Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Estate

Views : 2588

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 11:28   #11
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
There is one on auto trader for £995.
There has been a couple of nice ones end on ebay of late for around £1700. Currently on ebay a nice looking straight estate starting at £500.
Nothing ever pops up locally for sale. I travelled well over 400 miles and many hours to buy mine.
Yes watching the one on eBay, that looks good, it sold but got relisted for some reason. I can’t see the £995 on auto Trader, do you mean the £990, but that’s not turbo I don’t think, 2.3 turbo is my only must have. It’s a shame because the £990 one looks lovely.

I am prepared to travel if I’m fairly sure it’s ok.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 17:31   #12
psl
Master Member

I've just updated the auto trader site and it must of sold.
Id go for the red one starting on ebay for £500 to be honest, it looks nice and solid plus its in a nice colour too
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:44   #13
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
I've just updated the auto trader site and it must of sold.
Id go for the red one starting on ebay for £500 to be honest, it looks nice and solid plus its in a nice colour too
Yes I will be following and bidding on that one, just curious to why it got relisted.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:57   #14
psl
Master Member

One has popped up in Croydon, a 2.3 estate for £650 on gumtree
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 12:09   #15
dan 244
Master Member

Yes I have seen that, I am interested, a little higher mileage than I possibly want.

I have left a message for the red Devon one and hopefully they will get back to me shortly as I really like the look of that one. Anyone know anything about this one as I think it sold on eBay last week and is now relisted.

Also contacted the guy about the turquoise one on auto Trader as that was on last night at £995 again it goes up and down in price that one and has been off and on for 3 or 4 months. It initially came on at 1495 then went up to 1795 and 2495 a few months ago, yesterday it was 2495, last night it was 995 and I thought yes I will have that, so contacted him today, he made some excuse about his daughter and now it’s on for 2995!
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 15:37   #16
novomobile

dan244...just walk away from that one, cars are like no.10 buses,...there s always another one due soon!!
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 16:09   #17
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novomobile View Post
dan244...just walk away from that one, cars are like no.10 buses,...there s always another one due soon!!
Do you mean just in general, or do you know something about one of the ones above? I’m most interested in the red one.

Thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 16:26   #18
940 owner

Smile Volvo 940 estate 2.3 ltr turbo on ebay 1 day to go

2129 pages views, 122 watchers, Im looking forward to the end of the auction, could be exciting - dont miss out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113063948476
940 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 16:34   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Yes I have seen that, I am interested, a little higher mileage than I possibly want.

I have left a message for the red Devon one and hopefully they will get back to me shortly as I really like the look of that one. Anyone know anything about this one as I think it sold on eBay last week and is now relisted.

Also contacted the guy about the turquoise one on auto Trader as that was on last night at £995 again it goes up and down in price that one and has been off and on for 3 or 4 months. It initially came on at 1495 then went up to 1795 and 2495 a few months ago, yesterday it was 2495, last night it was 995 and I thought yes I will have that, so contacted him today, he made some excuse about his daughter and now it’s on for 2995!
Quote:
Originally Posted by novomobile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Do you mean just in general, or do you know something about one of the ones above? I’m most interested in the red one.

Thanks
Having just read this little exchange, the first thing i'd say is avoid that trader at all cost!

My advice would be get yourself down the cattle market on whatever night they hold the car auctions (i assume they still hold car auctions in the cattle market in Norwich?) and spend 2/3 of your budget buying a nice, 2.3 turbo 945 that looks and sounds good, has a reasonable MoT and no rot or anything obviously in need of imminent work.

With the rest of your budget, buy yourself a timing belt, oil and filter, new plugs, air, fuel and cabin filters, HT leads, dizzy cap/rotor arm and 5l of ethylene glycol coolant. Maybe even go mad and buy a new thermostat as well.
Treat it to a full basic service using the above, noting any other faults as you find them, eg low brake pads,worn drop links or spaceship bushes etc.
Now prioritise those items, go on ebay and buy them and do the work yourself.

Hopefully at this point you still have about £100 + left of your budget, there's a guy on here who lives in Saxmundham who is a mobile valeter. Not only does he own and drive a Volvo estate (240 i think) but loves working on them and will come to you and give your new chariot a really good spruce up.

Why this route? At the kind of money you're talking, you'll spend £1000+ on something the trade has done exactly that with except the servicing and the full valet - they would just have cleaned it and made it shiny using the quick stuff. You won't get a guarantee at that kind of money from any trader (unless you pay extra) so you have nothing really to gain from buying from a trader.

As such, you could potentially get yourself a much better car for the same money or a similar car for less money. Even if something went horribly wrong, you'd have a bit of spare £££ to put into sorting it and over a certain price at the auctions, you pay a small indemnity fee that is a very simple/basic guarantee that it's free from any major defects - the time this lasts varies with price of the car and the auction house.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 16:35   #20
psl
Master Member

The red one on ebay ended with no bids, with a buy it now for £1400 I should imagine the seller will be looking for offers over £1000 due to its condition, if its as good as it looks its git to be worth £1400 all day long.
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post: