Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821733

Replies : 6257

Users Viewing This Thread : ITSv40

Old Jun 21st, 2021, 15:55   #751
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Have Bentley sorted out the paint problems yet?

Apart from the handful of minor issues identified by Luke there doesn't seem to be any reason NOT to buy one.

As used to be said of Jaguars, most people bought a second example so they had a chance of being able to use one of them!
They aren't minor issues when you account for the cost of the parts. Also the entire build quality of the cars is simply woeful for the price and especially when compared to a Volvo from the 90's. The "wood trim" is nothing but a veneer on some plywood. When you take one apart you realise just how shoddily they have been thrown together and every seems to be an after thought.

I wouldn't touch any Bentley with a barge pole and everyone I worked with completely agreed with my thoughts. The favourite workshop quote we used to say which was one of my creations was "Bentley, the piles of sh1t that just keep on giving". Even the ex Rolls Royce master technician who was the only long term mechanic took over a day to change the spark plugs on a Bentayga the first time he did them.

Last edited by 360beast; Jun 21st, 2021 at 16:00.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 16:06   #752
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Even the ex Rolls Royce master technician who was the only long term mechanic took over a day to change the spark plugs on a Bentayga the first time he did them.
Try a plug change on a V10 Touraeg then! Engine out job!

Not by the usual route, needs a special hoist to lift the body off the engine!

Funniest thing about Bentley (i think) is the person at Rolls-Royce Holdings who negotiated the sale of Rolls-Royce and Bentley to BMW and VAG respectively.

Can't remember the exact scenario but it was along the lines of neither could use the engines, something else about copyright problems due to shared parts so few if any body parts could be used so that didn't leave much for either except the names! Got a tidy sum for each as well and both VAG and BMW were so eager to sign they didn't notice the small print.........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jun 21st, 2021 at 16:07. Reason: Typos
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 16:21   #753
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Try a plug change on a V10 Touraeg then! Engine out job!

Not by the usual route, needs a special hoist to lift the body off the engine!

Funniest thing about Bentley (i think) is the person at Rolls-Royce Holdings who negotiated the sale of Rolls-Royce and Bentley to BMW and VAG respectively.

Can't remember the exact scenario but it was along the lines of neither could use the engines, something else about copyright problems due to shared parts so few if any body parts could be used so that didn't leave much for either except the names! Got a tidy sum for each as well and both VAG and BMW were so eager to sign they didn't notice the small print.........
Just another reason why I wouldn't ever own anything from the VAG stable.

I think I've heard that before! Ridiculous isn't it really.

Even the original continental from the early 90s was a pile of junk, we had several in for rocker cover gaskets and the Azure (convertible) as well. They used the 6.75L V8 turbo engine, it was a days work to do the rocker cover gaskets because of how much stuff is crammed on the engine you couldn't get to them. I believe it is the same engine from the 60s just they kept piling more and more on top of it so by the time you got to the 90s there was absolutely no room left in the engine bay.

We would have an SZ car in nearly every week for a steering rack change too.

Only once did we change the rear subframe bushes on a Turbo R, the owner of the garage told us we would never do them again because removing the bushes broke every single bush puller we had so me and another mechanic spent nearly a day heating the metal sleeves up with the oxyacetalene torch with a drift and a lump hammer beating them out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 17:35   #754
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Just another reason why I wouldn't ever own anything from the VAG stable.

I think I've heard that before! Ridiculous isn't it really.

Even the original continental from the early 90s was a pile of junk, we had several in for rocker cover gaskets and the Azure (convertible) as well. They used the 6.75L V8 turbo engine, it was a days work to do the rocker cover gaskets because of how much stuff is crammed on the engine you couldn't get to them. I believe it is the same engine from the 60s just they kept piling more and more on top of it so by the time you got to the 90s there was absolutely no room left in the engine bay.

We would have an SZ car in nearly every week for a steering rack change too.

Only once did we change the rear subframe bushes on a Turbo R, the owner of the garage told us we would never do them again because removing the bushes broke every single bush puller we had so me and another mechanic spent nearly a day heating the metal sleeves up with the oxyacetalene torch with a drift and a lump hammer beating them out.
... best stick to my nice, simple Porsche - turn the key it starts :-)

The only real issues I've had with the Porsche have been envy damage: a nail deliberately pushed into the sidewall of a tyre about a year ago, and a couple of weeks ago these three little jabs at the rear light cluster:

... none would result in a MoT test failure as there is no white light showing, but there are three cracks inside so I've decided to change it. New Porsche prices are steep (£170+VAT each side) but I managed to get an as new pair for £200 delivered and can sell the right one on easily for £100.

I hardly ever leave the Boxster parked on a public road, and it is always garaged at night, but I'm afraid envy damage is something one has to live with...

