Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Views : 68386

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2014, 19:37   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

I followed the procedure as listed by Martin. Started the car up and went through every position in the box, holding it for at least 2 seconds. I then removed the level plug and a small amount of fluid dropped out. I have to say that that fluid did feel luke warm. I had my phone on the Torque app to measure the temp but as the transmission temp rises along with the coolant temp, I wasn't to trusting of it. I let it run for a couple of minutes and no further fluid dropped out. So I replaced the level plug and switched the engine off.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 23:50   #12
nickbw898

Mine has had stop neutral on it up to 138000 miles. I just had it removed and the adaptions driven. I reset the fluid counter and service interval parameters before it went to Squire Automotive Ltd in Burntwood Staffs. I have done four flushes using at least 15 litres JWS 3309 each time and reset the fluid counter. I also fitted an auxilary cooler in front of the condenser. My gearbox serial number is within the quoted series that can develop B4 servo problems but I have left well alone as the box changes barely perceptibly since I did the fluid change. You cannot successfully judge the fluid temp of the g/b using coolant temp. I have Torque Pro and Vida/Dice and have proved it.
The filled for life is bull****. These are in loads of different marques and all give trouble if the fluid is not changed. Those who want to keep their Volvos long term change it every 30 - 60K miles.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 10:27   #13
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes, I fully understand the Torque was never going to be the ideal option for measuring the ATF temperature, but it may have been able to at least help identify when the ATF is between 50 and 60 degrees C, rather than just guess work.

As it is, I repeated the process on Friday after taking the car for a drive to help mix the ATF. When I came to do the leveling procedure and removed the sump plug, a good amount of fluid dropped out before I realised something was not right and put the plug back in. The temperature must have hit 60C and opened a valve as nearly 2L of extra ATF came out. I would strongly advise that any owner performing this task lets the car completely cool down before you start the leveling procedure, otherwise the residual heat soak from the engine and gearbox means you will reach 60C very quickly. As it was late Friday afternoon/evening when I was doing this, I left it overnight and did the leveling on Saturday morning.

Also the part number for the crush washer on the Level Indicator Pipe is 30713220. The initial washer given to me by my dealer was wrong and they had to search for this number through a repair procedure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:51   #14
DSB Cheshire

I know this is an oldish thread...but on the 6speed geartronic don't you need to reset the oil counter after ATF change? then reset adaptation?
I am pretty sure this is recommended on the 5speed but not sure about the 6....
The Following User Says Thank You to DSB Cheshire For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 16:49   #15
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB Cheshire View Post
I know this is an oldish thread...but on the 6speed geartronic don't you need to reset the oil counter after ATF change? then reset adaptation?
I am pretty sure this is recommended on the 5speed but not sure about the 6....
VIDA states it should be done with the 6 speed too

(IAM member since 1986)
Cantankerous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 16:58   #16
tt82
Forum Support Team

Never did it, not had any issues!

The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 17:57   #17
DSB Cheshire

okay thanks, I thought so...the process defined on the forum by forum members (6sp) does not show this yet they don't seem to have any issues post ATF change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous One View Post
VIDA states it should be done with the 6 speed too

Last edited by DSB Cheshire; Feb 17th, 2015 at 18:01.
DSB Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 20:52   #18
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

This information from VIDA may help understand why the fluid change counter needs resetting when changing the AT fluid. It also explains about resetting the adaptation.

Resetting the adaptation and the counter for "Transmission oil, replace"

The transmission has torque-regulated, adaptive pressure regulation. The pressure regulator enables the transmission to regulate pressure during each shift to prevent hard shifting. Each shift is assessed by the transmission control module (TCM) and is stored in the internal memory. This makes it possible to compensate for transmission and clutch wear. It is important that the adaptation in the memory is reset so that the transmission works normally after the repair. Because the fluid was changed during the repair, the counter for transmission fluid change must also be reset. If the counter is not reset during draining/replacement, a diagnostic trouble code may be generated under the wrong conditions.
Note! This applies only if the transmission or one of the components in the transmission have been replaced.

Resetting the “Transmission fluid change” counter
The transmission control module (TCM) has a counter for fluid quality that counts the number of times the transmission is subjected to too hard a load or too high an ambient temperature. If the counter is not reset during draining/replacement, there is a risk that a diagnostic trouble code will be set under the wrong conditions. Thus, it is important that the counter for transmission fluid change be reset.
Note! This only applies when the transmission oil is changed and when the oil is changed during repairs to the transmission's temperature sensor.

(IAM member since 1986)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cantankerous One For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 15:17   #19
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Yes, I fully understand the Torque was never going to be the ideal option for measuring the ATF temperature, but it may have been able to at least help identify when the ATF is between 50 and 60 degrees C, rather than just guess work.

What IS the best way to measure ATF temperature? Can VIDA/DICE do it?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 16:06   #20
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Yes VIDA/DICE can show the ATF temperature.

(IAM member since 1986)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantankerous One For This Useful Post: