinking the car was worth £850 Dave - more seriously: £1850 would seem about right. If my memory serves me rightly that car has been for sale since November.
Think you're right with the £850 valuation Alan, also about November but that might just have been when you first noticed it. In which case, Novemeber might still be right but which November?

Sadly unless you cross reference a lot of ebay sold listings or finished listings, we won't ever know and even then, i think there's a time limit on finding old listings.

Old Jun 20th, 2021, 20:55   #740
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Think you're right with the £850 valuation Alan, also about November but that might just have been when you first noticed it. In which case, Novemeber might still be right but which November?

Sadly unless you cross reference a lot of ebay sold listings or finished listings, we won't ever know and even then, i think there's a time limit on finding old listings.
We see these very long term advertising campaigns - over months and even years - quite frequently Dave. I suppose there is always a chance of finding a punter at an absurd price, but with something like a Volvo 244 the pool of punters will be pretty small. It seems (to me) that the group of people looking for a 40ish year old 244DL in poor condition and in need of renovation may be measured in tens across the nation at any time. It is hard for me to imagine those few tens of people will not have all done their homework and have noticed the nasty brown car for sale at all sorts of prices and probably discounted it.

I’m just curious about prices and values, I think the brown car is rubbish and would not consider it.

Alan