Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Rear Brake Replace

Views : 1084

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:01   #1
montyboy1

Question XC60 Rear Brake Replace

Hi folks
This is my first post since trading my RAV4 against an XC60.
Seems like a great forum !
My rear pads are at 3mm after 28k miles (front at 5mm). Dealer at recent service suggest rear discs need replacing too. Am planning to do the work myself. Can anyone suggest what size torx bits I will need? I guess they will be large ones so not currently in my toolbox.
Also, any comments welcome re best way to compress EPB piston etc. Will a G Cramp do it?
Thanks in advance...
montyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:57   #2
1monkey600

You can use a g-cramp to push in the pistons, or even a piece of wood and a prybar. Before pushing back the piston you will have to wind back the EPB motor, though.
There are 3 main ways to do this:
1/
VIDA and DICE ( the volvo diagnostic software)- if your car is pre 2015 you can get this from many places online, ebay, etc. After 2015 you typically can only do it through a dealer or independent with current access to Volvo Servers.

2/
Follow the official instructions that Volvo provide in the box of official replacement pads. Basically unscrew the motor from the back of the caliper, unwind the motor drive then reassemble with new o-rings and screws ( not included). A Video of the process here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp9LZ_sOeo and I believe he also mentions what torx bits you need. I think the biggest one is either T50 or T55.

3/
The method I use.
Rewind the motors using a couple of wires and a 9v or 12v battery.

Check out this forum and the 2007 onwards v/xc70 forum for more details. In general you should always check both forums because the cars are pretty much identical outside of chassis/bodywork. If I get a chance I will look for some links for changing rear brakes later.
If you are thinking of doing the front pads, the biggest thing to avoid doing is loosening the obvious big bolts at the back of the calipers. You should only undo the less obvious slider bolts
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 13:16   #3
montyboy1

Exclamation

Thanks v much for the detailed info - much appreciated. Re your point 3 method of using a battery, presumably I pull the plug and make a connection from the 12v battery there. Which poles to which terminals please?
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 22:23   #4
1monkey600

This is how I did mine.
Get two preferably different coloured wires about a metre long with a female spade connector on one end of each wire.

Make sure the Handbrake is ON before you start.

Before touching the brake calipers, pads, etc : open the cable connector plug at the back of the caliper and fit the spade connector ends of the wires inside the connector. Touch the other ends of the wires to the spare battery and if nothing (or very little) happens then swap the battery terminals.
You should hear it winding out for a few seconds then as soon as it stops release the wires from the battery.

You can then remove the spade connectors from the back of the caliper, reconnect the connector plug and carry on as per the old days to remove the pads, disc, etc.

Repeat the process on the other wheel. Once it is all buttoned back up you can use the EPB button to reset the pistons

Connect one wire to one side of the spare car battery or 9v lamp battery. (9v fire alarm battery may work too). Touch and hold the 2nd wire to the other end of battery. If nothing happens reverse the connectors. If it starts whirring away keep cables connected until it stops and then immediately cut the current.

NOTE: This method, like when using VIDA or the official Volvo method (as shown in the above video), only retracts the parking brake screw internally - you still need to lever the piston back into the caliper, separately, to change the pads.

More discussions here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282093
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 13:06   #5
Grimble
Grimble

I did mine earlier this year using the 'wind back' method. So long as you have the right Torx tools its a surprisingly easy job. Genuine Volvo parts were only slightly dearer than pattern and next day delivery from the 'net.

First wheel, just over an hour, second wheel about 35 minutes. I'm not a mechanic.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 15:13   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Please can someone confirm the Torx bit sizes.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 15:38   #7
ianrmz250

Did my 2012 xc60 using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp9LZ_sOeo
He tell you all the Torx sizes during the video.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianrmz250 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 20:43   #8
Toprivetguns

Found this very interesting page in regards to TRW calipers with an EPB. Take note at the bottom of the page about ''pad mode change''. It gives a good guide on changing the pads and recommends not to use a 12v source.

http://kpsautomotiveparts.co.uk/trw-...ing-brake-epb/
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 20:37   #9
JamesSR

You will need a Torx 45 for removing the rear disk from the hub, although some people have noted some are torx 55.

Will check later for the torx on the motor.

Planning to do mine next week - rear discs and brakes - but will use a VIDA/DiCE to place into service mode.
JamesSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 08:24   #10
montyboy1

Default Success !

Thanks for all the advice folks. This forum is excellent.
I replaced pads and discs on my 2015 XC60 D5 SE LUX yesterday. I used the manual wind back method for the electronic parking brake which was simple and easy to do. Undoing the 15mm bolts to release the brake disc was a bit of a battle but otherwise all straightforward. I strongly suggest watching this helpful video first which tells all bolt and torx sizes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp9LZ_sOeo
I used Brembo pads and coated discs so should hopefully last a while. Great prices from Euro Car Parts. N.B. the discs did not come with new bolts so had to re-use the existing.