:-(

Last edited by Othen; Jun 21st, 2021 at 17:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 18:21   #755
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Well, that created a bit of a furore, Alan! I can understand why you might lust after a Continental GT; I think they look drop-dead gorgeous too, but it would appear that their beauty is only skin-deep.

I hadn't realised that they were held in quite such high disregard, but having read the faults listed by '360beast', I can begin to understand why. Perhaps I should not be that surprised, having worked on the build lines of a number of different manufacturers. Since Ford's Model 'T', cars have primarily been designed for ease of assembly, rather than that of maintenance or repair.

With advancing technology, the increasing complexity of motor vehicles serves only to exacerbate the problem. The CGT would appear to have elevated this trend to a whole new level. They may look gorgeous, but it would appear that they are also a sure-fire way of losing money - fast!

If I had a Bentley itch to scratch, I would look not for a CGT, but for an immediate pre or post-war car. They were (relatively) simple cars writ large.
Given your skill-set and facilities, I feel sure that you would have little difficulty in maintaining one - something that may prove more difficult with a CGT.

Bentleys of that era and earlier were seriously over-engineered cars; as Ettore Bugatti once said of W. O. Bentley: "Mr. Bentley - He builds fast trucks."! This means that not only have many survived, but those that have, have often done so in good, usable condition. It is also unlikely that you would loose money in the long term, neither would one embarrass you on the roads of today.

That would be my choice, but obviously you could feel differently. Either way, if one has the means and is not hurting anyone else by indulging a whim, I would say 'go for it'. Experience has taught me that life really is much too short for 'what ifs' and the like.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 18:32   #756
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sorry to hear about your Porsche Alan, why on earth people have to damage others property out of jealousy is beyond me! At least you have saved yourself some money getting used lights.

Here is a link for you to read Mr Wigley, quite the eye opener, I was sure I had read something about the GT being the most unreliable used car and a quick Google brought up many results.

https://www.wheelswithinwales.uk/bes...d-cars-to-buy/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 19:27   #757
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your Porsche Alan, why on earth people have to damage others property out of jealousy is beyond me! At least you have saved yourself some money getting used lights.
Fortunately there is something of a market in as-new secondhand 981 rear lights - this happens because the later LED lights from the GTS are an exact fit, so affluent 981 owners with £700 burning a hole in their pockets fit them (they do look smart) and then sell on the often almost unused OEM Porsche clusters.

I may get £50 back for the damaged (but still roadworthy) one when I swap it out.

Alan
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 19:30   #758
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Well, that created a bit of a furore, Alan! I can understand why you might lust after a Continental GT; I think they look drop-dead gorgeous too, but it would appear that their beauty is only skin-deep.

I hadn't realised that they were held in quite such high disregard, but having read the faults listed by '360beast', I can begin to understand why. Perhaps I should not be that surprised, having worked on the build lines of a number of different manufacturers. Since Ford's Model 'T', cars have primarily been designed for ease of assembly, rather than that of maintenance or repair.

With advancing technology, the increasing complexity of motor vehicles serves only to exacerbate the problem. The CGT would appear to have elevated this trend to a whole new level. They may look gorgeous, but it would appear that they are also a sure-fire way of losing money - fast!

If I had a Bentley itch to scratch, I would look not for a CGT, but for an immediate pre or post-war car. They were (relatively) simple cars writ large.
Given your skill-set and facilities, I feel sure that you would have little difficulty in maintaining one - something that may prove more difficult with a CGT.

Bentleys of that era and earlier were seriously over-engineered cars; as Ettore Bugatti once said of W. O. Bentley: "Mr. Bentley - He builds fast trucks."! This means that not only have many survived, but those that have, have often done so in good, usable condition. It is also unlikely that you would loose money in the long term, neither would one embarrass you on the roads of today.

That would be my choice, but obviously you could feel differently. Either way, if one has the means and is not hurting anyone else by indulging a whim, I would say 'go for it'. Experience has taught me that life really is much too short for 'what ifs' and the like.

Regards, John.
I think we all enjoyed that little tangent regarding the Bentley Continental GT John, that is one of the benefits of our marvellous forum.

I’ve certainly learned a great deal (thank you Luke) today - and rather enjoyed the banter at the same time.

:-)
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 20:04   #759
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think we all enjoyed that little tangent regarding the Bentley Continental GT John, that is one of the benefits of our marvellous forum.

I’ve certainly learned a great deal (thank you Luke) today - and rather enjoyed the banter at the same time.

:-)
Now you know why i said to ask Luke about Bentleys Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Bentleys of that era and earlier were seriously over-engineered cars; as Ettore Bugatti once said of W. O. Bentley: "Mr. Bentley - He builds fast trucks."!

Regards, John.
Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Bugatti also owned by VAG these days?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 22:45   #760
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Now you know why i said to ask Luke about Bentleys Alan!

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Bugatti also owned by VAG these days?

They are indeed, 'L.S.', a fact that had escaped my memory. Isn't it just a perfect irony, though?

Regards, John.