Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Besides a Volvo

Views : 4470

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:08   #41
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I had a 2.0 GL Capri in my early 20s. I thought it was so cool - silver with a red velour interior. Not so cool was the autobox lol. Sadly I wrote it off on some ice - I was doing about 5mph down a spiralling sliproad - the Capri picked up a bit of speed, it bumped over the kerb as the snow/ice had built up and there was no 'edge' anymore, and then it hit a lamppost. Turns out it was rotten as a bad egg, the damn thing nearly snapped in two!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20201019 (3).jpg (205.2 KB, 13 views)
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 17:42   #42
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I had a 2.0 GL Capri in my early 20s. I thought it was so cool - silver with a red velour interior. Not so cool was the autobox lol. Sadly I wrote it off on some ice - I was doing about 5mph down a spiralling sliproad - the Capri picked up a bit of speed, it bumped over the kerb as the snow/ice had built up and there was no 'edge' anymore, and then it hit a lamppost. Turns out it was rotten as a bad egg, the damn thing nearly snapped in two!
They were and still are cool. I mean, just look...

...I still watch the repeats of 'The Professionals' just to see the wheel nuts being driven off one.

Fantastic piece of motoring history.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 17:58   #43
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Wasn't that the Capri that had a JPS Special ?
Yeah, I think you're right, the Capri was the main sponsored car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
i think a similar black TR7 was around the same time with gold pinstripes, could be something that lead to confusion?
When you wrote that I began to think I should eat more oily fish, it's good for my memory....but then I found a few images on t'interweb of said vehicle...

...but I think you are correct as they are referred to as the 'Premium Heritage', although if you search for JPS TR7 you are taken to the above vehicle.

If it wasn't a JPS sponsored livery, it was clearly a blatant copy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 18:02   #44
Andrew164

Apart from a 1973 Volvo 164, 1992 940 Diesel estate and 2015 S80 I have a 1980 triumph TR8 and 2003 MG ZR. The quality difference between Volvo's and British cars is immense.
Andrew164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew164 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 18:14   #45
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew164 View Post
Apart from a 1973 Volvo 164, 1992 940 Diesel estate and 2015 S80 I have a 1980 triumph TR8 and 2003 MG ZR. The quality difference between Volvo's and British cars is immense.
Oh you guys with your fleets of old cars....I wish my 16x8 garage was bigger. Very jealous.

TR8 is a TR7 with a V8. Is that right?

're the quality - imagine if your fleet was too reliable. What tinkering would you do?

...and the MG ZR is one to covet. It will be a future classic of value I reckon.
Is it standard?
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:19   #46
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post

Ah a Spitfire. I have never driven a Spitfire.
I've seen many descriptions of the handling...how would you describe it?

Surely you can dig out a picture?
Blooming brilliant handling, just like a go kart.
Not got many pictures of it intact as I was somewhat conned when I originally bought it. Had to teach myself to weld in order to replace the floors and sills! Sold it in 2013 as wife was struggling to get in it with preggers tummy, looks like it’s hardly been used since and is out of mot from 2014.

Here’s a picture that was taken at our wedding back in 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03D18DE3-4254-4ACA-859B-5F47AB5049B7.jpeg (108.4 KB, 13 views)
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:54   #47
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Blooming brilliant handling, just like a go kart.
Not got many pictures of it intact as I was somewhat conned when I originally bought it. Had to teach myself to weld in order to replace the floors and sills! Sold it in 2013 as wife was struggling to get in it with preggers tummy, looks like it’s hardly been used since and is out of mot from 2014.

Here’s a picture that was taken at our wedding back in 2007.
Good colour.

Welding...been welding since I was 16yrs old and fed up of it now so I took on the Smart Roadster because of it's galvanised chassis and plastic panels.

I always think the side view of a Spitfire epitomizes the British sports car.

Would you ever consider another one ?
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:57   #48
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Would you ever consider another one ?
Without a doubt! As long as can offload the kids 😂
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 21:33   #49
andy_d
Premier Member

yes the TR8 is a TR7 with a V8 (3.5l) in,
change the sub frame ,engine,exhausts, upgrade the front brakes + suspension and GRIN all the way between petrol stations

yeps the tr7 was Fun to drive
your butts Close to the road, close to the rear axel so you can Feel whats going on, it handled "ok" for a car of its age , better when you replace suspension bushes /steering bushes and shocks /springs

yes if i Could id have another one,
id need
the £
a new mig welder
a garage i Could fit the car in, pref with a 4post lift to make the welding easier,
and a gearbox jack,, last time i had the box out of mine for a sticky clutch my dad had a heart attack lending me a hand,,

as tempting as the Tr8 is ,esp in convertible format , and as nice as the Big roll back sunroof was id have the FHC w/o sunroof, And a brand new petrol cap seal, draining the tank/fuel filter due to water in the fuel, isnt the most fun thing to do on a sat morning before you go for a drive **add to why id need a garage it would fit in above ..

i also had a couple of capri's back in the day, 2.8 and a 2.0 , both tail happy in the damp and "add 3 bags of sand" in the winter ,, parked the 2.0 in a ditch sideways @ sub 4mph on ice/snow one year, couldnt See the car in the ditch when i came round and climbed out,, a very nice chap with a lwb landy + tow rope ,lead foot on the go pedal and the car escaped the ditch,it needed
a new front mud flap
scratches polishing out of the door mirror case and a couple on the rear quarter
so sold it a couple of years later and went for the "sensible" 2.8

doubt id have another capri, but £/space allowing "yes" on the TR7 / TR8 fhc

(saying nothing about the boot/chainsaw and what you could fit )

Last edited by andy_d; Nov 13th, 2020 at 21:35.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 21:54   #50
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
both tail happy in the damp and "add 3 bags of sand" in the winter ,, parked the 2.0 in a ditch sideways @ sub 4mph on ice/snow one year, couldnt See the car in the ditch when i came round and climbed out,, a very nice chap with a lwb landy + tow rope ,lead foot on the go pedal and the car escaped the ditch,
...and I'd bet all that taught you to drive. No electrickery saving your backside or stopping you from powering out of a problem.

I had a Vauxhall Chevette as a teenager which spent many a snowy winter evening being Pentti Airikkala'd around back lanes in Nottinghamshire. Picked up some bodywork battle scars, broke some suspension, cleared the hedge bottom of stoats but more importantly learnt to drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: